Personal View site logo
Are the days of consumer camcorders coming to an end?
  • 84 Replies sorted by
  • yep. US and UK 3D tv uptake obviously different to Russia!

• @NickBen

It is good idea not to project US into all other world.

Bad 3D adaptation can be caused by money hungry guys and very strict copyright preventing access to big amount of 3D content for cheap.

In US it is made worse by economic situation, Blu Ray prices, and discounters pushing cheap TV sets.

• yep. US and UK 3D tv uptake obviously different to Russia!

Because in Russia, guys always ask if TV plays MKV files and also if it can do it via network (from home server or computer). And, as it is easy to guess, all popular sets can do both :-)

• You guys just love Matroska so much.

• You guys just love Matroska so much.

Yep, it is standard torrents format :-)
    Also standard for TVs is special vertical anamorthic 3D RIPs :-)

• My next mini domestic project is by using iPhone5. Apply the same post-processing workflow as Gh2. See how far I can push. I'm hoping that it's good enough for me. Roughly it gives 41mm focal length in 35mm format which is almost same as 20mm 1.7 pancake on m43 body. Nice focal length. Yes 24p! Yes image stabilization!

Consumer camcorder market... is it still alive?

• My next mini domestic project is by using iPhone5. Apply the same post-processing workflow as Gh2. See how far I can push. I'm hoping that it's good enough for me.

You can buy cheapest small compact with 1080 and compare result.

• Ummm... I gotta buy a smartphone anyways. In fact I already got iPhone5 :)

I wanna get used to taking photo/video by using a phone.

• @stonebat

Anyway, difference is very big still, almost all compacts now can shoot 1080 (and I much prefer 30p or 60p and you are not showing it in cinema, but on monitors or TVs) and they have 10x or better zooms.

Galaxy camera gives some hope :-)

• I use the G10 and the GH2 side by side, and the G10 does some things better. The GH2 does somethings better. The GH2 always has minor color problems, which is always annoying. Need a quick macro shot? The G10 focuses down to a centimeter or so. Focus tracking? Hit the button. Aliasing got you down? OTOH, the GH2 has great sharpness. If you are doing a big shoot, and you can't hire a full crew, say ten cameras, which one is more idiot proof?

• I got Gh2, X10, and iPhone :)

All nice. No room for consumer camcorder for me.

• @stonebat my thoughts exactly. People already have phones and phones are coming with much better cameras than they did a few years ago. Phones are coming with autofocusing and picture profiles already.. How many times have you said, "damn I wish I had my camcorder" when something happens? With cell phones you have the camera in your pocket already. Plus, with cell phones and other devices becoming more and more integrated with other types of gear, people are starting to expect that newer phones will have better video/audio/still capability. It's a given these days. People aren't going to want to purchase multiple gadgets if one gadget can do 80% of the work of others. Between my GH2 and my cell phone camera, I'm never going to buy a camcorder. I'd still bet that others will do the same and over time even dedicated SLRs will start to suffer.

• @svart

Idea of phones overtaking is quite odd. It is much more complex stuff. Banks and corporations are keeping tight grip on average income, and same guys push smartphones very hard, as they are high marginal product with much shorter life.
    In contrast, compacts have tiny margins, with many manufacturers working in minus.
    Plus idea to use linear prediction model for phones photo quality is weird.

• Check out the quality of photo/video by iphoneographists.

http://www.iphoneography.com/

Not bad. Not bad at all.

I don't know anything about market overtaking stuff. I don't have crystal ball. I just know what I like when I see it.

• I didn't mean to started a flame war with this thread. I simply wanted to know if there was something I was missing with these camcorders.

I think @Vitaliy_Kiselev's link to the $300 camcorder with all of the consumer features is a perfect example of why camcorders can't stay forever. If the used $300 camcorder can shoot the same video that the $1400 model does how are these companies going to sell their high profit models?

Also the argument about autofocus isn't really a good one. The sensors are so small they really aren't changing the focus that much. In addition I would compare the camcorders to the FZ200 more so than a GH3. The FZ200 has the same autofocus that a camcorder would and probably similar low light capabilities. The big difference is that the FZ200 can take great RAW stills as well.

I really think this boils down to how many consumers will believe that a hybrid camera can take better video than a camcorder. Once the majority of people believe that then the camcorder will be short lived.

• If the used $300 camcorder can shoot the same video that the $1400 model does how are these companies going to sell their high profit models?

$300 is not the normal retail price for S90K camcorder, this is first.
    Also I rarely see $1400 prices, it is also exaggregation.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-X900MK-Camcorder-Internal-HC-X900MK/dp/B0072B5E2Y/ - $898

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0072B5E2Y/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1349366774&sr=8-1&keywords=panasonic+x900&condition=used - $744 for returned

The FZ200 has the same autofocus that a camcorder would

Nope. Not the same. It is same as say that FF cameras have the same FF as m43.

The big difference is that the FZ200 can take great RAW stills as well.

I don't really know why you bring this as argument.

Once the majority of people believe that then the camcorder will be short lived.

And this is into religion territory.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Pick any number between $300 and $1400 and my point will be the same. A comparable Hybrid camera will be less than a camcorder in the same condition(ie: new vs. used).

Are you saying that the difference between a 1/3" sensor and a 1/2.33" sensor is comparable to the difference between full frame and m4/3s? I simply don't follow your logic there.

I bring up stills because that is my argument. Most people shopping for a consumer camcorder think that a camcorder can take better video than a still camera. However, they want both in one camera so they sometimes end up buying the hybrid still camera instead. The more people that realize how good the video is in a hybrid camera the less that will purchase a camcorder.

We shall see. Are there any numbers on whether or not camcorder sales are declining? I will look for those numbers.

• A comparable Hybrid camera will be less than a camcorder in the same condition(ie: new vs. used).

It is strange statement.

A comparable sausage is cheaper than the bread.

Are you saying that the difference between a 1/3" sensor and a 1/2.33" sensor is comparable to the difference between full frame and m4/3s?

They have 1/4.1" sensors as I remember, and difference is pretty close.

Most people shopping for a consumer camcorder think that a camcorder can take better video than a still camera.

And it is true, for most normal uses and average tasks camcorders are much better.

The more people that realize how good the video is in a hybrid camera the less that will purchase a camcorder.

On comparable price usually you have some problem with hybrids.
    Bad handling, lens problems, much worse stabilizer, issues with build in microphones, issues with AGC, issues with auto modes.

• Vitaliy, you are correct that my comment on 4K and 3D TV is badly written and wrong.

Today's 3D streams cut either the horizontal or vertical resolution in half (or could cut the frame rate in half) to provide the left and right images inside the existing stream (example - 1920x1080 is used as 960x1080 for side by side). One could also split by frames so that a 1080p/60 stream might hypothetically be encoded as every other frame for the left eye and the other for the right to become two streams of 1080p/30. Don't think anyone is doing that now, though, and it raises some issues with the GOP interframe coding.

A 4k stream supports 4x the screen real estate (both horizontal and vertical are doubled from 2k). 4k is 3840 x 2160.

What I meant to imply is that a 4k video stream can support 3,840x1,080-pixel image per eye (or split the other way - 1920x2160) - which is better for 3D than today's half rate solutions based on 2k.

I have doubts that end consumers will be doing much 4k video recording of their own, for now, as it is a lot of data to play with.

• What I meant to imply is that a 4k video stream can support 3,840x1,080-pixel image per eye (or split the other way - 1920x2160) - which is better for 3D than today's half rate solutions based on 2k.

I understand.

I am not talking about streams, I am talking about actual televisions that provide half of vertical resolution to each eye. Issue is, our eyes are not independent, and here you present with images obtained from two horizontally positioned cameras (with some offset between them), so, claims that you see half the resolution are wrong.
    In fact, passive 3D feels like having better resolution compared to FullHD 2D, because of 3D.

• I will just jump in and say I just bought a Sony HDR-CX730 on a recommendation and I wanted a decent zoom and the cam cost about as much as the 14-140mm. Glad I did.

It has 50p,very fast AF,Decent power zoom,very very good lowlight ability (Made comparison with gh2 and its not far off it) and has the most amazing stablisation (its like a built in steadycam).

In many ways cameras like this have their place.

Until one day somebody delivers a good proper video AF orientated lens with kick ass stablisation,smooth aperture and a decent motorised zoom range (4x times dont cut it) for DSLRs in a compact size and reasonable price?

Vitaliy is spot on. There is need for both. And I gotta say video has improved greatly on camcorders of late. certainly in terms of lowlight. For no nonsense run and gun shooting camcorders are just better for this use.

• My favourite thing about the GH2 is the 20mm f1.7 that has just the right DOF to make the footage of people look really nice. My extended family sometimes point out shots taken with the 20mm and say 'That looks really good'. They don't know about DOF they just notice the subject looks sharp and clear, but I know that the slightly defocused background is doing all the work.

It makes me think that a simple AVCHD camcorder with this 'NICE' fov and dof that keeps things focused, exposed and stabilised automatically would be unstoppable.

You might think that the NEX or G series hits this mark but these cameras are still too complicated for a someone who wants something simple. I think the Sony RX-100 is almost the right type of product but perhaps still a little too complicated.

• We carry a phone. More likely a smartphone. Plus a key chain, a fat wallet, an e-book or a tablet. What else would you carry in your man bag? A consumer camcorder or RX100 or Gf3 with 20mm 1.7 or X100?

• All comsumer camcorders are very small and light now :-)

And usually you not carry them to make amazing video of crashed car and dead bodies inside. So you make plans. ANd for me, even 3 extra camcorders do not make difference as you need good lighting on set anyway.

• For making plans, why not Gh2? For unplanned stuffs, I think a smartphone or a small hybrid is better for taking both photo/video. But that's just my opinion. I'm sure others will find camcorder useful.

Nothing is really dead. Compact isn't dead. FF isn't dead. Crop dslr isn't dead. Mirrorless isn't dead. Camcorder isn't dead either. Only film is dead.