Personal View site logo
Comer copy LED
  • 36 Replies sorted by
  • @stonebat

You are pretty hard at it. But in many places it deserves such approach.
    About mount - use any ball head and hotshoe mount on top.
    About cord - this is used for connecting to large battery solution as I understand.

Still not much info about ligh quality and amount :-)
    Can you place it and Z96 side by side?

• Yeap. It was a good idea to see how it works. I wanna return it for a full refund.

The "vertical" angle lock has no knob. I had to use a quarter coin to lock it each time. Since it's front heavy, I had to tighten it hard each time. Annoying.

The hotshoe base doesn't rotate. Neither the neck. So the light cannot be adjusted horizontally.

No idea what this does. One end connects to the side of the light. But the other end... no idea. I couldn't connect to a battery charger.

When the light was tilted just slightly downward, the condenser lens opened up slightly. Then it gave more intense and smaller light with yellowish center. Nope this can't be a feature. It's a major showstopper.

Covering one side with either side protection plate worked fine to cover smaller area.

The package includes a battery and a charger. The charger made noise when I shook it. Some part broken internally? The light gear can't connect to the power charger directly. Of course plastic body parts.

The gear covered about light area as much as Z96 where Z96 gave more even and softer light.

I can't recommend this at all. I have Z96 and Cool Lights CL-LED256, and I was hoping this new light to fill the gap between them... but it failed. Z96 is more portable and easier to use. CL-LED256 is better built and more versatile.

While testing it out, I decided to attach CL-LED256 on a rig for the first time. Not bad. I really like the CL.
    20110803-IMG_1407.jpg
    538 x 720 - 337K
  • I will test it out for review purpose, but I'm getting a new replacement. I don't wanna take a chance that the LED bulbs die next month. It would have taken a lot of force to break the plastic.
  • @stonebat
    Why not do a quick test?
  • No response from the seller yet. I will test it out tonight.
  • >The cracked piece is not a diffuser glass. It's a penetrative plastic that protects the LED bulbs

I understand. But still do not see anything major here.

I think it is stupid not to test it and compare with Z96.
  • The cracked piece is not a diffuser glass. It's a penetrative plastic that protects the LED bulbs. I gotta disassemble the whole box to remove the part. The cracks on the protective plastic looks bad... there could be damage on the LED bulbs, too. Also some other part was loosen. I want a total replacement.

I didn't bother to charge its bundled battery. I packed it. It's ready to ship back... if the seller responds to me. It wasn't easy to correct the angle. No knob. I had to twist a big coin to lock it. Definitely front heavy. My Z96 has a knob, is more compact and better balanced to sit on a cage rig. I recommend Z96 or W96.
  • @stonebat

Just ask him for replacement of diffuser shipped by express.
    I am sure you could replace it.

How are your expirience with it?
  • I'm not getting a good luck with online goods lately. Another broken one...

20110801-_1040577.jpg
    720 x 540 - 323K
  • Just want to add important info.
    It is copy of lower powered Comer light.

Here is copy of higher powered light ($200 shipped):
    http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/469385039-Wholesale-BL-1200-LED-Video-light-LED-Video-Light-for-DV-Camcorder-Lighting-Continuous-Lighting-wholesalers.html
  • Thanks for the link. I was looking for 3rd light.