Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Are the days of consumer camcorders coming to an end?
  • 84 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev OK Vitaliy, you are one of the people that I pay a lot of attention to when you speak. I've been considering another camcorder for run and gun which is mostly what I do.

I'm still using my old Canon HF G10 but it doesn't do 1080 60P which is a must have for me. I have an ENG camera and 2, GH2's which I may sell and a GH3 which I won't sell.

What Camcorder(s) would you recommend?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev One of my favorite books on film-making is by Andrei Tarkovsky, "Sculpting in Time". (You're fortunate you can read original) He talks about getting an emotional feeling that is true to you, but often does not give the viewer the same feeling. What can one do? It is the main problem of film-making. What is interesting to you, in people or content, may not be interesting to me, and visa-versa. So how do you get me to have the same feeling you have? How do I get you to experience the same feelings I have?

You're right in that content is what will give you an emotional response. All I can say is that I have shot some stuff in RAW that gives me a different emotional response I have gotten from the same content, as shot with a camcorder or camera. For you to think I'm bragging about getting a film-look, or to think I'm interested in a flame-war, is misguided.

Very few people understood Tarkovsky. Why? I'm not trying to get "film-like". That's just the way I'm trying to explain it. I'm trying to get a look that expresses how I feel. But I feel you writing my questions off as if I'm pro RAW, or anti camcorder, or anything else.

One of my favorite cameras now (thanks to you) is a GF3 and with Fujian TV lens. Why? Because it give me a certain feeling. I love the look. I don't care about it's megapixels, bitrate, etc. RAW gives me another emotional feeling I can't get from other cameras. Because you can get the most out of the Panasonic cameras I'm naturally curious to know if you can get the same look.

Again, because I like it. Not because it is better. There is no better.

• One of my favorite cameras now (thanks to you) is a GF3 and with Fujian TV lens. Why? Because it give me a certain feeling. I love the look.

@maxotics Maybe you might try to focus more on lenses than in cameras. I know what are you talking about - one day I've shoot a live performance here from a DJ (Mix Master Mike, the Beastie Boys DJ - info for the music guys :) ) with my GH2, with two different lenses - the Panny 20mm 1.7 and the Canon FD 50mm 1.4 (in 2.0). The settings were the same for both.

The Panny shot were perfect - excellent exposure, sharp as hell (as usual with that lens), was really very good. With the FD 50mm...not as sharp, a different point of view (I was in the same point, the it came a close shot), not as focused since I have to do it manually. But I've preferred the FD shot a lot more - more organic, more filmic (and both shots were in 24p).

Cameras are important, but a lot of character from a shot are obtained from the lens (people, could correct me if I'm wrong). And grading - maybe @shian and the other grading experts here could give you some hints.

And I have a Fujian 35mm too - hate it for photos, but made some lovely movie shots with it. :)

• Panasonic X900 or X920

I've been wanting to get one of those cameras for a while. The Canons are nice, but I feel Panasonic has maintained their lead in video technology for quite some time now. Panasonic doesn't focus on still cameras. That should tell you something. Even in my little test between the EOS-M and Panasonic G5 video, I found the Panasonic video to be better (subjective opinion).

@MarcioK My favorite saying in all photography, "Amateurs talk bodies, professionals talk glass and photographers talk lighting" I couldn't agree with you more! You only have one chance to take a shot, the more you know about how the equipment will work, the better it will hopefully match you intended effect. If someone said, uses X lens on X camera and set it to this, you will get a very natural look to your image, I'd try it! I've gone to great pains to put up videos www.vimeo.com/maxotics where I do comparisons. They aren't good creative videos, but they should help others, as they've helped me, understand the pluses and minuses of various equipment. That said, I'm sure you can relate when I say that when I bring the wrong equipment or try something weird I often get better results than if I did everything theoretically perfect. Anyway, if you have a Canon, or can borrow one, try RAW. You can't grade color and detail image-information that isn't there. But if @shian knows how to get the look I'm after in H.264 there's no way I'm going to keep torturing myself with RAW. I'm waiting :)

• One way to make a video is to buy a dozen camcorders and set them to face recognition. Use a couple of hacked GH2 as well. You can do it with all GH2/3 but it does not work as well. The only hurdle left is sooth, silent zooming and tracking, in an inexpensive, lightweight package with good low light. As soon as they do that, there will be no reason to get a camcorder. Until then, the Canon Pro CMOS M4xx series used for say $200 is hard to beat (not the newer ones where they "removed" the Pro sensor). Of course, that is only one way to make a video. You can just use one cam, and rely on your artistry. Looking forward to 4K camcorders. @MarcioK most professionals that I have met will talk about anything if you buy them a few drinks.

• the Canon Pro CMOS M4xx series used for say $200 is hard to beat

I agree! The cameras have full manual exposure control (with lock). A mic input. I suggested one for my cousin. He already had a Canon T1i he used for video. He uses his M500 camcorder most of the time now. Unless you want low DOF, wide-ish angle shots, those camcorders (Panasonics too) are almost idiot-proof.

• @maxotics Agreed. My M41 does 24p with 1/24 shutter, and allows lowering of contrast, saturation and exposure to make grading easier in post...