Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • @markr041 Man, you are just splitting hairs by now. Please don't imply that I don't understand the difference between all-I and IPB.

• @Tron 10bit takes up only marginally more space than 8bit while 60p effectively doubles the data to encode up from 30p.

• @endotoxic OK, understood... carry on

• @tron PANASONIC allways finds a way for nosense, for no logic. That is why my break down is like that. With 150Mbps version would be so much hard to imagine GOP rates and stuff.

• @endotoxic That breakdown makes no sense. The 400 Mbps codec would be more appropriate for the 10 bit encode. 150 Mbps is already plenty for 60p at 8 bit. I hope this does not mean Panasonic will hold off on delivering 4K 10 bit until later in the year.

• @EspenB I am sorry you still cannot grasp the importance of the codec for assessing the bitrate. I did not imply that Panasonic was going to use MJpeg, only that unless we know the codec we cannot interpret whether "400 Mps", which sounds impressive, is adequate. Noting that Canon uses MJpeg and very high bitrates in some cameras does not imply that Panasonic will use it, get it? On the other web site you dump info from "43rumors" you will note that now everyone is speculating on what the codec will be that uses 400 Mbps.

@liork The GH4 uses multiple codecs - long-GOP and intra. They have different bitrates, so you see knowing one bitrate tells us little.

What's next? an info leak on the color of the included neck strap?

• Predictions by SOC performance as seen on O-MD MKII base on my imagination.

13.5 STOPS DYNAMIC RANGE REAL. V-LOG ON

First version as stock will be sold on 150Mbps and 10bit but no HDR rec709 only. Second version fully riged GH5 with PAID upgrade will be 400Mbps and 10 bit with HDR rec2020.

MOV, MP4, on H264 IPB for maximun performance and quality ALL INTRA only on 24p and 30p Variable from 6 to 40 for GOP flavors. All in slow motion. No slow motion with ALL Intra.

My specs on camera fully equiped.

6k 30fps 300Mbps 8bit ALL-I / 4k 60fps 400Mbps 8bit GOP / 4k 30fps 300Mbps 10bit ALL-I / 4k 24fps 340Mbps 10bit ALL-I (golden spot for me) / 2k 60fps 400Mbps 10bit GOP / 2k 120fps 220Mbps 8bit GOP / 2k 24fps 340Mbps 10 bit ALL-I / 1k 180fps 220Mbps 8bits GOP / 1k 60fps 300Mbps 10bit GOP / 1k 30fps 220Mbps 10bit ALL-I / 1k 24fps 220Mbps 10bit ALL-I /

Since ive own all GH line ups and have my personal best image quality as GH2 MoonT7. Panasonic has long history of fucking you up and giving you some. With one hand he gives, with the other takes.

All long gop will be for slow motion, since its the way they do, and fuck it would be a INSANITY the amount of data on a ALL-I 400Mps 180fps. Consumer would die first before buying more and more extra HDD.

It will be a miracle machine for consumer, and Panasonic knows it. Since all will be HDR in future you are the ones paying for making that content available for the mases. It will be your HDR showdown the first ones that will make on those fancy HDR monitors you buy to see your fancy HDR footage that just seems to need 10 bit to work all way up to 16bit maybe on future.

So buy the equipment soldiers of the future, take the risks, so the manufactures can sale the next big thing HDR. Fuck we like it, and we know it.

Ahh one last thing. LCD screen will be rec 2020 compatible, for you to look at gorgeous HDR footage and see the bling, so you can convince yourself to buy a HDR monitor.

@markr041 included neck strap will be all black with white letters GH5 and a in the middle pink straight line for the sake of @Vitaliy_Kiselev

• It's probably all H.264, IPB for 150Mbps - hopefully not 100Mbbps for 24p/25p/30p and 150Mbps just for 60p - and then afterwards they will release a 400Mbps H.264 All-I.

I wonder why only in late 2017. Haven't they managed to make it work now or is there a reason for that - which shouldn't be to charge extra for it?

• New details: GH5 list for USD 1999. Battery grip is updated (not the same as GH3/4). Grip lists for USD 350 and XLR unit for USD 400. (43rumors)

• @vesku We can be sure that Panasonic will not offer just a "all-I" codec which at this point is all we need to know. ;-)

• @markr041 - You did seem to suggest that Panasonic would suddenly take a "5D4" approach in the GH5. Which will only happen when hell freezes over. What Panasonic did in the past before codec technology matured to todays standards are not a good example.

• What is "same in practice" between H.264 and MJpeg?

• Panasonic current 4k 60P camcorders use 150Mbs h.264 codec.

400Mbs codec may be all-i 4k like GH4 200Mbs all-i. In practice it is the same as MJPG.

• Panasonic had a good codec in latest models, why do you think it will be different this time?

• "Panasonic does not use motion JPEG so that is really no question." No kidding (actually Panasonic did use MJpeg in its early cameras for video)? The issue is what compression the GH5 does use. Do you know (and understand the question and its relevance), or do you just copy and paste from web sites?

• Panasonic does not use motion JPEG so that is really no question.

• ""Its now confirmed, the GH5 will offer maximum bit rate of 400Mbps in 4K video! The 400Mbps will come as a firmware update on the second half of 2017. Right now, the the camera will be launched with 150Mbps.""

I don't know where this quote is from, but giving the bitrate without the codec is meaningless. Some Canon cameras do over 500 Mbps. Sounds good, right? But it is MJpeg compression. 150 Mbps, for H265, would be quite good.

• "Its now confirmed, the GH5 will offer maximum bit rate of 400Mbps in 4K video! The 400Mbps will come as a firmware update on the second half of 2017. Right now, the the camera will be launched with 150Mbps."

• Looking forward to it

• Hoping for 2.5K 120 fps mode. Center crop would be an acceptable trade-off. @Vesku How many boxes do they have to tick on your list to avoid a hostage crisis?

• Perhaps Panasonic will really surprise us with the actual specs. ;-)

• @EspenB

It can be that Panasonic made such kit so it lacks this specs.

• What about dynamic range ,and any log or hdr for video mode ,any info on that compared to gh4?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

So why can't they actually leak the important specs from the press kit. ;-)

Seriously, the weight is not one of my key interest points.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Thanks for editing my list for better viewing.

I prefer the non-violent way.