Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 driftwood hack in shootout with Canon C300
  • 471 Replies sorted by
  • Don't understand why people are still using 7D
    GH2 is way nicer in this test
    The 5N and D700 looks awful....

Can't wait for part 2 ;-)
  • Good l'ill test, GH2 does do rather well. :-) Thanks @PhilipBloom for including the hack in the test. We came out well considering you used the LOW setting!!!!
  • @PhilipBloom and others:

The amount of detail in GH2 picture is mindblowing! Its nuts! I´m buying another GH2 right now.. Its not about pixel peeping but this is brilliant! And thank you Philip for this real word tests.. keep on doing that :-))
  • The AF101's look is very disappointing. I remember really looking forward to it whilst in my Letus+HPX171 phase, refusing to shoot DSLR...until I discovered the GH2.
  • Yes sorry! I was very tired, finished it at 6am this morning. Fixed version now uploading. GH2 did brilliantly in this resolution test.

Kind of hypocritical to say this as this whole shootout is about it, remember pixel peeping will make you go blind and give you hairy palms! After shooting and editing this my palms are hairier than my back currently! Time to find a razor! :)
  • The AF101 looks terrible. I really don't like the image of that thing. Also: he messed up the titles with the 7D, as they say AF101 after he introduced the 7D. Minor detail.
  • image quality-wise,
    i pick..err..... the GH2 :p
    AF101 owners should sell theirs and buy...
    how many GH2's? around 7?
  • There is just something I don't like about the fine detail of the C300 and FS100. Looks very digital.

edit: just watched the video and the FS100 looked fine. Surprised that I actually liked the look of it so much. The C300 has good resolution for sure... but it still has that "digital detail" look that my XHA1 and XF100 had.
  • ;
    sonyf3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    sonyf3crop.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    canons300.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    sonyfs100.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    gh2 hack.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    canons3crop.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    sonysf100crop.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    gh2hackcrop.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • I'd say the GH2 Hack did an amazing job in the resolution test here, nice to see Phil confirm it.
  • looks yummy. but 8-bit :(
  • he's got the cannon c300 review up. The shootout is not yet done.

http://philipbloom.net/2011/12/24/c300review/
  • @JDN Great tip on the warm card 1 white balancing. Shooting through a 1/8 or 1/4 CTB gel works too, just white balance w/ a white sheet of paper.
  • The DP on the shoot is a solid guy. His reel is top notch for beauty.

http://www.dekedonelian.com/
  • @FGCU, thanks for the samples, looks great! All the best with your shoot, please keep us apprised.
  • @rockraodpix

Perfect example of why you need light, man. Get those levels up, and then the magic happens.
  • @rockroadpix
    Damn that looks good.
  • @FGCU, thank you for your feedback. I am in a PC environment, currently using PPro, so DNxHD is not part of my DNA. @FGCU, do you 'clean' your footage in post to make the conversion from 420 to 444 any more than what 5DtoRGB has to offer in the conversion process? Thank you.
  • at last. skin that look like skin.

@mrbill - you mean you also ask the question?
    or do you state that DNxHD 175 direct import to avid is on par with 5DtoRGB?
  • Skin tones? I know the GH2 gets nice skin tones!

• @rozroz - +1 for DNxHD 175 from another in avid land.
  • @JDN, thank you clarification and caveat. :D I will be aware that warm cards are primarily considered for indoor use. I am operating on PC now, so no DNxHD use at the moment. There appears to be merit to converting source 8-bit 420 files to 10-bit 422 files, if applying various post processing, as @PerryWilson:
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/18608#Comment_18608
    Post processing views may vary, I am exploring now, and seeking to change the gamma curve on record to be a little flatter, as we have discussed.