Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 driftwood hack in shootout with Canon C300
  • 471 Replies sorted by
  • I'd guess #2 is gh2, but really - it's incredibly difficult to tell straight up because we do not know how these are exposed in camera. (and I for one do not know how all these cameras look in respective modes) Basically, you can tell that the first image is done with a large sensor because of the short DOF / slight vignetting. I'd guess that one is the 5d, but nothing is certain.
    #2 looks a bit like how I would expose the scene with the gh2, hence I think it is that one. Also, the halo's from the bokeh looks familiar.

From such shots the important thing is how they grade and some looks a lot easier to work with than others.
  • I think you might be right. @reckless about 2=gh2
  • Over all I think they are all pretty good. Least favorite being 10, good skin tones but so dark.
  • Well speculating will probably only make me look like an idiot, but the only thing that makes me think 2 over 5 for the gh-2 is that the hair on 5 seems has a little too much contrast.
  • For the GH2, possibly #4.
    Short of this image, I'm really not impressed with any of them.
  • i don´t think he move those lights they look like christmas decoration of the location
  • #5 has the least amount of banding and macroblocking/pixelation...(looking at the background of all pics in the same place; between the right corner and the model's hair)
  • bigger sensor bigger spots but he could have move the lights.
  • i believe #1 is the sony, because of the bokeh, it has the biggest lights in the back, that should be related to the size of the sensor right?, so bigger light spots = smaller sensor
    and backwards, smaller light spots = bigger sensor
  • 7 has got to be F-3 S-log. the more i look at 5 the more it looks like a contender for GH-2.
  • bokeh and dof of the first pic make me think 5d. I'm liking #7 the best of all though.
  • and #1, I'm guessing, is 5d.
  • Could be, I for some reason associate a green tint with canon footage, but since they weren't shot in the technicolor cinestyle they would probably look the closest to actual color straight out of the camera.
  • really? i´m gueesing #3 is the canon 5d,
    and #9 is the canon7d

because of the colors
  • So for the skin tones: #2=GH-2, #3=af-100? 2 just a little yellowish tint from nostalgic, 3 AF-100 always a little contrasty. Trying to use those background lights for DOF but he could have been tricky and moved them. I usually shoot in smooth so not 100% sure.
  • there are new pics, i´m going for number 5 being the gh2

and the one i like the most is number 7
  • but why did he put out those 2 jpgs, knowing the GH2 one was low res?
  • The 70Mbp/s Philip reports on his picture caption was yielded from the L setting shot. He does have 150Mbp/s material on his SD card which will follow when the report is written up ;-)
  • My little GH2 is a great camera, and just keeps on getting better, thanks in no small part by all of you folks round here! So a big thank you to VK, ND and all of those helping!

I hope to avoid too much discussion comparing this fantastic filmmaking tool that I am happy that I own, with a bunch of other equipment that would find it difficult to afford!
    I know that for me, seeing a bunch of higher spec. equipment and what it can produce.. is not likely to help my situation, so I think I will try to enjoy my camera without looking too hard at the details :)

I did say "I will try"
    Looks like the driftwood hacked GH2 beats the £4000 AF101
  • P. Bloom just tweeted this 1h ago ;)

"One of the most interesting things to come out of yesterday's #christmasshootout was how much better the Driftwood hack GH2 looks than AF101"

Can't wait to get my hands on GH2!
  • the pictures on this thread page must be wrong.
    the GH2 looks really soft as 720.
  • Which film mode is he using? If it's sth like cinema, the GH2 is destined to fall flat and look like a AF100-disgusting highlight roll-off and crushed shadows. Now if he's using -2 -2-2-2 smooth or white balanced nostalgic or even standard, + quantum V5 at 24H, then we're in business.