Personal View site logo
Panasonic S1 FF Camera - copy of Nikon Z6
  • 275 Replies sorted by
  • From CP++

sa7239.jpg
    800 x 518 - 47K
  • Video AF look promising

• Unbelievable! Panasonic has jumped the shark so hard, I actually found that Tony Northrup video a breath of fresh air. Panasonic has finally achieved parity with Nikon and Canon in overpriced full-frame mirrorless camera systems.

• @LPowell interesting take. Curious how you come to that conclusion? To me, someone is finally going to make a ff cam with all the features I've been looking for in almost a decade. Kind of like a 1DC that's actually usable for 1/3rd the price. Can't quite figure out how that's jumping sharks much less 'hard' :)

• @c3hammer It's not so much the camera that's over the top as the entire L-mount system. The inadequate selection of lenses available at release are obscenely overpriced, and everyone knows it's because of that Leica brand name. As for the camera's features, the only things that aren't a downgrade from the GH5 are the FF sensor and Vlog (instead of Vlog L), neither of which justify the premium price. The other FF mirrorless systems at least offer an adapter for each brand's legacy FF lenses, but with Panasonic you're SOL.

For what it's worth, the Nikon Z's leave me cold as well, the Canons don't even make the grade, and every Sony product I ever bought self-destructed. Full frame is a great format for still photos, but it's a colossal PITA for video, particularly when you need hand held stabilization or hours-long event takes. If what you really want is the "film look" in a still camera format, then go APS-C or MFT with a speedbooster. And yes, the next video camera I buy will most likely be a 2nd gen BMPCC4K.

• Fair enough, but I grew up watching Ben Hur, Grand Prix, Patton and the likes of Sound of Music that were all shot on 70mm. It's just another level from super 35 and apc if you ask me. Full frame digital video has always reminded me of that era. Not the same, but for me, finally for an individual to actually be able to come close in our over digitalized world is pretty cool. Lots of cams that do ff or even medium format, but they are all clunky and nothing like the refined video capability of the Panasonics.

You have to admit that 'big' look is not easily achievable with m43. Marginally at APSC. Obviously big production s35 can get it done, but that's never been realistic for the individual flying solo. Arri, Red, Cooke, etc... it's possible, but that's an order of magnitude more expensive even than S1 P/Leica 50mm combo. As crazy as that S1/50mm combo is in price it's got an image I haven't seen from any other ff system out there and it's still $1500 cheaper than a 1dx body!

Definitely looking forward to seeing real world with this thing before chunking it to the garbage heap. Especially considering the headshot images I've been paying particular attention to.

Cheers, Pete

• By 'big look' you mean the paper thin dof? How else is a m43 video different from a FF one? (not taking into account the differences in lenses, codecs and color science) If it's just dof, you can quite easily get a similar result with a speedbooster/fast lens combo.

• @brudney, not about razor thin depth of field really. It's more of a perspective vs depth of field, but this is probably not the place to get into this discussion :)

• Free battery grips I see now on launch.

I presume the preorders are flat.

• How it could be

• Review

Panasonic now produce worst quality video from competition

https://www.lesnumeriques.com/appareil-photo-numerique/panasonic-lumix-s1-p51363/test.html

sa7422.jpg
    799 x 898 - 96K
  • Firmware v1.0

• GH5s have not a true VLOG but a vlog-L. The rumor say that S1 will have a pro VLOG version coming half 2019. And I need to admit that S1 have a fabulous rendering out of box. So perhaps my next and last baby ^^

• Another great and informative video by Richard Wong.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pCOaQag-1tw

Unfortunately the continuous AF as expected is bad! It's a pity that Panasonic is so stubborn and insists not to use PDAF in their cameras.

With a very good PDAF system and a flippy screen, those cameras would have sold like hot cakes, but in their current state are not very interesting!

• Happy to share great impressions of most awaiting and inspiring event, presentation new Panasonic full frame cameras S1 and S1R and L mount lenses. Lumix S series 2019 Regional Launch in Tasmania. Shot on LUMIX S1 and 24-105 F4.0 and Lumix 50 F1.4.