Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic, series 4
  • 586 Replies sorted by
  • Mission Impossible 4 Spoof made with Quantum V6

• Shot some with quantum 7 today.. Spanning did not work in L on a sandisk 16Gb 30mb/s at first, after an in-camera format I tried again (low intensity scene) and then It kept going.. (I didn't let it record the whole card). I wouldn't hold my breath for it to span in a scene that pushes it, though. It seems like it's it's just on the edge of what the card is capable of.

• @Raysito22, I don't think anyone can say with certainty that the exFAT filesystem is the reason the 64-GB 95 MB/sec SanDisk card spans at the highest recording bit rates. It might just be a faster card.

• @sohus, Seaquake has been stable on my 32gb transcend class 10. It spanned on H setting the other night on fireworks ISO 2500, but the average bitrate there was 80 mbit as it was mostly black. But its perfectly stable on mine even in the most complex of scenes with max bitrate.

Tried out new Quantum V7, it's perfectly fine on my card.

• I had issues with V7 on my Sandisk 32g 10 cards. I'm sure it may have been posted somewhere and I missed it, but I couldn't get further than 10 minutes clips.

• @balazer - exFAT doesn't seem to be the reason.. at least not the sole reason. I did a test today, formatting a 16gb 30mb/s sandisk to exFAT - had to reformat it in the camera and after it was read as a FAT32.. I did a spanning test with it aswell and there was no success. (just like jfro's experience).

I did not expect it to work, because then there would have been no need for spanning at all on the 95mb/s cards. (exFAT has no file size limit) Had to try it out, anyway! :)

• Regarding V7, I'm using a Transcend 32Gb Class 10 card and I would like to report that spanning does not work even for 24L setting.

• oops my bad... spanning does work in 24L. i had the mistake of loading the the files individually in clipwrap, i should have dropped the entire avchd folder. :) but another thing, it stops recording after 10 minutes.

• this is my first post ~ (my english is bad)

I use Quantum v7 on my GH2 , it's work , but after shot any video (all type) , i can't playback any video on my gh2

but when i restart off/on the power , i can play it ! Anybady can help me to solve ? Thanks!

sdcard is sandisk extrame pro 95mb/s

• V5 is ok but 720/60p sometimes dons't work about card speed limit , today i want to solve it with V7 , come another problem ...

• @jfro, @RRRR, @balazer, changing sdhc cards to exFat using windows utility is useless. And the SD tool doesn't do it neither. But, as far as my knowledge goes, the biggest difference between those 2 cards, is the file system. What's strange too, is that, while GH2 is compatible with SDXC cards, which are all exFat (it's part of the specification), it doesn't record bigger than 4gig files (which is kind of the things exFat is made for).

I guess we should be talking about this in the Extreme Pro post. Anyway, I might be wrong, it was my guess as this has been the first reliable, fast SDXC card. So if it's not the X what's making the difference, I truely don't know. Vitaly or DW might tell us something to understand better what's up with these cards.

Cheers.

• @Raysito22 It seems like the camera understands the sdxc cards as FAT32 even though they are exFAT. Most likely there is something more in play than the file system only, but I don't know enough to say what that would be.

Mind, I did a complete erase in disk utility / mac to change my sandisk 16gb into exFAT.

• I'm getting a 32G SD card. So what is currently the most compatible with V7? I go to check out the San Disks and get confused with those Extreme, Pro, Video Pro?

• @Raysito22 In the traditional sense, like any hard drive/SSD drives/chips, the closer (smaller) you can put reduce the size of the memory cell's the more data can be held/and effective speed writes&reads will increase. Sandisk have just doubled to 128Gb/45mb/s UHS-I SDXC card which suggests more is being squeezed out of the technology - and it looks like they'll probably go further...

• @Raysito22

Thanks. I went ahead and got two 64gb Sandisk Extreme Pro Cards instead of chancing the 32Gbs. Not worth the headache of testing them out. Haha.

I need to be able to roll longer than 4 minutes, I shoot Comedy narrative a lot and having to cut for performance is a no no for me. Also, interviews, etc.

Finally bought a personal GH2 as well, loaded up on accessories. PL mount time. etc.

• @driftwood, i'm not sure Sandisk put out a 128G 95MB/s card. i think it's 'only' 45MB/s. am i wrong?

• @rozroz you are right/ corrected.

• @disneytoy -- if you want to span on the latest quantum settings I believe you need the 64 gig not 32 gig cards.

Will be trying out the latest quantum on a shoot today. Shot over 100 gigs of stuff on aquamotion of several large and remote mayan ruin sights -- love how it looks, especially how the gh2 handles the jungle's greens. Free time permitting will put it up soon.

Has everyone made a new year donation to Vitaliy? Even $5 each from everyone reading this thread will go a long way.

• I just put down 20 a few days ago.

• Is there anyone that can help combine QV7's AVCHD Mode settings with 1080i Settings that are equal to or close enough? Just realized I need a 1080/60i patch for interview/29.97 shooting.

Have the right cards to span

• Quantum v7 1080i is probs as high as youre going to get 1080i at the moment, you wont get anywhere near 24H kind of level. We keep trying to find new ways of 'spreading the load' but the cpu is probably going to max out on anything better...

• Hmmm. What's the bitrate on the 1080i Quantum V7? I'm getting 25mb/s. That correct?

Might have to go MJPEG 1080/30 if I want something that looks decent?

• Think it was around the 70M mark on some of the tests I was resolving.

• @kholi Try Ralph_B's Sanity 3.1 patch for 1080i and 720p60 at FSH/SH 44mb/s and FH/H 32mb/s. I am using it and it looks great.

• @kholi (and anyone else)... I did a quick look through this thread and another--maybe I'm missing something, but has anyone actually confirmed that the sandisk 64gb spans on quantum 7? what about in camera playback with sound? For now, I've temporarily reverted back to spanmybitchup.. which still is quite good quality but spans and playsback everything nicely... (i need sleep!) ha.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions