Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 driftwood hack in shootout with Canon C300
  • 471 Replies sorted by
  • JDN,
    Are you saying an Avid man as myself should'nt go into any trouble messing around with 5DtoRGB?
    We're good with DNxHD 175?
    I'm very relieved :)
  • @whiterabbit, no problem. One interesting note on colour correct -- work on avid at home but fcp at work, and maybe I'm just biased but I really find that the prores hq does not do as well with mts files as avid dnxhd 175 X (or 220). Have tried transcoding to prores with FCP, clipwrap and 5DtoRGB and none of them match dnxhd to my eyes....

But sorta irrelevant as the screengrabs were just straight out of the camera from mplayerx screengrab. Regardless, thanks for the compliments and glad to be of help.

PS: I reserve the right to go back on the warm card for outdoor use. I still feel its a tossup outdoor between manual balance to grey and to warm. But indoor, warm card all the way for me.
  • @JDN, thank you for clarification regarding the camera settings. I have been shooting Nostalgic, now going to revert back to Smooth and shoot/learn more. I have been shooting all -2, and even then, I usually drop saturation in Colorista. I have some cards, various gel, so I will try that warm card option soon, see if I can match your impressive skin tone rendition, above. Thank you.
  • @whiterabbit, sorry man, busy day wasn't following the threads -- Smooth, -2, -2, 0, -2 is my go to setting at the moment. Actually confused a bit (not in a bad way, just inquisitive why @EOSHD recommends +2 on NR on his blog -- would be curious to burrow a little more into that). For me, though, the big difference has been the warm cards -- wish I was getting referral money from this but I'm not. In fact, I think you could make your own with pieces of coloured paper. But I find warm 1 (just a very very light blue) really has made that difference with skin tones that I was looking for (and man, was I looking for it, grey cards, manual balance, fiddling with +/- Gs and Ms and Vs, you name it).

@derek Agree that I'm not blown away by F3 -- erganomics suck, LCD is crap, EVF in a terrible position so basically, not a run and gun camera in any way. I dunno... for all the money you'd need and firmware updates, I'd buy a scarlet. But before I bought that, I'd buy glass to use with the gh2. FS100 I'm actually not as fast to dismiss, but I work in broadcast so I need something that can shoot 422 (in its case with an external recorder) for compliance. Haven't shot with it yet, but know those who have with ninjas and other external recorders and they are happy.
  • >Amazon is 15%

How are they live with such affilate percents :-) ?
  • @Manu4Vendetta
    Looks good!
    Of course it would be way better if you had the original frame and saved to a lossless data compression such as png.
  • @JDN, Nostalgic, Smooth, -2's, other?
    Thank you for sharing your GH2 observations, @JDN.
  • I dont understand the poor result of the test of PB with the GH2 case. Here I leave a capture of frame of my GH2 with a cheap FD 50mm f1.8 (U$43), night shot without film lighting, handheld and in amateur hands with the Driftwood's Terraquake Patch. I think the skin tone of this capture is rich and have a interesting look.

The video for appreciation (all is handheld and have some unstables movements):

PD: Excuse me if isnt the place indicate for my comment and for my poor english.
    shot-1.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 70K
  • One minute at Photoshop.
    bloom-shot.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 97K
  • @mozes

This is completely wrong view.
    First they get money from advertisments clicks (also from affilated companies mostly).
    Most of income goes from Amazon, Adorama, and other motherfuckers (this ones provide you about 5% from transaction)
    Publishing such stuff you get big amount of new guys.
    Expirienced ones are required to make noise and play roles of freely working advertisment agents.
    So, you have many new guys and, strangely, small percent clicks on links, all of the links have affilate parts.
    If this guy buy something (especially good before Christmas! this is the cause of timing) you get your percent.
    Recently many big forums you all know started to replace ALL of the links in ALL posts to the affilated stuff (via viglink or similar services).
  • Vitaliy, affiliate links clicks only register every unique ip just ones.
    So even when they visit a site 1000 times, or click it a 100 times.
    It just pay one time, and its not more than properly one half cent.
  • Nice work @Vladnik, I think I should hire you to do my CC.
  • @No_Surrender
    and not to mention, that its tiny size leads to significant additional cost savings in areas such as gear bags, batteries, and tripods. For example, the last IDX battery system I owned was $1200 for a charger and ONE battery. Media cards too, my EX3 used these expensive SxS cards.
  • The Gh2 costs practically ziltch...when compared to...UHM....everything ELSE.... and given the price difference the fact is...GH2 is and always will be champ in my book.
  • 'all these teaser still shot and camera guessing game is creating a lot of traffic for sure.'

so?
  • >all these teaser still shot and camera guessing game is creating a lot of traffic for sure.

Yep. Same old tricks.
    More traffic, more affilate links clicks, more money.
    This is how it works.
  • all these teaser still shot and camera guessing game is creating a lot of traffic for sure.
  • @reckless

Ah so the results aren't in the order as posted on pb's blog; it's meant to be matched? So i assume those are just the cams used which he went over 3 times prior. we could saved a lot of confusion by using a more elementary layout in the vein of, 'draw a line matching the amount of objects with their numbers."

I still don't mind the results and I don't think that skin tones are a particularly strong point of the GH2. I don't care for the impact it will have on none GH users as most don't really begin to grasp how useful these bitrate patches are, not just to image quality but in terms of personal knowledge and community development. I would also go on to say that it is not a camera for 'everyone,' to be using, as it's very involving.

Very sorry about the erroneous post, it was genuinely, a retarded arrival to this thread.
  • part 2
    c300 vs gh2
    :)
    4a-670x376.jpg
    670 x 376 - 25K
    9-670x376.jpg
    670 x 376 - 47K
  • @tmcat your statement is incorrect, in fact Bloom himself has posted the results in this very thread, please read and get your facts straight before posting.
  • Most people in the comments had the C300 down as #4 and gh2 as #9 before the results... this is blind proof of how the cam performs, considering that the c300 is #3 and GH2 #4.

[Edit] Even PB himself got it wrong in the comments :p

@mimirsan
    And blind proof of how little it matters, as you were ranting.
  • @adventsam
    its color corrected high compressed jpeg...
    :)
    and i boost sharpness to emphasize noise...
  • There is something wrong with the GH2 image if its the one on the right, hair on her left is a total mess, the noise etc, is this for real?
  • for me ,the F3 is nothing special,no 2k,no 4k, and FS100 also dont like it,for the price,and picture quality is not bettar than GH2