Personal View site logo
GH2 Shoulder Mount Follow Focus rig - Gini + TrusMT
  • 31 Replies sorted by
  • Nice rig LPowell. I'd love to see it on a actual shoulder of someone. It looks fairly compact, I like that.
  • Thanks for this Lpowell! I'll do the same thing as you... this is very nice setup!
  • Be interesting to compare the Tokina 20 - 35mm to my Canon FD 20 - 35 f3.5L. They are similar construction.
  • Nice lpowell, just need a monitor now. That WA adapter is discontinued, but there are many other nice HD models from Cavision and 16 x9.
  • Notes:

1. I positioned the chest mount to nestle in the hollow of my left front shoulder, just below the collar bone.

2. I positioned the bottom hand grip so that it can be held in either left or right hand. This allows me to work with either hand free as needed.

3. I positioned the top hand grip for applying downward pressure with my right hand on both the right shoulder mount and the left chest mount. This enables me to rigidly brace the mount for maximum stability.

4. I put the follow focus on the right side of the lens to allow me to quickly switch my right hand between the top hand grip and the follow focus wheel.

5. The TrusMT Follow Focus comes with two identical gears which can mount simultaneously on both ends of the gear shaft. This makes rail positioning much more flexible.

6. The key to follow focus mechanical stability is the custom rail mount on the Nikon->M4/3 adapter. I fashioned this out of a tripod collar mount made for a Canon telephoto lens, with a hard rubber gasket to apply pressure evenly around the circumference of the adapter.

7. The rail-mounted Nikon->M4/3 adapter allows me to independently swap out both lenses and camera bodies without disassembling the shoulder mount. The camera is attached to the rig solely via the M4/3 lens mount.

8. The Tokina auto-focus zoom features a constant f2.8 aperture and a manual focus ring suitable for attaching a follow focus gear ring. The front lens barrel neither rotates nor extends when zooming or focusing, making it convenient to use with a separate lens hood.

9. The 16X9 wide angle adapter converts the Tokina 20-35mm into a 14-24mm f2.8 zoom lens. This wide angle adapter is heavier than the lens itself, but its image quality is well worth it.

10. The rail-mounted lens hood and its three flags can be easily adjusted or removed along with the front rail extensions.

11. Without the camera, lens, and counterweight, the rig weighs only 3kg.