Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • Waveform is excellent. But for V-log L it would be really useful to have a built-in REC709 LUT so one can see better what the resulting video might look like. Is that an ok request for a "pro" forum?

• It's better not to spread bullshit in a pro forum.

• @liork

Take it easy. It's better for everyone that way.

• What the hell are you talking about? How do you judge exposure by looking at apertue or iso value? "Oh I see F5.6 so the exposure is OK!" Its time for you to take a basic video course.

• EVF Waveform / Vectorscope sounds very nice but the big question is will the GH5 show aperture, shutter speed and iso in video modes. It would help judging exposure even more than scopes.

• Keep on dreaming.

• GH5 sensor compared to GH4 from photos:

gh4-gh5s.jpg
    665 x 503 - 102K
  • EVF Waveform / Vectorscope sounds fine for me. We'll see if it goes externally or not. I've got a Ninja Assassin, and it will be very nice to see how close the internal codec can get to the pro-res externally.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev And you didn't believe Panasonic would put Waveform ;-)

• I think you are day dreaming, its probably very similar sensor to the one in E M1 II.

• I also think it's a MAR sensor, great news!

GH5-vs-GH4.jpg
    1132 x 525 - 150K
  • Sensor dimensions on the GH5 is definitely bigger than the GH4. Looks like MAR sensor is back!

• @nobbystylus

Waveform/vectoscope can be only for monitor and EVF, not working on HDMI.

• "Preview" lol they did not even used it yet but "it outshines 5d4"

• Great news on the waveform monitor and lack of sensor crop at 4k. This thing is going to be a beast. I'll be getting the V-Log update on day one. Also excited to see Bit Rate boosts in the pipeline. They're probably waiting on new SD card specs before releasing 400mbit etc. Now all we need to hear are Dynamic Range and ISO tests against the GH4.

• I tried to measure the aspect ratio of the sensor from the "to small" Nokishita photo, but really is not so precise.

If i give it a positive go I seem to get like 1:1,4 so I will not rule it out yet.

• Full feature set will only be available after two planned firmware updates in 2017

I hope they listen customer feedback about possible GH5 issues before updates. They corrected G85 issues very quickly after user feedback.

• I don't quite understand why they didn't include Vlog... Now that it records 10bit internal it only makes sense to do that. For the price I would expect to get the whole package.

• Nokishita now has a frontal image of GH5 without lens.

GH5_f.jpg
    500 x 500 - 32K
  • Leaked preview: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://cameras.reviewed.com/content/panasonic-lumix-gh5-first-impressions-review

• 4K without a sensor crop
    • Waveform monitor
    • Vectorscope
    • Full size HDMI
    • VLOG will still cost extra to activate
    • Full feature set will only be available after two planned firmware updates in 2017
    panasonic-lumix-gh5-hdmi-usb-c.jpg
    972 x 486 - 269K
  • lol There is no camera yet but FM update is scheduled. BRAVO!

• @markr041

What's next? an info leak on the color of the included neck strap?

You never though about running rumors site? As you propose so smart ideas :-)

• I wonder what is the bitrate of GH5 18 Mpixel video? It has more than double the 4k pixels.

• @zetty The entropy don't necessarily increase by 2x because of 2x framerate. The motion from frame to frame will likely be less in 60 FPS than 30 FPS.