Personal View site logo
STEADICAM SOLUTION FOR GH2
  • 158 Replies sorted by
  • i would think the stedy cam would work 20 times better with this camera since its less rolling shutter

• I use a blackbird with 7d. I found a fair amount of penduluming and poor dynamic balance (would tilt if panned). I'vetried moving the weights so that they're along the lens axis. Sometimes it's great,some times terrible. Seems very sensitive to balancing. I'm thinking of trying the hd2000 (with the knowledge I'll need to add weight if I get the gh2). Just wondering if anyone has tried the blackbird and the hd2000 /1000'and your tights if y have. (the wderlan cf looks interesting too,but haven't seen a single demo that doesn't pendulum everywhere)

Lol love autocorrect should read your thoughts if you have...

• Same as aktivfilm, i use my Steadicam JR with my GH1 or GH2. One little weight on top of the camera, and everything is very smooth. I use it with the 17mm olympus or the 14mm pana-cake. The whole system is so light you can hold this for quite a long time

steadicam-jr-sympathievideo.jpg
    900 x 1073 - 236K
  • Hi,

I might be going for the Glidecam HD 1000. I've read many commands and reports saying it works great on the GH2. What do you think, is that the best choice?

I am going to shoot with the Noktor 12 mm 1,6 (360kg) and the 14-140 mm kit lense. Whats your experience?

Looking forward to your feedback. Alex

• You are right, as usual. I meant the 14-42mm., Kount.

• @aktivfilm

Willkommen onboard!

When you say standard lens, are you referring to either the 14-42mm or 14-140mm kit lens?

• Does anyone have experience with the sachtler artemis handheld? http://shop.artemis-hd.com/en/artemis-Handheld/artemis-handheld.html

• Good news for old STEADICAM JR owners (or for those who would like to buy it second hand)! I was able to stabilize my old Steadicam Junior (JR) by means of removing the monitor, removing all batteries AND weights. I placed the GH2 with its standard lens in the aft position and worked out the top heavy control by unscrewing the head almost completely. It was tricky but I guarantee it works marvellously.

• Definitely need to add top weight. Vitaliy's weight solution is the way to go. I'm about to order one and try and get this ASXMOV Steadicam ST-10 stabiliser working which has been sat in its bag for weeks! Great for big cams, but the spring/suspension action needs a lot of weight to even get it it to work. Stick a cage or weighty mount on and its ok.
  • @bert

for 15 EUR that's pretty impressive
  • just made a 15 EURO plywood steadycam.. http://vimeo.com/groups/gh2/videos/31826945
  • Glidecam still has the same build as the other steadicams. Check the link I posted. I'm after something like that.

As for Glidecam, there's so many 1000, 2000, 4000....which one is best for it's value?
  • I worked on a glidecam 2000 last weekend for some running stuff and it came out great...
  • For a stabilizer, is there anything more in the ilk of the equipment in this photo, for the GH2: http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/296169_10150345586285733_660630732_10004822_1905788_n.jpg
  • Getting a Wondlan Ares now. Am happy to post some samples once it's set up though I'm afraid the tests won't be very usable since I don't own any other steadicams to compare to :/
  • @davhar

It's working out great for me! Nice and compact... easy to "fly" around. It's so light that I can even sprint with it. Try doing that with a F3 or Alexa glidecam rig... ;)
  • @davhar I'm happy with the glidecam, still learning how to move properly for smooth results, but the construction is good, and it's fairly easy to balance. I would recommend getting a quick release plate to go along with it though, it makes switching the camera easier, and adds a bit of weight, which is nice since I think the GH2 with 14-42 kit lens is almost too light for the stabilizer to work at its best
  • It looks like we need a shootout to decide which steadicam is the best. The contenders are the Glidecam HD1000 vs Steadicam Merlin vs Black Bird vs Wonderlan Ares/Pegasus vs Flycam Nano. Seems like the HD1000 is the winner so far.
  • @bwhitz and pingpongcomputer

How's your Glidecam HD 1000 working out? Need to know. Wanna buy. Maybe
  • @starstuff

Ares cares heavier cams and balancing plate is a bit different ...
    Pegasus might work well as it is for DV camcorders and light DSLR's.
  • I see many using the Wondlan Ares for the GH2. But would the Wondlan Pegasus suffice as well?
    I'm asking because I can get a used Pegasus cheap, in very good condition.

I'm mostly using light lenses, like the 14-42mm kit lens or some 50mm 1.8.
    Is the Ares any different or is it just so it can carry a heavier setup?
  • Has anybody tried/have an opinion on the steddiepod?
  • Do these things really work? Tried one aeons ago, gave it up cos I found my hands to be a tad more steady. The only real steadicam rigs (Steadicam as trademark) are those used by broadcast DPs. Those are so heavy they will break yr back in the long haul, but they produce images that are stunningly stable and smooth.
  • @mennofokma I fly the flycam nano (regular version, not DSLR) and I've been rather pleased with it for the price. The largest difficulty is achieving perfect balance (Glidecam HD1000 probably beats it in this area as it's better-built and easier to adjust on the fly). But for all intents and purposes a Flycam Nano works just fine. I'll post footage later to support my claim.

PS- I fly it with the 14-140 stock lens and purchased some half-weights from the hardware store to balance exactly right. Definitely takes practice to master.
  • good to hear, I should have it by late next week, I hope to get good enough to use on a shoot within a month