Personal View site logo
Are the days of consumer camcorders coming to an end?
  • 84 Replies sorted by
  • @mpgxsvcd

Really, go and try. As all this words about "not really a match:" is just flame.

All of this camcorders are much better than m43 or even FZ200 if you need to do usual stuff.

As for Sony stab, it is not matched by anything alse.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Does the Canon have 60p? I couldn't figure out if it was 1080i or 1080p @ 60 FPS.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Yes I didn't check the Sony offerings yet. I will look at those now. However, the Canon camcorders are still extremely popular and I simply don't see why. For that kind of money I can't fathom buying that camcorder.

I imagine that a lot of people that bought these camcorders before would just use their phones now. However, I still see a lot of my friends show up to events with a brand new $1000+ camcorder that they use once and then never use again.

• They sure haven't come very far in the last 4 years

They use AVCHD. Period.

As for me, I do not need 24p or 25p in camcorder. All I need is proper 60p and they have it.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

From 1080i I assume? It doesn't indicate that it does 24p in the spec page so I can only assume that it is like the old GH1 1080p @ 24 FPS mode. They sure haven't come very far in the last 4 years.

It is strange too because 1080p @ 60 FPS started in camcorders first. However, it still is only in a handful of them while it is quickly becoming standard on stills cameras.

• Thing is that for average amateur person camcorders are better options. As they are also much better option for many serious things.

You also removed Sony camcorders with their gyro stabilizer from the list for unknown reasons.

Also check Panasonic HC-V700 or previous SD90 model, they are smaller and have 28mm lens.

• Progressive 1080/24p (NTSC)/ 1080/25p (PAL)*

Set the HD camcorder to Digital Cinema mode to shoot in the progressive 1080/24p (24 pictures per second) format for NTSC area, and in the progressive 1080/25p format for PAL area. Progressive scanning captures clear, vibrant images with intricate detail. You also get faithful images with an appealing film-like quality.

From X900 page :-)