Personal View site logo
GH2 prices after GH3 launch
  • Whats you guys thoughts on this, what benchmark will it be - 400$ range?

• 36 Replies sorted by
  • Hmmm. Better dump em both then.

• It's also possible that the arrival of the G6 has softened the demand for the GH2.

• My guess is they'll most likely stay at these prices and slowly dwindle down further over time, as BMPCC and other better cameras come out. Only if no better cams come out soon, would we see a spike up in prices for GH2...but with tech gear we always see new stuff cheaper and better...so if you're gonna sell, I'd guess now is the best time.

• @peternap I know what ya mean. $500 seems so damn low for these but I have a BMCC and shortly, a BMPCC. I just see keeping both. The multi cam ability is nice but I can always dumb down my BMCC footage too. Do need to free up some money for storage and IRNDs though

• @vicharris Hang on to it unless you really need the cash Vic! Like you, I have 2 of them, one with hard use and the other pretty nice and a GH3. Even though my main work camera is an AC160 I still use the GH's and can't justify selling any of them.

• Yeah but I have two. I'm holding on to the one I've beat the shit out of. It's like an old pair of underwear. I really can't imagine the prices going back up either. Should have sold when it was $800!!

• @vicharris

Yeah, I noticed that the prices dropped in December 2012 you could get a brand new GH2 for $500.00 off of Amazon. Then between January and February it spiked to about $700-$800 for a used one. Now the prices dropped again to these low prices. It is pretty crazy up and down like a roller coaster. I think that this latest price drop can be attributed to the release of the BMPCC or BMBPCC as I would prefer to call it.

Might as well keep for that price?

• Has anyone else noticed the sharp drop off in used GH2 prices? I should have sold mine 6 months ago. They are going for $450 on Ebay right now. It's crazy!!

• @icloak

Most people fail to understand economics and psyhology. After certain time happens big price reduction due to sellers dumping last batches, for some time it continues with slight rise due to ebay reseller, after this price can hike much higher and go lower with time, sometimes very slow.

• @icloak it it's for back up only buy a used in mint condition.

• Also got mine new from Amazon for $499 with the 14/42 lens. With all the hacks available for that unit, I think i'll keep it for a while..

• I just bought a 7 month old GH2, 14-42, 45-200, extra battery, 8 gb memory card and cute little carrying case off of some guy for $500! I couldn't pass up that kind of deal for a B cam. Just crazy. Now to sell the 45-200!

• I hope that after gh3 release, GH1 (used) prices get down too! In Europe you can get a gh2 used body for 450€ and a used gh1 body for 300€ (which is 400$)...I hope that gh1 prices will get down, gh1 is stilla good camera, as B cam is much better than g3 and gf3 series..

• Great price!

• I was tempted at the $499 price + tax. Especially the fact that you can sell the 14-42mm to bring it down a bit more.

• Just bought a GH2 with 14-42mm kit lens from Amazon for $499.00

• Saw a GH2 used at one of the big camera shops in tokyo for the first time last week. for about $550. I have seen them as cheap as $450 from individuals.

• My biggest investment in the GH2 has been my learning time. Now, when my fingers fall right onto all of its buttons and I'm finally getting the shots I want, I won't be trading it for any GH-anything else in a hurry.

• I REALLY want a GH3 mostly due to the better build and weather-sealed body but just bought a second GH-2 "demo" for $600 shipped instead. It is proven. It is already hacked and working. I would think that with the status the GH-2 has that it will hold its own price-wise for a long time. You could buy up a few extras as "investments." Maybe a "rare" mint GH-2 in the future will be worth a million pounds or dollars!!!!!

• It might be a while before prices go down that much, from what they are now, with the price-gap between GH3 and GH2. Of course, if everyone starts flooding the second-hand market with used GH2's that could change... But if the price goes down severely, what's the point in selling it for nickels? Might as well keep it as a B-cam or backup then imho. We shall see

• I got my GH2 with the 14-42 a couple of weeks ago from B&H used dept. for $650. Like new condition with box manuals etc...

• Just bought a new GH2 at Samy's Camera in Irvine, CA for $649 body only. New 14-42 manual lens was $199.

• GH1 prices got down as low as $350 when GH2's were still sold out everywhere. GH3 would be awesome, but I'm enjoying all the support we currently have for the GH2. I'll wait til the GH3 reaches that level before I consider it.

• I see that new GH2 bodies with a 3 year guarantee are selling for £489 from Mathers of Lancashire (the company I always use) and the GH3 is pencilled in for £1449. Don't think I'd be in any rush to get one!