Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
DaVinci Resolve 9
  • 179 Replies sorted by
  • @Mark_the_Harp If you play around, maybe its worth to look at batch rendering of regions within Sony Vegas. You can do it with mp4 or DNxHD .mov. Just drop all your .mts files into one timeline and render each seperately by discribed scripts.

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/114196#Comment_114196

• I've had a lot of fun with resolve - just exploring. I've tried importing mts's directly by rewrapping them as mov files and while it works, Resolve crashes when trying to track on my win 7 6-core. I notice that if I edit in Vegas 12 and export as mp4 then those clips work fine in Resolve - it never crashes when working like this and the tracking is much quicker. A more sensible workflow too, of course, as you don't want to be grading stuff you might not use! But hey - I'm still playing around at the moment. I love the tracking masks as often the footage I have to work with cannot be gathered with additional lighting and it's quite useful as a way of rescuing that to make it look a bit better.

I find your stuff inspiring, @shian, since you play around with colours the way I do with sound - it's an education for me to start noticing stuff I've never seen before in images. I'm even seeing stuff around the room and adjusting colours in my head! How weird is that?

• @Jspatz I see the same phenomenon. If it's a H264 file it renders out at approx 10fps with DNxHD I achieve average 45fps with GTX570/2600k.

Not only rendering. In general DaVinci behaves fast with DNxHD and lazy with H264...

@shian does it make sense to think about a graphic tablet to work with. I know a full control panel would be best but that's an investment...

• It is actually a 670 and the problem was the codec. H264 does not seem to use the gpu but dnxhd does. It rendered at over 50fps. Resolve is amazing.

• @stonebat Does it have an ATI card? If so, that's the problem.

@Jspatz - yeah. You really want the 680 for peak performance.

• Running great on win 8 with gtx660. The gradeing performance is real time and the gpu comes up in preferences, however in the deliver module, the gpu graph flashes red for an instance and then goes gray. The render occurs at around 9FPS. Does that seem normal to those of you with the greater experience in this? Thanks

• I am not getting another macbook...

• No single crash with Windows 7 yet!

• Darn. Davinci Resolve 9 Lite crashes so often on my 2010 MBP w/ 8 GB ram.

• Using curves in DaVinci.

• @shian Interesting to hear that about 95%. I'm on a Windows i7 quad 2.2 ghz with 16gb ram, so hopefully it'll work. Will try it out. Was reworking my all Premiere workflow into a Premiere/After Effects workflow in order to start "properly" grading footage. But I guess I can just as easily make that a Premiere/Resolve workflow if Resolve gives more control and flexibility on grading/correcting.

BTW - I watched the video just posted on CGhears. Very interesting/compelling.

• @matt_gh2 - Resolve was designed for grading and only grading - every movie you've seen in the last 20 years has a 95% chance of having been graded on a DaVinci system. I only began to use AE because 7 years ago a DaVinci option didn't exist for under $100,000. Now it's $1,000 for the 4K version and the Lite version is free.

The rub is that your system may not run it. My old iMac wouldn't, but my 2007 MacBook Pro ran it fine... it was just slow. It prefers Nvidia cards. The ATI cards can run the GUI, but lose out on the image processing side. [unpredictable results] but it renders in near realtime, which is pretty astonishing.

But you won't know until you try.

• I don't wanna miss the boat... so I jumped on the bandwagon. Hey it's free.

I ran into an issue saying the app can't detect CUDA driver. After installing the latest driver, the app launched no problem. But... it felt so much like Windows experience. This is MAC!!! for god's sake. Darn I hate Apple.

The app is fast, and my MBP is 3 years old. This seems a money saver for me.

• I'm currently using Adobe CS6 (Premiere, After Effects). Do you guys consider Davinci Resolve Lite to be better and why? Thanks

• Yup. If your machine can run it, there is ZERO reason not to. It's not the industry standard by accident.

• Tried DaVinci first time today. What a difference when compared to After Effects!

• Amazing ultra fast and accurate motion tracker (like 1000x faster than AE!)
    • Real time preview! (I have i7-920, 15GB, GTX 660 Ti)
    • Effective adjustment controls
    • Easy export tools
    • (other things that I haven't discovered yet)

Finally I can concentrate on the actual grading instead of waiting!

Look at a clip I created in just minutes. Experimental and fast adjustments. Everything happened ~in real time. Look at how the motion tracker (highlight mask) follows the rowan berries even when them are out of focus! http://tonalt.kapsi.fi/hd/00086400.mov

before.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 278K
    after.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • @tonalt did release workflow tools for Sony Vegas Pro today at http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/6238/edl_convert-workflow-developement-for-sony-vegas-pro-davinci-resolve-#Item_2

Please give me some feedback if you test it....

• @tida Cannot wait! Didn't find any good instructions from web about Vegas - Resolve -workflow.

• So did the frame adjustment and it now works as I expected. DaVinci Resolve really delete last frame of 10bit DNxHD .mov files.

Don't need above mentioned third EDL-File. If you add in COMPOSE a new empty timeline you can drag/drop according to FileName sorted files from the Media Pool to the new timeline...

Maybe today or tomorrow l will start a new topic and release the EDL_Convert Program including mentioned two Sony Vegas Pro Scripts.

• @tinbeo The free version (lite) of Resolve supports audio. IT will export with audio. As far as I know it is identical to the $1,000 version except that it will not export at resolutions higher than 1080p.

• "Regardless of finishing app I always do audio separate and marry audio with video losslessly in QT Pro."

Never try myself with Davincy. I was just wondering the free version could or could not export the audio

• not sure what you are asking, but yes I have the lite version installed right now.

They are checking your license :-)

• not sure what you are asking, but yes I have the lite version installed right now.

• @ shian Are you experience DaVincy on Free Lite Version?