Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV Telegram channel! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Panasonic S1 FF Camera - copy of Nikon Z6
  • 233 Replies sorted by
  • Considering phase AF - for video it is not much useful tech at all.

You need true depth map.

• Just seems like this community loves to shit on and nitpick every camera that comes out.

Every normal community is doing this :-) Manufacturer will wash your ears with all pluses anyway.

If you want to hear big prizes at community anyway need to go to officially curated places (all big ones have special people assigned by Panasonic who work with moderators in unison, or you though that lot of bots can go unnoticed for years otherwise?).

• I don't get it, pricing on body & lenses comparable to Nikon, Canon, Sony mirrorless. But those cameras can't shoot 10-bit internal. Or 4K60 in any crop. Or have crazy dual IS.

Personally I would rather more ability to grade, have thicker images and more color with 10-bit and just focus manually. Plus, seems like a very serviceable full frame photo camera, true hybrid. I guess if you do weddings, events or selfies/v-logs it's a bummer.

Just seems like this community loves to shit on and nitpick every camera that comes out.

• "Also had been told that Panasonic returned to old nice times with special team making comments on all major sites and social networks. On how impressive cameras are."

@Vitaliy_Kiselev Yes, I've seen this, they try to hide and deny any negative aspect of the cameras/lenses/system, although there are obvious flows like the obvious poor continuous AF performance, low battery live (although the battery is very large), huge camera weight, lack of free angle display, lack of pro video features, high prices etc.

"I am shocked that Nikon Z-6 has better autofocus for video compared to the Panasonic S1. Hopefully they can fix that with a firmware update."

@Azo Thre's nothing to be shocked about, Panasonic still uses CDAF only (which by nature will never be good for keeping up with moving subjects), and the Nikon utilizes PDAF in their new ML cameras.

Panasonic's DFD CDAF is a dead end! I must be buried and replaced with a proper/good/reliable PDAF system if they want to sell cameras in the future!

• @Eno I am shocked that Nikon Z-6 has better autofocus for video compared to the Panasonic S1. Hopefully they can fix that with a firmware update. Competition is good for everybody ;-)

• Also had been told that Panasonic returned to old nice times with special team making comments on all major sites and social networks. On how impressive cameras are.

• Note that used LCD is RGBW kind with very weird color accuracy and different feel if you hike brightness (as all extra brightness come via white that has different spectrum).

It is also quite low res, despite advertisements

• 2.1M RGBW dots are 525,000 pixels in reality
    • 1.2M RGB dots are 400,000 pixels in reality

Also RGBW small screens are very bad for focus judgment due to pixel structure.

• @konjow Me too, especially from the right image that's most of the time in focus. :)

• I like his tshirt :)

• @vitaliy

Special note I never made before - stay away from doing any preorders for both Panasonic S cameras. Keep calm.

Haha, your special notes are very memorable! Infamous Vitaliy citation from page 1 of GH5 thread...

Buy Samsung NX1 and become calm, calm, calm :-)

:-)

• @vitaliy

I'm certain you meant contagious parasite, not virus.

https://www.sciencealert.com/mind-altering-cat-parasite-linked-to-schizophrenia-in-largest-study-yet

"PLEASE KITTY, GIVE ME MAXIMUM APERTURE!! I WANT TO BE A CAMERA MANUFACTURER!!!"

serveimage.gif
    480 x 270 - 745K
  • @vitaliy I dont. I just trying to think from their perspective How far they need to "sell them-self" with same products..

• @DrDave

I have the draft theory. Japanese managers are so afraid of smartphones that they try to ax anything that looks similar to them or weight not so much. They want to distance themselves and their product as far as they can. Can be some instinctive thing. Look at the Olympus, they managed to do same even with m43. Or may be it is some contagious virus.

• I'm so glad we are finally returning to big, heavy, chunky, expensive cameras that overheat and have big, heavy expensive lenses.
    (Adds another G85 to the fleet and bolts the $25 Rokkor 50/1.4 onto the front)

• @konjow

You should never trust in anything related to firms they represent, ever.

• @EspenB yes Best video about S1 so far :)

BTW Im kind of sorry for Panasonic "Ambassadors" now. It will be difficult to not lie for them and then still trust them after this realise.

• @EspenB This guy is totally right, Panasonic only had to do a GH5 full frame with phase detect auto focus! But nooo, they had to screw the very good GH5 free angle display and use the same crappy CDAF that literally sucks! Please excuse my language but that's the sad truth. :(

This time I say NO to Panasonic, I whon't spend my money ever again on any of their new cameras until they release products with a VERY GOOD PDAF!

• About the CDAF performance on the Panasonic S1's (source, the above video).

Panasonic S1.jpg
    2167 x 2686 - 1M
  • I was just watching the BHPhoto video and they mention that this will use VLog and not VLogL, which should allow for the full dynamic range of the sensor. I hope this is true. That's my biggest complaint with the GH5/s line. See the mention here at 4:28.