Personal View site logo
Panasonic AG-UX90 and AG-UX180

LAS VEGAS, NV (April 18, 2016) – Panasonic today announced a new UX series of professional 4K camcorders, successor to the company’s AVCCAM series of professional AVCHD camcorders. Two models are currently under development and scheduled for release in the fall of 2016: the UX Premium Model AG-UX180, with a 1-inch (effective size) MOS sensor, optical 20x zoom and UHD 60p recording capability; and the UX Standard Model AG-UX90, featuring a 1-inch (effective size) MOS sensor, optical 15x zoom and UHD 30p recording. “With an increasing demand for 4K video content, Panasonic is introducing the UX series to make 4K acquisition even more accessible to video professionals,” said Steven Cooperman, Senior Product Manager, Panasonic System Communication Company of North America. “UX camcorders will provide high-mobility shooting and workflow equivalent to our existing professional integrated-lens handhelds.” The UX series will support recording up to 4K (4096x2160, 24p only) and UHD (3840x2160). (The AVCCAM series allowed recording up to FHD/1920x1080.) UX camcorders will use the SD Memory Card1 as recording media. The UX Premium Model AG-UX180 supports, in addition to 4K and UHD, dual codec recording (UHD2/FHD), IR recording in low light, and 3G SDI/HDMI2.0 output. The UX camcorders’ 1-inch (effective size) MOS sensor ensures sensitivity equivalent to that of conventional handheld cameras. Variable frame rate (VFR) recording functionality (2-60 fps) is planned in FHD mode. The suggested list price (SLP) of the AG-UX180 is expected to be under $4,000.00, and the SLP of the AG-UX90 under $3,000.00. The availability of these new UX models later this year will bring the company’s line-up of professional 4K cameras to six, including the flagship VariCam 35 and VariCam LT cinema cameras for HDR production in 4K resolution, the AG-DVX200 4K, 4/3” large-sensor camcorder and AK-UC3000 4K camera system.

• 33 Replies sorted by
  • External display on the handle like JVC cameras...

into the trash bin it goes.

• Anyone else think the most important specification of this camera is missing? Lens specs? For me this is deal breaker

• Agreed, I hate it when a camera only gives the "20x zoom" (or whatever) as the lens specs without any more info!!

But having a 1" sensor is cool.

• PR

Panasonic today announced availability and pricing for the first two models in its new UX series of professional 4K camcorders, the UX Premium Model AG-UX180 and the UX Standard Model AG-UX90. The UX180 and UX90 begin deliveries in December and November, respectively, with suggested list prices of $3,795 and $2,295.

The camcorders offer a host of features for the high image quality and advanced functionality required in video production, including a newly-designed Leica Dicomar 4K compact lens with a wide 24mm angle (4K 24p, 17:9), the industry’s widest for an integrated lens camcorder. Both models incorporate a 1.0-type (effective size) MOS sensor, providing the same level of sensitivity as conventional handheld camcorders. Versatile and easy-to-use MOV (QuickTime), MP4 and AVCHD file formats are supported.

When recording in FHD, variable frame rate (VFR) enables 10-step recording at 2-60fps. The variety of recording modes with selectable image quality, frame rate and bit rate settings respond to a wide range of applications, from education and corporate to sports and web video.

“The UX series delivers exceptional 4K performance at compelling price points, with breakthrough features such as the 24mm angle lens for wide-angle shooting without requiring a wide conversion lens,” said Steven Cooperman, Senior Product Manager, Panasonic System Communications Company of North America. “The camcorders’ extensive focus assist features make 4K shooting easier than ever before.”

UX Series: Expanded O.I.S., Very Intelligent Auto Focus

Features for easy operation and high reliability, such as Optical Image Stabilization (O.I.S.), Intelligent Auto Focus (AF), and relay and simultaneous recording with a dual SD memory card1 slot, support professional camera work.

The O.I.S. correction area has been expanded to approximately 900% when in UHD/FHD mode over the conventional area (vs. AVVCAM models), providing powerful correction even in unstable shooting situations such as low-angle or high-angle shots. In FHD shooting mode, a 5-Axis Hybrid Image Stabilizer combines the effects of both optical and electronic image stabilization to detect and correct hand-shaking in various directions, including rotary.

Intelligent AF makes even difficult 4K focusing automatic and affords high speed, superior tracking performance and stability. AF operation can be customized with adjustments to speed, sensitivity and area width. When the Focus Assist button is pressed, Expand or Peaking is displayed to assist the user’s comprehensive manual focusing operation. Additionally, Auto Focus is activated for a subject that is touched on the camcorder’s LCD panel.

The camcorder’s two SD card slots enable virtually unlimited (to 96GB) relay recording by simply changing SD cards, and also allow simultaneous recording. Additional recording functions include pre-rec, interval rec, freeze frame and time stamp. Six files preset with picture quality settings are provided as Scene Files, and any of 44 functions can be allocated to 13 user buttons.

The lens system simultaneously and independently drives four lens groups; the lens size and drive range for each of the four groups can be efficiently suppressed to optimize image quality and zoom power. The camcorders feature three manual rings for zoom, focus and iris control, offering a familiar, professional feel; they are equipped with a digital zoom by any of three fixed values — 2x, 5x or 10x.

Bolstering professional-level capture, four position (OFF, ¼, 1/16/ 1/64) ND filters are built in. The camcorders also feature Gain Selector, Auto White Balance Selector and an Auto Tracking White Balance function. Both UX models are equipped with a terminal for remote operation of iris, focus, zoom and REC start/stop. An AG ROP app for iPad, available free of charge from the Apple App Store, enables wireless remote control with installation of a wireless module (optional AJ-WM50/ AJ-WM30).

A 3.5-type LCD monitor built into the camcorders’ handle section can be pulled out and turned 270 degrees vertically for use in high-angle, low-angle or selfie shots.

The Highly Professional AG-UX180: 20x Zoom, Super Slo-Mo, IR Shooting

Premium assets of the UX180 include a high-powered 20x optical zoom, 4K/24p, UHD/60p and FHD/60p multi-format recording, FHD super-slow motion 120fps recording, infrared shooting in darkness (0 lux) and 3G-SDI/HDMI output. The 20x optical zoom covers the range from 24 mm at the wide-angle end to 480 mm at the telescopic end (35mm film equivalent at 4K24p)–the lens can zoom from wide-angle to telescopic in approximately 2.0 seconds.

In HD shooting modes, an i.Zoom function increases the zooming capability to a maximum of approximately 30x, while maintaining high resolution. iZoom seamlessly switches on when the 20x optical zooming limit is reached. For worldwide use, the UX180 is 59.94Hz/50Hz switchable.

The UX180 supports dual codec recording (UHD2/FHD or FHD 100 Mbps+/FHD 8 Mbps); sub-recording files can be used for preview, off-line editing and online transmission. FHD (8 Mbps) sub files can be transmitted via mobile networks so editing work can be performed before the delivery of the main recording files, facilitating workflow efficiency.

The camcorder’s 16-axis color correction provides an independent effect to each of 16 phases of video images, enabling color matching of multiple cameras under the same lighting conditions as well as creative image rendering. Additional image adjustment functions include detail, skin detail, chroma level, chroma phase, master pedestal, gamma and knee setting. The camcorder is equipped with eight selectable gamma modes, including two Cine-Like Gammas, drawing on technologies developed for the VariCam.

The high-resolution OLED EVF features a 1.77 million dot display. LCD/EVF displays include waveform and vectorscope, ZEBRA, Y level marker and level gauge. Beyond 3G-SDI/HDMI output, the UX180 offers a video/audio out for monitoring, two channel XLR audio, USB 3.0 Host/Device and TC Preset In/Out to sync multi-camera shooting.

The Highly Affordable AG-UX90: 15X Optical Zoom, UHD/30P Recording

The standard UX90 is a high cost/performance model with a 15x optical zoom, an industry-best 24.5mm wide angle lens (FHD), and UHD/30p and FHD 60p recording. In HD shooting modes, the i.Zoom function increases the zooming capability to a maximum of approximately 25x.

Professional interfaces include HDMI output, two-channel XLR audio, USB 3.0 Host/Device, and video/audio out for monitoring. The UX90 has a 0.24-type EVF.

http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/ux/index.html

• It's funny that the company that put 4/3 video on the map is using 1" sensors. Of course, easier deep focus....
    Makes me want a JVC somehow.

• More from IBC

• First video sample

• Here's a hands on video of the UX90.

• Panasonic AG-UX90 outdoor

Panasonic AG-UX90 night

Panasonic AG-UX90 San Antonio

• UX180 samples

• I ended up being able to borrow both the UX90 and then the UX180 a while back. Here's some videos I did.

This one is a comparison between my old AC90 and the new UX90. Since the low light abilities of the UX90 is better in HD, I used the HD mode. It also crops a bit when shooting in 4K. Basically the UX180 will give you better low light capabilities and a wider field of view when shooting in 4K.

Faneuil Hall Boston Tree lighting in 4K 30p. Shot with the UX90 Edited in Premiere Pro CC

Lion Dance competition: Day 1. UX90 4K 30p Edited in Premiere Pro CC

Lion Dance competition Day 2. UX90 1080p30. Edited in Premiere Pro CC

I would have used 4K if the low light abilities were better. Plus, I did not have the UX180 at that time.

Slow motion from the UX180 120 frame per second mode. Used it on 24p. It does not record audio using that mode, it's only availible for 1080p24 and 1080p30 and it's a bit on the soft side.

Lunar New Year parade in New York. UX180 4K 60p

Lion Dance event in Chinatown New York on the previous day: UX180 4K 60p

New England Patriots Victory parade 4K 60p

OK, I think I've posted a lot as is. The rest of my UX90 and UX180 videos is in this playlist. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfiUWslpPfwxqRiTeFDUNY-DHI_zJkBHH Plus, I still have 2 more UX180 videos to edit and upload.

• Something I quickly did many days ago right before I was to return the camera. I finally decided to edit and upload it. Looking back, I wish I did it when their was a little bit more light. I set the camera to auto for the "normal" mode because the green and white mode is locked in auto. It really stinks that you're not able to adjust the gain, shutter and ND. I had a good idea for a video and I couldn't do it because of that.

Still have a martial arts video to edit and upload that I shot in 4K 60p. Have not given myself a chance to do that yet. I'll be doing normal and slow motion sequences.

• Lada Niva 4x4 2017 - TV commercial shot on Panasonic AG-UX90:

• This video been on my channel for a while but I never felt like sharing it yet since I was sort of fooling around with the settings. Just having some fun. I wish I was more serious in my shooting on that night. I decided to do it now. Still have more to upload.

Here's another: