Personal View site logo
BlackMagic: Official $2,995 raw cinema camera topic
  • 1156 Replies sorted by
  • @CRFilms

Reason of their price is proper design. It is compact, not many fancy buttons, simple standard SSDs, using cheap ready touch screen + panel combo. And also remember software package that is included for free.

• 15.6x8.8??? am I missing something? That seems kind of small. Anyway, looks like all the other makers will have to up the ante, which is a good thing. If it solves the aliasing and DR problem, I'm in, if not I'll stick to trusty GH2 and HF G10s

• This will also give the Ikonoskop a run for its money.

• Can't believe they stole Red's idea of (approx) 3K for 3K.

Yes, kidding.

• @duch thanks! Ugh, it's too bad it isn't any higher :(

• I would guess their pricepoint was targeting the 5DMIII. They came in $500 less. Canon fanboys go poop in the pants...

• @rockroadpix

Canon is completely different camera, it is full frame, real DSLR, stills oriented (with very good video).

And here you have much smaller sensor (hence worse LL), full RAW, metal compact body. It is professional video camera, just next generation, Not the big sensor placed in old body, like AF100.

• The sensor size is big, but not as big as a lot of people want. It'll do very well given the features, I'll buy one for sure, but it would do a lot better with a Super 35 or Full Frame sensor.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev a Canon A1200 costs $80 now($110 new) and takes great still pics...you can't tell me to get it to take similar video would cost more than $1000, if that. Everybody is currently going by price point then building the hardware to that price point.

Build a A1200 to shoot proper 1080p uncompressed...charge $1500...you now made $500 profit per cam, at least...how much money do you need? I'm tired of the more simple, the more streamlined, the more expensive it is. Simpler, smaller, more streamlined should be cheaper. Any company that finally gets that will have my undying loyalty. BM isn't there yet, but they're closer than most.

• c'mon guys. Could somebody please verify that this is not a late April 1st joke ! This is going to be " THE " camera for a large user market. I hope they are not going to put us through another long journey following a RED carrot at the end of the stick.

• @CRFilms

Problem is that price is never defined only be cost to manufacture.
    Anf this camera will sell like hot cakes.

As for smaller raw cameras. raw video will become standard feature like stills raw in some time (just give sensors, LSI and SD Cards time to keep up).

• Could somebody please verify that this is not a late April 1st joke !

It is not. Checked by April 1 professional :-)

This is going to be " THE " camera for a large user market.

Yep.

I hope they are not going to put us through another long journey following a RED carrot at the end of the stick.

They seems to be pretty certain about release date.

• Compared to a standard 35mm motion picture film frame, the crop factor (both normalized to 16:9) looks to be around 1.36. For Super S16mm, the crop factor would be 1.7, so the sensor size is almost exactly in the middle between S16mm and 35mm.

• I think disruptive technology will only come from companies that have not established themselves in a particular market. This camera shows it. (And the RED before. And also happened with iPod, etc.). Envisioning a total new package, new interface that is simpler, easier, and with exactly the things people need to get things done. No more, no less. If not for the "other" companies, technology would get stuck, because of the protective nature of established companies. I think there is much room for these products.

• Now I want option to mount m43 lenses (may be not with AF), but with aperture and OIS. :-)

How about talk with BM guys?

I hope our guys at NAB will tell them few words.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev The Kineraw-8p could be 2k for under $2k but that's still to be determined and it's probably a year or so before it's released. I do think that 2k should cost under $1k to manufacture, but yeah, this BM cam will sell like hot cakes. I would rather it be cheaper, but this is cheap enough for most people vs a 5dMk3 or other cam.

BM will make "windfall" profits on this, and they'll have earned every cent.

• Ok the site is slower than snails PV'ers get off there! ;-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev - I get you on the stills and FF, but there are a LOT of people that jumped for the 5DMk3 as their next high end video camera. I'm tired of a lot of the pixel peeping and I want more of an image that grades and is uncompressed. This camera delivers raw output which is what a lot of people were hoping for from Canon and Nikon. The digital bolex is/was a camera that offered hope in somewhat unrealistic terms as it was not from professionals. This cam may actually deliver.

• @redbaron

All the specs and most images are in first post fo the topic :-)

• The digital bolex is/was a camera that offered hope in somewhat unrealistic terms as it was not from professionals.

It is hard to compare a joke to a product :-)

This cam may actually deliver.

I am sure here.

• Have this camera AF? I don't understand this phrase (tech specs page): "Focus: Focus button turns on peaking" Sorry for my question but my english is very poor Thanks.

• @paglez

No, no AF. Only focus peaking that helps you to check Af during manual adjustment.

• Ok, now I understand it. Thank you Vitaliy

• @rockroadpix The KineRaw-8p is real and has a real prototype in the field. 2K for "possibly" under $2k, but they're focusing on the KineRaw-S35 4k first, then probably Kineraw-16, then finally the 8p.

The KineRaw-S8p "looks" like the best bang for buck, but it's final price hasn't been released vs the BM which has.....BM is the top dog in it's price segment now.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

not so sure : "Blackmagic Cinema Camera allows full electronic control of your lens, so you can simply point, set iris and focus on command!"

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions