Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 1: v3b Rocket - v4b Orion - v5 β Pictoris
  • 1019 Replies sorted by
  • Even with modding settings to scale to the same frame size for HBR/25p, there is still a discrepancy of smaller frames. So I lowered the QP. The changed settings don't affect 24H, except where I've lowered QP.

Quantum v3 RC (settings that were for HBR modded to scale for 25p vs 24H).

24H, frame size ~244kb
    25p, frame size ~184kb
    25p (QP14), frame size ~225kb
    25p (QP13), frame size ~250kb

Achieved quite close to the same frame size as 24H for the exact same shot. Although 24H will be bigger again at QP14 and QP13, but the point was to match the frame size to the stock patch. It's quite difficult to tell any improvement quality in sharpness, but QP13 appears sharper than the others, QP14 appears less compression artefacts (also less than QP13 oddly), but QP13 doesn't appear worse than others in compression artefacts for the test shot.

I attached what the settings file, I hope this helps other PAL users for improved HBR mode/25p. I'm going to test it outdoors now on longer record times.

The attached file has a QP of 13. I don't think it'd be too wise for 24H.

edit: A heads up, getting card speed limit errors on complex scenes outdoors, been running into this wall with HBR a lot when trying to increase the bitrate, when I've been able to record much higher bitrates in 24H. Perhaps since it goes through the line at 50i, somewhere in the firmware the error function or another place sees it cant write at a speed of generated frame size x 50fps (even though it's 25fps).\

I also tried recording 24H with QP13... works just fine, an

As the same QP gives much larger 24H than HBR/24p, it's something to do with the HBR mode handling.

I'd be interested in seeing someone try this on the 64GB Sandisk SDXC superfast card, to see if it errors out as well.

QX3 RC Mod.zip
    922B
  • @chauncy "click on the white doc"

thanks! i think i tried everything...but that!!!

@disastronaut thanks as well.

• @touviere7 Make sure you are logged in, otherwise you can't download anything.

• @Oedipax Thanks. Graded in Magic Bullet Looks, if you can really call clicking a preset and messing with a couple parameters "grading", that is ^_^. Smooth profile -2 on everything.

• @touviere7

Refer to beginner section or any of the hack guides that are around. Start here: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2317/ptool-v3.64d-topic/p1 You click on the white docs and download them. Then follow guides how to hack.

• hi guys, following with great interest all those patches for the gh2. yes, many thanks to nick and to vitaliy indeed. just wondering how to use those white documents posted at the top of the thread. i haven't been able to look at them. i'm interested to try the v4 orion and was wondering what is the difference with aquamotion v2.

thanks.

• So far Orion is very encouraging on a San Disk Extreme SD 45mbs. It doesn't span in the 24H but does span in 24L.

Bitrate for 24L = 81,526 Bitrate for 24H = 145,895

Bitrate for 720/60p = 34,564

This is great. Now I just need a decent lens!

• @disastronaut, very nice! Did you do any grading? What profile were you using?

• @artardi, I actually meant that Vitaliy and driftwood should get an oscar for technical achievement, well at least a nomination :)

• @ Driftwood thx for the clear discription , i went and downloaded the v4 =) i'll test it tomorrow , love from belgium ! =)

• Quick edit with Orion, very pleased.

CBR indeed. :)

orion.png
    1295 x 681 - 506K
  • Not as nutty as @artardi's video but I wanted to see how well it would take a bit of levels / curves and Neat noise reduction. So this is Rocket V3 at ISO 320 using a Nikon 1.4 at f2 in very low light. 24H, class 6 card. Just handheld stuff.

• based on these screen grabs, there is no way that either YouTube or Vimeo can relay the awesomeness of these patches. I can't wait to load them into my GH2. Thanks, Driftwood and Vitaliy

• Did a stress test with the latest rocket patch. It is much more stable than the previous version. I can not however get it to span on a class 10 30 mb/s sandisk extreme card. This setting isn't designed to be span friendly, right?

Would the CBR setting span or is it the same?

• @edgenumbers @driftwood, thanks for the feedback on spanning. I'll do some tests in the airport lounge and see if I can get Orion to span with Q=0.

• Do they give Oscars for this kind of work? :)

• @artardi That's a nuts demo!
    @chauncy Thanks mate, your sound 'no bullshit' reporting has been an inspiration.

• Quantum v3 Rocket thanks Nick

• @klem007 In simple terms:

v2 Rocket VBR is now superceeded by v3 Rocket RC - an adaptive or variable bitrate setting which only matches bitrate to roughly the quality of the subject matter (seen on a graph the peaks wave up and down according to bitrate estimated for the subject on a constant Quantiser coding level). Sizes of files will be smaller.

In contrast, v4 Orion works more like a constant bitrate codec (imitation) - giving the same bitrate attack ALL the time to the subject matter (seen on a graph the peaks stay constant - therefore, the quantiser is working hard to allocate the best quality Q to the image and use all of the available allocated bitrate). Sizes of files will be naturally larger.

Hope that helps. NIck

• @driftwood

Orion may be the best of all. I won't test the new rocket right now

Although I am in the middle of moving from oregon to stockholm, I did test a little. with 95mb 64 gb sandisk.

1080i did write error with lumix x lens during a zoom.

I could NOT crash 720/60 sh with either 14-140 or 14-45 x with full af and zooming and panning. No wierdness in stream parser, birate between 50 and 60. Clean nice image.

24p looked great, HBR was also stable

I don't care about 1080i. I am cautiously optimistic that we may now have a stable high bitrate 720p 60 setting.

Premature Congrats to driftwood.

• I may have missed this, but any report on Orion's spanning on 64gb SDXC card?

• Can somone tell me what the difference is gonna be with v3 and v4 in stead of the v2 ? is it even better or does it have other perks? I'm having a hard time getting the technical terms so if someone could explain it on dummy level.. thx!

• @cyfernoa - How do you get the lens to focus so quick?? My 14-140 takes an age!

• Orion is amazing!! This is a screen grab taken at 640 iso, 24p video in a not very well lit room, no colour grading, straight of the camera. The quality is something else...can't wait to test in the daylight tomorrow. Thanks @driftwood

Athena GH2 1080p Screen Grab.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 458K
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions