Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic, series 3
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • I'm having doubts VGA mode will ever be useable. It feels like going back too far, having driftwood's AQ settings to work with.
    I just tested your VGA settings, @driftwood. Indeed the best i've seen so far, but still so ugly compared to AVCHD, that for now i think i'll just put my anamorphics to rest, and shoot 16:9 and crop it. :)
  • @driftwood, yep, all H in 24p -- the closeup of the vial is ETC with a 50mm f1.4 FD prime.
  • @bricolo no, we can indeed shoot 2k on mjpeg, the question is the v/h resolution; some people think that this is upscaled, I'm still not sure about that.
  • @johnnym Yes, of course, feel free to experiment with frame sizes on mjpeg mode.
  • @JDN looks good, thanks for the feedback, I take it these were all H setting 24p?
  • @driftwood. Great day shooting yesterday w/Quantum 2. No problem spanning on 95mbps sandisk cards. Some screen grabs attached, including one where I really closed down the aperture to see what would happen -- can't believe the details that were still present in the shadows. Incredible. Thanks man!

Greg1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 346K
    Greg2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 267K
    greg3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 408K
    greg4.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 379K
  • @driftwood

I'll test it today. One question though as i don't have a 1.33x anamorphic, shall I just make the resolution 1920x1080 ?
    Will thoroughly test VGA mode though. Thanks.
  • @driftwood
    Was I wrong in my previous Question?
    @FGCU and many others could be very interested I think.
  • @B3Guy: no, we wouldnt. sadly, it is just like if you squished your recorded image, and then stretched it back again.
  • someone should do one that squished the OPPOSITE for people without anamorphics. this way, when we correct the footage, we get oval bokeh without anamorphic.
  • @bricolo The aspect ratio when shooting with the patch is 2.37:1 but if you shoot without an anamorphic (1.33) the image will be squished...people look short and fat. You would need to stretch in post to get them back to normal. Shooting WITH an anamorphic the proportions are correct right out of the camera.

I don't know the answer to any of the other questions

• Do you mean that with your new patch we can now shoot in a higher résolution than the normal HD and that it is a 2.35 frame?!!! And without anamorphic lenses. (i'm not sure i really understand the anamorphism)
    More than 2k ?
    That's a revolution if it works well, isn't it?
    With this we can hope to make some really interresting things regarding the color grading and the vfx?
    If i'm right i hope you can fix the problems?
  • Cool. Thanks for the great patches.

• The effort was to achieve the highest maximum frame size (2560x1080) without the need to mess on NLE AND keep it recording. We sorta did it, but its a hack... moving camera around until the jpeg gets written/after the first second, then the recording tends to settle down. Its mixed results at the highest mode (why? well, if you keep it stable at first it tends to not like to record :-( shame), but if you move it down to 2048x864 it should be fine and better quality than present patches. Test away. If its no good for anamorphic users, let me know! Hence beta.
  • 2560x1080
    2048x864
    1920x810 are all 2.37:1 I'm just wondering if there is an advantage to shooting with the 2560 over the 1920 in terms of image quality if the final output is 1920?

edit: by final output I mean after all clips have been edited the finished piece would be 1920 wide.

• @ehr 1.33 x anam = 2.37:1 at 2048x864 or 2560x1080 in the HD setting - try either. The 100% etc.. is ref to jpeg quality
  • what does "100% (1,1,1,1,1etc... )" mean?
    and what is the advantage of using 2560 x 1080 instead of 1920x810?

@FGCU I think in post you would scale the 2560x1080 down to 1920x810, then stretch the 810 back up to 1080...that's what I would do if I were shooting without an anamorphic lens
  • squished for normal lenses. you can change the frame sizes. :-)
  • I did a high ISO test with bkmcwd's latest 3GOP Q18 patch.
    @bkmcwd
    thanks for your effort and informing me of the patch. I'm happy with the result. nice and usable patch.

firstly, the comparison of the original source and NR version.

next, the color graded version
  • *** NEW BETA *** Driftwood Quantum BETA 3 ***

This is aimed mainly at high quality sd cards.

MJPEG 2560 x 1080 HD mode anamorphic
    Note: First recording will fail. 2nd recording onwards: You have to move around for the first second in order for
    the GH2 to write its jpeg file, then should settle. But best
    for movement. Will probaby fail at prolonged pauses ;-)
    This will give 100% (1,1,1,1,1etc... ) on jpeg snoop during the jpeg test !!!
    If you can't be bothered with the hassle of attempting to get hi quality full x2 anamorphic then lower the frame size to;- 2048x864 for stability.

MJPEG VGA Mode: 2160 x 810 anamorphic mode. Should be good on static shots.
    Best quality patch so far for VGA mode :-)

1080p24 Still AQ4, tuned to 154M with no loss of quality. L mode will span on all cards :-)
    1080i tuned bitrate/limits, FH mode is nearly equal quality, span + longer recordings. ;-)
    720p improved to AQ4/ tuned. Should be good on hi quality sd cards...

Test away and give me feedback, the next beta of 'Quantum' will happen after VK provides the next ptools release incorporating new features on HBR mode plus more;-)
    Driftwood 'Quantum' BETA 3 - seth.zip
    914B
  • @firebo14

technically, NO. you literally set the GOP SETTING to 1.

But, bitrate and other settings do get increased. there are MANY variables changed by an .ini file. It is complex hacking these suckers, not just changing of one number.
  • Quantum v2 720p60 in action ;-)
  • Sorry to ask but... a low GOP is a high number in the setting .ini file?
  • @driftwood and others. From reading here seems to be no error reports with Quantum V2? I know it's still experimental, but want to try it on a shoot tomorrow -- my two sandisk extreme 95 cards arrived from b&h today. Hurrah.
  • Its up - doing some graph checks...
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions