Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 Shoulder Mount Follow Focus rig - Gini + TrusMT
  • 31 Replies sorted by
  • I would think it's difficult to find a suitable bag to lug this thing around. So you disassembled it after every shoot?
  • No, we'd leave it as it is in the grip truck till production is over. It really takes damn a long time to set up. Then on set, you have other things to think about- there is lighting design, which will take some more time. Sometimes, its easier to just set up things the old way - tracks, dollies, even a jib arm will be faster
  • @PixCanFly
    My Gini rig is pretty quick to pack for transport. The matte box comes off and the camera and lens are simply removed from the Nikon lens adapter. I then detach the chest pad support arm and the top and bottom handles. The shoulder pad rails slide all the way forward without disassembly. Nikon lens mount and follow focus remain attached, and the compacted rig fits easily inside a duffel bag.
  • @LPowell

I have a small preamp with this power spec: 7.5-12V AC or DC < 150mA (external) or USB bus powered or 9V Battery @ 20mA typical, 50mA max. (phantom power)

Will the Satechi iCel 5200 mAh battery work over the USB port?

What other alternatives did you consider before choosing Satechi iCel? Have you considered this solar powered USB battery charger http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Solar-Charger-Built--Windshield/dp/B00449U3K0/ref=zg_bs_515383011_1?

Thanks.
  • @stonebat

You can look at other batteries also.
    I remember few cheap ones with multiple voltages mentioned in GH powering topics.
  • @stonebat

Yes, the Satechi outputs power through its USB 2.0 port, so it should power up your USB-compatible preamp. You charge the Satechi from another USB power source, and can do so at the same time it's powering another device. It easily powers the Zoom H4n for six hours or more. I don't recall what other batteries I considered, but the Satechi was the most elegant and compact.

Satechi iCel 5200 mAh USB Rechargeable Battery
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BF12QO

That solar-powered external battery looks interesting, but apparently it can only be charged up to 50% of its capacity by the sun.