Personal View site logo
Red Epic and Scarlet pricing reduction
  • 115 Replies sorted by
  • what's the reason for this reduction? To many systems on stock? Lower number of orders? Under pressure by Sony & BMD (for shure not by Canon..)

• Big point that everyone misses here i think is, that RED camera's will keep running for 192049120 years, since you can replace the sensor, the sony sensor will be outdated in 2 years, and you will have to buy a new camera.

That's the biggest point for me.

• @nomad I was oversimplifying. The Viper was a 3 chip, but I remember it being a bridge to the the cams we have now. And they were all taking their sweet time, while RED just went for it.

• re: filmic look.. what Arri has is a flat, soft, organic look out of the box. Pleasant and filmic, yet I´m growing more and more allergic to ungraded (or softly graded) Arri footage.. Sony has very sharp looking footage out of the box, from what I can see (and I really don´t know why there isn´t unedited f65 footage out there) and for some cameras this might be a problem, the f3 seems to be a bit too sharp and have a bit too unpleasant highlights but I don´t see why f65 footage couldn´t be made to look good.. Even if the raw footage is on the sharper side, looking a bit video-y.

Maybe it´s down to motion rendering in the end and that´s the key issue (in which case I believe no manufacturer (or perhaps it´s a thing for post suites?) has fully hit the mark yet – how do we account for the way frames are separated in film - in digital media?) but until I have seen, edited and colored raw f65 footage I don´t see any reason why it couldn´t produce filmic images.

Obviously it´s always going to be easier in post for organic looking footage (out of the box) to look like film, but RED has in no way made such a camera as far as I´m concerned. The cine lineup from Canon actually succeeded with that (organic looking footage out of the box) but the specs at that price point is below par.

Looking forward to Penelope! And 4k raw from the fs700. :)

Edit: to clarify, Sony´s biggest mistake with the f65 marketing is in not getting footage out there quickly (from the hands of film-makers).

Edit2: 4k for second hand Reds is a good offer, no doubt. Not for me, but a good offer nonetheless.

• @shian

Well, that's not all correct. Even if I think in a similar line like you, let me give you a few facts: Sony was already developing the Genesis together with Panavision and Arri was working on the D20 when RED came along. It was in the air. Look at the concept of the ill-fated Thompson Viper.

Even without RED, we would have seen a large single sensor camera from both Sony and Arri sooner or later – but probably at a higher price point. Yes, RED kicked some ass…s, but they didn't change the world. And I still hate Sony for propagating 2/3 for movie making one year before the Genesis was ready…

And Canon? They stumbled into the game and had no plan at all. They are the ones who are really late with a great sensor and crappy recording format for too much money.

• @strip

geez, why you hate them that much?

Nope, in fact, I like them.

Sadly it won't help.

• Is the whole point of RED to look like film? I never really got that. The movies i've seen shot on RED have had some new and unique looks that I think become their own sort of standard like a new film stock. I LOVE the look of ARRI, but I also have loved the look of movies shot on RED. I think it fits well with the modern movies that are artistically edgy. Sci Fi and action films in particular. I think that they are more than a blip on the screen to the big companies.

• geez, why you hate them that much?

• Right now, isn't it probably cheaper in the long run for Sony or Canon to write Jim Jannard a $4 billion check like Geroge Lucas just got, and tell him to retire early, in order to protect their prices?

Red is not a threat to all this companies. It is just small little bug who happened to live two sunny days.

• EVERYONE except Arri missed it :)

• @stip - NO, I knew what you meant. I have sat in on MANY post production sessions (spirit/flame/DaVinci/You name it). I am referring moreso to motion within the frame and the edges of objects within. If Film is the target, I have always felt that RED just missed. ARRI hit it.

• @rockroadpix That fact right there is amazing, as much as it hurts me that I can't nearly pay that much money for anything. :( It'd be so cool to have this package... http://www.red.com/store/products/scarlet-x-lightweight-collection Then again, I would need to buy a space station to store and edit all that. Some day, maybe.

• @rockroadpix you probably misunderstood the term 'color science', it's not just about 'color', it's the whole way they create an image out of the raw sensor data.

• I think the biggest loser in all of this is Canon. They have to feel like they just got kicked in the junk. I can have a Scarlet package for a little more than a silly spec'd C300? Um, ok.

• Right now, isn't it probably cheaper in the long run for Sony or Canon to write Jim Jannard a $4 billion check like Geroge Lucas just got, and tell him to retire early, in order to protect their prices?

• Regarding $4k red one, i think they will last for 2-3 weeks in the market, with thousands people that will order the camera. The same people will need to spend minimum $10k more to make them work properly. They are selling old stuff and they will have a sold out soon. After then, they wll have huge money from accessories sold. The game is between Scarlet-Epic against Sony, the red one thing, in my opinion, is just smoke in the eyes.

• Clearly we are on opposite sides of this issue.

Some background. I was a big Sony supporter back in the day. I still have my old PD150 for sentimental reasons. I loved the look of their 3 chip cameras. Loved the F900. pleaded for years for them to develop single chip cinema technology - every year at NAB. They turned their noses up at the idea. Can't be done. No need, No desire.

Then RED comes along and completely changes the game. A single chip 4K camera for less than 100K... way less. At first a lot of scoffing, the product had some problems but eventually they start making major motion pictures with the damn thing, and then Panavision made the Genesis, Arri makes the D21, (then later the Alexa) DSLR's start shooting video, and THEN Sony gets around to making single chip cameras, and they still do a shitty job of it.

I used to be their biggest fan. I want to like them. But they make really bad decisions... really slowly.

• I don't follow the logic of assuming that RED won't innovate and refine their electronics. Seems tome that many companies like this that get successful are then able to re-engineer their products and higher better people to work on R&D for future products. Big companies like Sony have more resources, but smaller but successful companies can focus their efforts on key projects and get similar if not better results.

• @stip - theres more to the look than just color. There is merit to how the user implements it, but there is something to be said for what the image lends itself to...

• NO MORE PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE.

Whole Red is big planned obsolescence. Huge one.

Sony, Canon, and Panasonic all have the same problem. They are all FAT. Their framework and infrastructure don't allow them to change direction very quickly. Which is why it took this long for them to adopt and develop anything resembling a modular approach to their cameras. And they need SO MUCH MONEY to sustain that infrastructure that they can't price their products in a competitive manner. They are big, fat, slow, and will get crushed by more nimble competition

Let's just use proper word - they are big. Not fat.

Thing is that their size is huge plus.

Look at the Red cameras internals. They all screams - not enough engineers and not enough skill.

Today highly integrated LSI and ASICs require very high skill and big number of people. Same goes for sensors.

This will be the reason for Red going out in the super thin niche market where it'll die in agony.

Biggest thing that Red supporters ignore is that only two areas prevents wide raw video - interfaces and media.

Both are catching blazingly fast. Look at BMCC - thunderbolt and stock SSDs.

Red will be killed by progress in this areas and .. economics, they just could not sustain expenses in the niche they'll be pushed.

• It's raw, and they have a good color science, so it's flexible as hell - it's pretty much up to the user how the footage comes out in the end.

• I will say that I think this is very cool on RED's part, but I also think it takes A LOT of work to make the footage look not so "crunchy". Soderbergh calls it really organic, I don't see it, for the most part...

• How much will the axs-r5 be?

• What do you guys think a used RED one M-X body will be worth on ebay now that the price has totally bottomed out. I am now keen to look at one of these to use in TVCs and Chroma shoots..

• Exactely Shian, Sony just doesn't manage to get a non videoish image out of their cameras. Specs and shit are one thing, color science another and that's where Arri beats everyone's ass which is why it's the no.1 commerial ads camera no matter what the competition does. Red's can look filmic too with a bit more work and REdcode is fantastic to work with. Sony...they are getting the specs together but on the 'image' side they continue to disappoint me.