Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic AG-UX90 and AG-UX180

LAS VEGAS, NV (April 18, 2016) – Panasonic today announced a new UX series of professional 4K camcorders, successor to the company’s AVCCAM series of professional AVCHD camcorders. Two models are currently under development and scheduled for release in the fall of 2016: the UX Premium Model AG-UX180, with a 1-inch (effective size) MOS sensor, optical 20x zoom and UHD 60p recording capability; and the UX Standard Model AG-UX90, featuring a 1-inch (effective size) MOS sensor, optical 15x zoom and UHD 30p recording. “With an increasing demand for 4K video content, Panasonic is introducing the UX series to make 4K acquisition even more accessible to video professionals,” said Steven Cooperman, Senior Product Manager, Panasonic System Communication Company of North America. “UX camcorders will provide high-mobility shooting and workflow equivalent to our existing professional integrated-lens handhelds.” The UX series will support recording up to 4K (4096x2160, 24p only) and UHD (3840x2160). (The AVCCAM series allowed recording up to FHD/1920x1080.) UX camcorders will use the SD Memory Card1 as recording media. The UX Premium Model AG-UX180 supports, in addition to 4K and UHD, dual codec recording (UHD2/FHD), IR recording in low light, and 3G SDI/HDMI2.0 output. The UX camcorders’ 1-inch (effective size) MOS sensor ensures sensitivity equivalent to that of conventional handheld cameras. Variable frame rate (VFR) recording functionality (2-60 fps) is planned in FHD mode. The suggested list price (SLP) of the AG-UX180 is expected to be under $4,000.00, and the SLP of the AG-UX90 under $3,000.00. The availability of these new UX models later this year will bring the company’s line-up of professional 4K cameras to six, including the flagship VariCam 35 and VariCam LT cinema cameras for HDR production in 4K resolution, the AG-DVX200 4K, 4/3” large-sensor camcorder and AK-UC3000 4K camera system.

• 33 Replies sorted by
  • For a registration of a theatre play I am thinking of renting 2 x u180 and 1 ux90 as that is what the rental company in my city has to offer.

Does anybody have any experience with the two camera's together, does the footage mix well? Or would it be tricky?

• New firmware v1.11

Improvements

1. On rare occasions, the operation of REC button on the unit or a wired remote control may no longer have any effect. This problem is fixed.
    2. If the card is ejected from the main slot during the simultaneous recording, the recording in the sub-slot stops 10 hours after the start of recording. The indication shows the same as during recording, and the operations of REC button are refused. This problem is fixed.
    3. LCD may not show anything when the camera is booted up. This problem is fixed.
    4. A very few SD cards may have a write error. This problem is fixed.
    5. If the network address is changed when WIRELESS SETUP is set to [DIRECT] and DHCP is set to [SERVER], it sometimes made the camera impossible to connect to the iPad. This problem is fixed.

Only on "AG-UX180PJ"

• The quality of image in PM mode is changed to place importance on the resolution.

https://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/content/download/EN/ep2main/soft/upgux180_e.htm

• Review

I think the AG-UX180 is a great camera for the price and I’m very happy I got it.

This is not a low light camera. Fitting 8 megapixels on a 1-inch sensor comes with a sensitivity cost. The only way with current technology to get any better is to increase the sensor size. That requires a larger and more expensive lens, so a 1-inch sensor seems like a good compromise to me. There are a few 1/3-inch UHD cameras on the market and their low light performance is quite poor. The UX180, with its 1-inch sensor is adequate for the work I do and produces a quite clean picture, even with up to 12dB of gain when properly exposed.

I’m pleased that Panasonic were able to get a 20 x lens on a 1-inch sensor.

Having a 1-inch sensor also feels good in terms of being a similar size to the 3/4-inch cameras, which were the gold standard in my early days.

I feel the picture quality is perfectly adequate for content that will end up on the Internet and even for low budget TV.

http://www.mike-warren.net/panasonic-ag-ux180-review/

• UX180 at 4K

Sony AX100 at 4K

4Kcamera-4k_feature_check_4k_testchart_39_ux.jpg
    511 x 281 - 54K
    4Kcamera-4k_feature_check_4k_testchart_9_ax100.jpg
    522 x 286 - 66K
  • Edu Videos

• Random (late afternoon) scenes I took at the Beach when I had it.

• This video been on my channel for a while but I never felt like sharing it yet since I was sort of fooling around with the settings. Just having some fun. I wish I was more serious in my shooting on that night. I decided to do it now. Still have more to upload.

Here's another:

• Lada Niva 4x4 2017 - TV commercial shot on Panasonic AG-UX90:

• Something I quickly did many days ago right before I was to return the camera. I finally decided to edit and upload it. Looking back, I wish I did it when their was a little bit more light. I set the camera to auto for the "normal" mode because the green and white mode is locked in auto. It really stinks that you're not able to adjust the gain, shutter and ND. I had a good idea for a video and I couldn't do it because of that.

Still have a martial arts video to edit and upload that I shot in 4K 60p. Have not given myself a chance to do that yet. I'll be doing normal and slow motion sequences.

• I ended up being able to borrow both the UX90 and then the UX180 a while back. Here's some videos I did.

This one is a comparison between my old AC90 and the new UX90. Since the low light abilities of the UX90 is better in HD, I used the HD mode. It also crops a bit when shooting in 4K. Basically the UX180 will give you better low light capabilities and a wider field of view when shooting in 4K.

Faneuil Hall Boston Tree lighting in 4K 30p. Shot with the UX90 Edited in Premiere Pro CC

Lion Dance competition: Day 1. UX90 4K 30p Edited in Premiere Pro CC

Lion Dance competition Day 2. UX90 1080p30. Edited in Premiere Pro CC

I would have used 4K if the low light abilities were better. Plus, I did not have the UX180 at that time.

Slow motion from the UX180 120 frame per second mode. Used it on 24p. It does not record audio using that mode, it's only availible for 1080p24 and 1080p30 and it's a bit on the soft side.

Lunar New Year parade in New York. UX180 4K 60p

Lion Dance event in Chinatown New York on the previous day: UX180 4K 60p

New England Patriots Victory parade 4K 60p

OK, I think I've posted a lot as is. The rest of my UX90 and UX180 videos is in this playlist. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfiUWslpPfwxqRiTeFDUNY-DHI_zJkBHH Plus, I still have 2 more UX180 videos to edit and upload.

• UX180 samples

• Panasonic AG-UX90 outdoor

Panasonic AG-UX90 night

Panasonic AG-UX90 San Antonio

• Here's a hands on video of the UX90.

• First video sample