Personal View site logo
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • It seems that Apocalypse Now - Intra Venus GOP1 176M will be the "setting of all settings"! Can't wait for this!!

• Does "Apocalypse Now" or simulated 444 benefit the GH2 B&W modes as well? Particularly when it comes to banding.

• @rajamalik Thanks for the update. Too bad Sedna doesnt get 444 :|

Another question - if I use the latest Nebula and shoot using 24L - do i still get the same quality videos? i understand it uses lower bitrates, but is everything else the same (great video quality, softer and everythign nebula has to offer)?

TIA

• I am very impressed with the quality of the new patch Nebula Apocalypse Now. Soft image, a color much more realistic and attractive. Thank you very much to all testers especially Driftwood, Vitaly, and cbrandin. I have really wanted to try for my next short film IntraVenus. Thank you very much for your work.

• I tried out Apocalypse Now Nebula 6 Soft last night and I had some read errors when trying to play the video back within camera. It also stopped recording after I attempted to playback, and I had to restart my camera before I was able to record again. The weird thing is that I was able to play back before that, but I stopped trying after it failed twice. Maybe it's because my card isn't fast enough? But I've shot with the same card on CM Night multiple times on long shoots with no problems.

Everything else worked fine though, the image quality is great! Thank you for your hard work!

• I got a few minutes to try AN Drewnet Sharp 2 today. I used a 55mm Nikkor 2.8 lens 1080p 24 50fps. Zeus was being uncooperative and not staying put but I suppose he turned out fairly well....but

Whenever I'd video something static like a tree or monkey grass, the video would breakup and flicker.

I'll try a few more lenses then I want to try the same ones in soft.

zeus1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • @Soup Intra Venus GOP1 all I frame 176 Mbit patch will kill all the patch. Sedna doesn't need to be 444.

• no, i was confused when reading the description of apocalypse now that it can do AN 20 (lol just misread). I thought that it was some kind of a new setting that i missed. i got it now. thanks.

• @bangkng AN = Apocalypse Now. Settings files are on the first posts of this thread. There are several variants Soft/Sharp and GOP6 (Cluster), GOP 12/15 (DREWNet). An Intra (GOP1) preset is coming soon.

If you don't know what the benefits are, or understand the first posts of this thread, then you need to start your research. People will help you, but not spoon feed.

• ignore my comment. deleted.

• Just wanted to report that the DREWnet/Soft patch did not span in three separate attempts using a 32 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s card shooting at 24H.

Will test the 64 GB card in the morning.

• @cbrandin: So you think those artifacts wont occur, when i set my camera to -2 at sharpening?

I like the AN settings a lot. I think it might be a step for the GH2 to sometimes looking less videoish, especially with lower apertures and more dof.

But sofar just from my gut feeling, the setting is not tweaked 100% yet.

• Got it. Thanks mate.

Also,

No Sedna 444?? :P

• Distortion correction in camera is not really so bad, but the added sharpening is.

@cbrandin I agree. When testing lenses, I always shoot a photo in full-rez too. They show so much more – problems too – that is just not visible in 1080.

• So distortion correction via camera body is bad? I just got the PL 24mm 2 days ago and testing it out :)

• @lpowell Ah it might be cost saving reason.

• Test of "Valkyrie" Soft:) (parody)

• @QuickHitRecord After going through footage from this afternoon -- after staring hard at skies filmed using a graduated ND filter -- I did indeed find banding.

I had to look for it -- it wasn't the kind of banding that stood out and would distract any kind of normal viewer.

With enough cloud activity going on -- you'll see no banding.

So, I think it's fair to say -- the appearance of banding is reduced with this setting. It's there -- but you need to look for it.

• @stonebat I have the Leicasonic 14-50mm f2.8-3.5 and the 25mm f1.4 L-X025, and neither of them use Panasonic's in-body distortion correction. However, these are both legacy Four Thirds lenses, so it could be that Micro 4/3 Pana-Leica lenses do use distortion correction.

• Like onionbrain, I have not seen any color banding in the test footage for this setting. Is this finally the magic bullet?

• @vicharris Works for me, but very choppy....same card.

• I just realized that in camera playback does not work in 1080p24 but it does in 720p60. Anyone else experience this? And yes, I'm using the 95mbs, 64g extreme card.

• CA probably isn't going to be an issue at 1080p. Color shifting at edges can be, however, especially with full frame digital cameras - that shows up irrespective of output resolution.

• @cbrandin wrote: "One thing to consider - video is much lower resolution than still photography. For video, lots of this talk about sharpness and sensor size vs full frame lenses is academic."

This I can immediately agree with. If chromatic aberration is a problem at 1080 -- well...

Regarding @nomad comment about highlight handling -- in my experience, with a quality Nikkor on a GH2 -- half of the bad highlight problem instantly vanishes. Stick an MFT lens on -- and you're instantly back at full force bad highlights.

• One thing to consider - video is much lower resolution than still photography. For video, lots of this talk about sharpness and sensor size vs full frame lenses is academic.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions