Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic, series 4
  • 586 Replies sorted by
  • Closed to avoid conflicts between settings for new and old PTool.

Next part at
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2318/official-low-gop-topic-series-5

• @onionbrain The professional AVCCAM tools used in the broadcast industry have certainly established their value in that context. However, AVCCAM was designed and optimized for videotape equipment working with interlaced 60i transport media. These systems impose very different technical contraints on real-time video recording than do SD cards.

There are two technical factors that make CBR recording advantageous for broadcast applications. The HDV tape mechanisms work at a constant tape speed, producing a constant bitrate. Likewise, video broadcast channels are allocated a fixed amount of bandwidth, which makes CBR a natural fit.

SD cards, however, work under neither of these constraints, and CBR recording will impose an inflexible bitrate that is either insufficient or wasteful for any particular subject matter. AVC encoders are designed to produce VBR bitstreams and work most efficiently when allowed to vary their bitrate to accommodate the constantly changing demands of video recording. And with the GH2's AVCHD encoder, there's no way to force it to maintain a constant bitrate "between 63 and 72 Mbps" or any other number.

As for the long-GOP versus Intra debate, I've found that there is a measurable, objective difference. With a standard AVCHD encoder, P and B-frames are recorded at a coarser level of quality than I-frames, and this fact alone gives Intra encoding a static image quality advantage (as long as it has adequate bitrate for the subject matter). In addition, Intra encoding is not subject to the motion artifacts that can occur when long-GOP encoders run out of bitrate. (Intra encoders will instead produce coarse macroblocks when they run out of bitrate.)

As you point out, Intra encoders are extremely inefficient and routinely waste large amounts of file space. My conclusion is that the optimal SD card recording formats are short-GOP encodings that produce 8-12 keyframes per second. To maintain Intra-frame quality levels in short-GOP recordings, howeve, it's vital to encode P and B-frames with the same quality as I-frames. This is what I was able to do the my Flow Motion patch, and at this point, the GH2 is the only available videocamera capable of being configured to record in this manner.

• *** NEW *** Driftwood Quantum 100 v3 (incorporating the AVC-Intra 100 Matrix) Includes 1080p24 and HBR Mode on Intra, 1080i INTRA, 720 GOP6.

Standard Q settings for overall similar quantisation. Good quality for overall usage.

If you feel you want to lower Q to achieve better quantisation and quality be careful, you can go all the way down to low Quant (eg 16 ) on 1080 modes but judge for yourself if you perceive it looks better, it looks odd on the charts but it will drive the bitrate higher to a more constant level.

The first of the Quantum patches to make use of custom scaling matrixes for your testing.

Driftwood Quantum v100 v3 AVC-Intra 100 matrix - setg.zip
    860B
  • @cosimo_bullo @fancydancer Thanks! It was a joy to shoot - more so because of my rockin' GH2. And looks like it's doing it's job, because a lot of people say they want to go check out the stores after seeing it :-).

Regarding DOF, glad you noticed. I was pretty specific about not going overboard with it.

Looking forward to the new PTools and next crop of patches. Should be an interesting couple of months.

• @driftwood

My genuine thanks. You've already changed the world.

• @LPowell

I'm an admirer of your work.

"Sorry, but there's nothing special about AVCCAM, it's just an early version of AVCHD that Panasonic chose to implement in their pro video cameras."

I am absolutely certain that this is a perfectly reasonable response from someone with your background -- someone who has been staring at encoding data for months. From the perspective of the broadcast community -- I can report that there are at least two major TV stations in the Washington DC area that use those external Panasonic AVCCAM recorders for broadcast, and a series of articles/blogs from relatively serious producers around the world who describe outstanding results -- at least two of whom couldn't differentiate it from AVCintra100. And, as computers and post applications have advanced over the past three years, AVCCAM has been very gradually embraced by serious users for serious purposes. Whatever the specifics of the encoding behind AVCCAM -- the bottom line is that it's a LongGOP format that a range of serious people take seriously.

"A constant bitrate is useful for broadcast and streaming media, but offers no technical advantages in video capture applications."

Respectfully, this is a very highly debatable position on a range of levels. Almost all higher end production solutions offer a CBR option, and there are many out there who have a series of issues with VBR at capture. Again, you may be responding relative to your experience, and I'm certainly not here to argue anything about the GH2 with you. Relative to more generalized producers -- yeah -- CBR can matter.

Now -- AVCCAM is not CBR, and I never suggested a CBR version of AVCCAM. What I requested is something that remains constant between 63 and 72 Mbps -- exactly three times the bit rate of AVCCAM (meaning it doesn't drop below 63).

" Long-GOP formats are likewise effective for commercial delivery formats such as DVD and Blu-ray, but are not optimal for real-time encoders with constrained resources and time frames."

Well, yeah, and no one disputes this in a general context. If all things are equal, sure, you pick intraframe over LongGOP. But, two things. First, LongGOP is a hell of a lot more efficient in terms of file sizes, and second, post production technologies have greatly evolved over the past decade to make LongGOP streams a viable production option. Beginning with the old "DV" and continuing all the way through to AVCCAM and NXCAM -- especially an NLE like Premiere Pro can work very, very seamlessly with LongGOP and deliver to any broadcast and/or distributor standard.

But, the intra vs. long-gop discussion really doesn't relate to my request for an AVCCAM clone with the bitrate multiplied by three.

Again, I am an admirer of your work and I'm rooting for all of you guys who are not only making a unique camera, but actually changing the marketplace.

• @5thwall I enjoyed watching your video. Also you didn't go overboard with shallow depth of field (which I find distracting sometimes).

• @5thwall - Wow, just a great little doc. We're in SF at the moment, but may have a job in LA next month. If so, I'm heading over to buy some vinyl! Good stuff all the way around, man... broadcast ready.

• I don't think there was a Seaquake 244. That was a different, earlier version that was good but nowhere near as good as the later patches.

It seems to me the blacks in the seaquake have less color noise in them than quantum 7 or 9. All three of these patches look amazing.

• @driftwood, can you tell me more about Quantum 100 is that's okay with you? :)

• @driftwood Thanks! It was fun to shoot. Wish I had shot this in time for your demo reel.

Spanmybitch held up quite nice. Have you made any updated patches that are similar in scope for being safe for spanning with low gop?

• @5thwall Very nice work mate. Really interesting to watch and looks great too.

• @ehr thanks. really appreciate your comments. sending you a pm.

• @5thwall, cool video. I shot something at Vacation not long ago and had the intention of shooting at Wombleton...that place is great, but I never did. Solid camera work and editing.

• And while we're on the topic of Seaquake, is there a reason to go back to the Seaquake 244 mbit patch? I did a few tests and the results were amazing (when I could actually get it to play back), but I never went back to do an A/B comparison.

I'm looking for the patch with the highest quality 1080p settings, without regard to anything else. If anyone could shed some light, it'd be much appreciated.

• Giving up on 1080 50i from Quantum 100 with SanDisk 32MBs HD Video - Lots of camera freezing.

• @spaceandtime. I have tried both Seaquake and Quantum V9b. As Driftwood put it, Seaquake uses more constant rates where Quantum has variable rate controller. I have used Seaquake 24H at 160/154 mb/s and 24L set to 100mb/s. I also changed the AQ=3. This configuration allows me to span and use EXTC mode using my Transcend SDXC 64GB card and the 24L will record at 80% slomo on my Sandisk Extreme 32GB 30mb/s card. I could not span with V9b. I have played both patches side by side and could not see the difference in quality and motion. May be I don't have as keen of an eye as others. However, if you want motion, I am using Sanity patch for 1080i60 and 720p60 at 44/32 mb/s. I set my 720p60 AQ=0 and I am getting very good picture quality and very smooth motion on fast panning and fast motion scenes and works with EXTC mode. Hope this helps.

• Finally got the go ahead to post this. I shot this in January for a local radio station, KCRW. It's mini-doc on the record store scene here in L.A.

Shot it with spanmybitchup on Sandisk Extreme 32GB and 16GB cards. Used the 7-14mm and the 25mm voigt. Lots of fun putting all my equipment to the test. Did very minimal color correction. Audio recorded with Rode Videomic feeding H4N into GH2 directly. Edited in FCP 7.

Thanks driftwood and Vitaliy! Looking forward to all the good stuff around the corner.

• I have a question that I haven't really seen a clear answer for yet. But if someone doesn't mind answering, what is the difference between quantum 9b at 24h versus seaquake at 24h? I know quantum has been said to be better overall in the modes(60p,etc). But coming down to quality or motion is their a difference between both seaquake and quantum 9b 24h's? I've been following along for a while now but have seen hints at there strong points: Seaquake, 24h = Pure Quality Quantum 9b, 24h = Motion? Is this how it goes?

• @onionbrain : You wrote " but 4:2:2 doesn't mean the same thing it meant four years ago now that editors (NLE's) are ingesting, correcting, and editing at 12 bit 4:4:4)". 422 keeps double chroma samples than 420 and this the application you use to process your footage won't change this fact. NLEs ingest footage as it is and (at least FC and AVID) always has processed as 444 withe the bit depth available (10b Floating point in FC since FC4.5).

• Great story Dave.

• Anyone at all may i ask?

Anyways, I am thinking of going ahead with the Quantum 100, is it possible if someone can tell me abit more about this one? and if it's completely stable at all?

• I've been using Aquamotion 2 and Quantum 100 a lot lately for doc work and they have been fantastic I've been able to span past 15 minutes on a not so great card, the Transcend 64 gig and my solid 32 SanDisk Extreme. Thank you Driftwood. Here is a SD sample of a piece I did for the BBC. The Art Of Boxing:

• @sebben What card, detail type were you filming when it crashed?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions