Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV Telegram channel! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Magix Vegas Pro 16, 15, 14 and formar Sony Vegas 13 topic
  • 185 Replies sorted by
  • A useful trick to avoid making extra email addresses: With gmail, if you take your account name and add "+something" to it, it will still come to you.

So assuming your address were markrrockz@gmail.com, you could use markrrockz+vegassucks@gmail.com. Most websites aren't smart enough to detect the difference.

• @Vitaliy If I can make the Hate video in HDR. So, checking out Vegas Pro 16 HDR capability:

1. You use the ACES system (OK).

2. There are input color spaces for all the usual suspects, including Slog2/Sgamut, by temperature (just like on the Sony FS5/FS7)!

3. The HDR templates for HEVC are HDR10 only. But you can make a 10bit HEVC HDR video with REC2020 color space. Good.

4. The HEVC template uses hardware encoding if you have an Intel chipset (newer one). Good.

5. The rendered HDR10 HEVC video has the correct metadata recognized by YouTube. Good.

In fact, DaVinci Resolve Studio 15 has no 10bit HEVC option or even an H264 10bit option. The only 10bit option in Resolve is Avid HXNHC HQ (whose name I can never remember or spell), which is humongous in size for no good reason except it has an inefficient codec.

So, Vegas is actually better than Resolve for producing easily HDR10 videos!

• @markr041

Well, I am all for HDR video.

And it actually will help us a lot if make it good, can help us to get detailed interview of Vegas product lead. :-) Won't hurt, don't you think?

• Here is my first 4K HDR test/trial video made using Vegas 16. It works - from, in this case, Sony Slog2/SGamut->REC2020 HDR10, using ACES in Vegas:

Notice the Vegas watermark, presumably a result of using trial software.

Oh, you also get to see the performance of the Sony RX100 V in really low light.

• The good news, great 4K HDR10:

The bad news: this 1:41 minute video took 12 hours, yes, 12 hours, to render in HEVC using a computer with 16GB RAM, i3 8th generation (no hardware rendering). And, no, this is not my main computer.

• My last HDR test video (the free version limits videos to 2 minutes):

This one took only two hours to render. So I am not sure what is going on.

The only HDR10 rendering option is HEVC, and my attempts to change the default bitrate from 40 Mbps to anything else from the drop-down menu resulted in an instant crash.

• @markr041

Well, idea to render 4K HEVC in software on i3 is not good one.

• Sure, but

1. I cant have supercomputer wherever I travel.
    2. DaVinci Resolve does fine on the same computer, though it does not render hevc.
  • @markr041

You certainly can afford yourself six core note. :-)

As for Resolve - it is HEVC that makes the difference, as well as 10bit and more. Vegas is faster compared to Resolve, at least it was on all notebooks I tried.

Check PM.