Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 rumors topic
  • 869 Replies sorted by
  • @danyyyel

Thing is that corporations work differently. They know how to set the price and usually they are much better in this. Especially better than so called "internet gurus" who are usually wrong in 90% of cases.

• If Panasonic were smart, they wouldn't peg the GH3 at $2k and above. For that amount, i would rather fork out another $1k for BMCC.

• I bet it will cost between $1500 and $1800. It seems logical that if they add features that ups the picture quality of the GH2, and add things like a headphone port, and manual mic levels, real hdmi out, the price will go up. This frees up room for a "middle" model with stripped features -- wouldn't be surprised if they introduce two models, because Panasonic are hot on the X designation right now. Personally, I don't like having too many models, but most companies seem to love it. Besides, they want to price it closer to other offerings in the market, like the Canon 5D MarkIII, and the BMCC. Not saying these camera's are all similar, but that's where Panasonic will want to place it. I hope it has a AVC-Intra option.

• Lets not bring BMCC to this discussion as GH3 is diferent beast.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev hopefully they don't do us a Canon Cinema line :-) I think that they will know that they are more as an underdog who is there to conquer market share. They have a unique opportunity because of the advances they have in the video side and should capitalise on that. A gh2 with hopefully better DR, better viewfinder, better low light, better body, better codec at about $ 1000 , would take the $ 500-3000 dslr video market. There would just be no alternative. The stepping up or down (depending on what is important for each and everyone) would be the BMC at $ 3000.

• I think some people should go out and look at other site than gh2 ones when they think that it would be a good move for Pana to price the gh3 in the $ 1500/2000 range. They would have a better perspective where the gh2/gh3 would stand in the general dslr/mirror less photo/hybrid camera market.

• StoneBat> Planning for unboxing video? :)
    Rambo> Yep, i'm just gunna invite Lee and Nick over, put the box in the middle of the room and watch the cardboard fly :->

Take 120p and do slow-mo. Hehe.

• as @vitaliy_kiselev has already pointed out thousand times, mirrorless and dsrl are different markets so guessing gh3 price based on dxxxxx price is clueless.

I remember there was a post here somewhere showing last xmas sales figure demonstrating that the dslr market has rised worldwide and japan is the only market when mirrorless is gaining sales over dsrl.

Last but not the least: maybe you are so used havinng your gh2 inyour drawer that you don't remember how it was fucking expensive at launch. Same with gh1.

• http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-hot-new-panasonic-gh3-specifications/

I know it's still rumors but I can't find any 1080 60p of that list!? The other details look good so far :) (if true)

• @azza

Interval shooting and slow motion. Slow Movie extension (40%, 50%, 80%) Fast 160/ 200 / 300%

This thing is calculated from the base 24fps.

24*100/40=60 :-)

• Holy smokes Batman 'external XLR accessory'

• I added Andrea version to top post with some corrections.

Main issue is that rumor and the like sites fight now for posting first.

They still did not get rumors from their usual source - press event. So, it is all not perfectly accurate yet.

• erasing unconfirmed speculations

• '30p/25p in MP4, MOV and AVCHD' MOV?

• @apefos

Be sceptical considering any such claims.
    Rumor sites usually like to add speculations.

• @Jizzyjones

Just forget about this line altogether.

• If you add like 500-600$ to that price ppl just rather buy the BlackMagic camera!

• If you add like 500-600$ to that price ppl just rather buy the BlackMagic camera!

Yep, thanks for this. Otherwise we could have missed this.

And if you deduct $600, you can buy perfect P&S that includes the lens (for free!) and shoots 1080p60 videos. So, do not waste your money on GH3.

• I started to think about: if I was just a script writer, would i keep on forums talking about the rumors of new pen, pencil and paper? or rumors of script writer softwares, maybe inkjet or laser printers, or bookbinding machines? Hey man there is a new release much better than computer, it is a typewriter, it is better because you type and print simultaneously! And it got hacked... now you can erase a wrong typed character!

• I would be talking about characters, motivation, structure, suspense, the intricacies of plot, the elements of narrative. Color, depth of field, focal distance, lighting, movement, rhythm, sound are the elements of visual narrative.

• @apefos

Generally much worse things exist already. Check any audiophile forums.

• A year ago, it was rumored (mouth-to-mouth, nowhere on the internet) that the GH3 might sport XLRs. I'm not saying THAT one is true...

Just don't be surprised. It wouldn't be very hard to figure out a simple module that matches the camera and connects to the 2.5Jack converting it into a dual XLR.

Might take batteries or something.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Those slow motion modes are great if you know when you need to shoot slow motion. However, there are a lot of times when shooting unscripted live action sports that you don't know if you will need slow motion or not or if you will need the sound or not.

Having a straight up 1080p @ 60 FPS mode with audio gives you the best of both worlds. I can extract the slow motion from any portion of it or just throw out half the frames for perfect 30p with Audio.

I would be shocked if the GH3 does not shoot 1080p @ 60 FPS with audio. That truly would be a big disappointment for my needs and it would make me strongly consider the FZ200 instead since the 120 FPS or higher modes are what is really necessary for good slow motion.

Otherwise the GH3 looks great. We spoke and it appears that have listened for the most part.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I wonder if the 80% slow motion mode will be sourced from 30p? It wouldn't make sense to output a 48 fps file, would it?

Also I wonder if the 50% will be sourced from 48p, or 60p, or even 120p? If 24p is truly the base for all of those modes then some of them will have to be sourced from 30p(80%) or 48p(50%).

My guess is that 80% is 30p rendered at 24p. 50% is 60p rendered to 30p, and 40% is 60p rendered to 24 FPS. That just doesn't make sense if there is a true 1080p @ 60 FPS mode with audio as all of those could easily be done in post with 1080p @ 60 FPS as the source.

• would be shocked if the GH3 does not shoot 1080p @ 60 FPS with audio. That truly would be a big disappointment

Just calm down. So much noise out of one lazy line on the rumors site who had his usual sources cut this time :-) All will be ok.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions