Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic, series 3
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • @mrsquirrell looks fantastic. Reminds me of that scene in Band of Brothers where they are getting shelled and the trees are exploding. Love the mist! Great job!
  • @driftwood or someone,

How are 1080/25i and 1080/30i frame limits determined? Is the camera deriving them from some other frame limits?
  • @mrsquirrell

Bro, that was nothing short of outstanding! Well done, and it's obvious you are well in control of the GH2.
  • @mrsquirrell - this one looks way better, and as others have said: wonderful composition.
  • @mrsquirrell

The shot at 0:36 is really stunning. In fact the entire video is quite beautiful.
  • @mrsquirrell

Great composition in all shots. Thanks for sharing. All that's missing is the St-Bernard with the flask of whiskey, though who knows what's happening behind the camera...
  • @ mrsquirrell

Nice video. I like it!
    As for the snow, yours beat the crap out of the blue one on my screen now :)
  • Hi this is the little film i shot using Quantum beta5 before screwing up the settings :) please let me know what you think, I would love to get any advice you all have.

thanks

• "Quantum 1080i and 720p requires further in-depth analysis. I need images, videos, settings. Proof of where it goes wrong. Is it constant, is it happening occasionally, etc... Thankyou."
    @Driftwood
    Quantum V5 works absolutely reliable on my camera in 24H and 24L with SanDisk Extr. 30MB/s cards (8GB + 16GB).
    50i also works fine (and looks great!) with scenes that do not stress the codec very much (scenes without high frequency detail that is).
    Scenes containing large areas with highly detailed objects (foliage or so - as well as the Pappasart codec torture chart) will drop the iFrame size to around 360K (in Streamparser) - footage looks highly compressed then and mosquito noise will show up. This happens all the time on my camera at 50i.
    Settings used: smooth -2|-2|-1|-2. ISO200 or ISO400. All Auto-Settings disabled. Lens used for testing: Nokton f0.95 at f2.8-f5.6.
    Hope that helps!
    I would love to use "Quantum" for 24H (+L) & 1080i50 as the footage really looks great, so I keep my fingers crossed that you can find out how to make 50i work.
    Many thanks for your persistent and great works on these Intra-Patches!
  • @driftwood
    I tested 1080 60i on Quantum v5, but I also noticed the mosquito noise on an earlier version. I believe the problem results from the fact that you turned off B-frames for 60i. When I was developing Sanity, I experimented with turning off B-frames, and I got a similar picture.
  • @driftwood
    What do I need to change to make a 'TerraQuake' version of Quantum that runs safe on Transcend 32GB Class 10 cards? Limits? AQ?
  • @Ralph_B which version of Quantum did 1080i60 look mozzy on? v5 same as what Towi reported?
  • @chauncy @Raph_B Thanks for the feedback. Analysing Quantum v6 now.
  • @driftwood

I don't have any issues with 1080i. That seems to be stable. Don't know about noise. As I hardly use 1080i.

I only test with sandisk 30mb/sec

With 720p/60 it always gets the writing error in about 6-10 seconds. I did this at iso800, shutter 1/60, auto wb. As I shared before, I test with the 14-140 lens and I use it. Meaning I will zoom in and out with the af on. Normally I shoot leaves outside my window and then refocus and zoom on sheet music in my room. If it can survive 5 or 6 passes of that, then I consider it stable for the time being.

What I've done at the moment, just so I have a 720 option, is roll back the 720p/1080i setting to an earlier patch, Seaquake I think although I could be wrong, and pull some of the frame limits or buffer down a little as I think you suggested a few weeks ago.

I haven't analyzed the clips, so they many not be super good although they seem okay.

If it helps here are the settings(q5 for 24p, changed Seaquake settings for the rest) that work through my test:

Video Bitrate 24H=160000000
    Video Bitrate 24L=100000000
    Video Bitrate FSH/SH=88000000
    Video Bitrate FH/H=48000000
    Auto Quantizer for 1080 modes=4 - All to details
    Auto Quantizer for 720 modes=4 - All to details
    720p50 GOP Size=1
    720p60 GOP Size=3
    1080i50 and 1080p24 GOP Size=1
    1080i60 GOP Size=3
    Encoder setting 4 720p=8
    Encoder setting 1 1080i/p=2
    Encoder setting 4 1080i=16
    Video buffer=0x3000000
    Video buffer 24p=0x3600000
    1080p24 FB2=1184023
    60fps FB2=493609
    50fps FB2=568331
    1080p24 Frame Limit=6108888
    60fps Frame Limit=1088880
    50fps Frame Limit=1580888
  • @driftwood
    The mosquito noise I was refering to occurs only on Quantum 1080 60i.
  • Quantum 1080i and 720p requires further in-depth analysis. I need images, videos, settings. Proof of where it goes wrong. Is it constant, is it happening occasionally, etc... Thankyou.
    For the record here's a Quantum 720p60 video (as shown previously elsewhere) and my analysis of the picture does not show mosquito noise. I suggest it happens in varying conditions. NOT all the time.
  • @kholi there are funny blue snowballs all over your footage . . . oh wait . . .
  • "I tested Quantum 5 with 60i and 60P and had problems with both. 60P failed after 5 seconds or so on a 16GB Sandisk 30M card. 1080 60i suffers from mosquito noise. 24H and 24L both ran fine."
    @Ralph_B
    @Driftwood
    Same issue here with 50i on the very same SD cards.
    Ralph's "Sanity V3" looks great! Indiscernible from Quantum V5 at 24H. GOP12, though.
    50i didn't work initially with Sanity V3 on my camera. I had to lower the FSH Bitrate to 36M. With this setting Sanity V3 outperforms Quantm V5 at FSH/50i.
  • @Swiss_Boy yeah thanks for the reply. i tried quantum 2 and 5. just too much. so im gonna stick to aquamotion at 100mb's and it still looks amazing. maybe in the future when i get better cards ill do quantum. thanks again!
  • @mrsquirrell

Dont' feel bad, one night I left it on 2x Zoom and was confused at how things changed. Haha. Thought I had broken the camera or something.
  • Thank you for all your replies. It was shot at 24p/24h. I have just checked settings and I had been messing around the night before and left on ex tele and 1600 hundred, thought it was strange how one day it could look so beautiful and the next not thanks for your help. I will be less of a muppet in future and check settings LOL.
  • @balazer

I don't disagree that it is what it is, I should have done a proper a and B test before I moved from seaQuake but I'll probably do one when I get back to Los Angeles. Just hoping for more because I'm in love with the S16+ETC+Zeiss look. Already done the duty, though, also discovered a lot more about the camera and post that's very helpful for narrative filmmakers. Will post about it on the blog soon.

My S16 Zeiss Superspeed set, starting with the 5.9/T2, could all be used with a 160 percent blow up and slight re-frame, it's just not a smart way to work for an entire feature film and you're right, there's resolution loss which isn't super pretty (but sharper than Canon footage... how strange is that?) ETC just looks better no matter the noise.

I don't mind the noise that I get now. We took it to a 2K Finishing Theater and the footage, with a chroma to luma noise "conversion", looks pretty amazing to my eyes. It's a different look, which is sick to know that I can get from one camera that isn't a RED or EPIC.

Even shot some 2K Epic S16 with the same glass and compared to the GH2 footage in the same setting, damned close... but of course that's 2K. 3K and up will be a different story.

There's a decent amount of PL lens (S16 and S35) mess-around footage on my vimeo:
    -- just pacing the camera in the worst and unscripted situations so that I know what I'm getting into on the feature.
  • @kholi, at this point Driftwood's developments for 1080/24p are fairly minor tweaks. All of his 146-Mbps patch settings (Reaquainted, Aquarius, Seaquake, Quantum) will deliver superb quality. Go ahead and use your Super-16 lenses. I'd love to see what you do with them. The additional noise in ETC mode is an unavoidable consequence of using a smaller format's lens.

If you haven't tried already, see what kind of coverage you get from your lenses with ETC mode off. You might be able to get away with more modest cropping in post processing, instead of using ETC mode. (with a loss of resolution, sure, but hopefully still better than 720p)
  • @mrsquirrell
    What recording mode did you use; 24H, 24L, 1080i60 or 720p60?
  • @balazer

Right, so in essence it will effect the image overall. Just not by changing it, but getting as close to uncompressed from the encoder as possible. That's what I wanted to know/hear. I just hope there's something closer to what the non ETC mode looks like.

The Super 16mm Superspeed Zeiss lenses are dying to be put to use on this feature... and I want to use them so bad.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions