Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
STEADICAM SOLUTION FOR GH2
  • 158 Replies sorted by
  • @ LongJohnSilver I didn't mean it is impossible to make it work. It just hasn't worked for me. Tried it with both 20mm pancake and 14-140 lens, both 24 and 60 p and still it gave me too much shakiness.
  • >Could you explain why the Manfrotto 585 doesn't work with the GH1?

Stay away from Manfrotto 585, It is not good.
  • > Stay away from Manfrotto 585, It is not good.

Could you point me to a simple and small GH1 steadicam for a weekend shooter like me?

Thank you in advance
  • Any experiences to share here with the Hague or Steadytracker?
  • Hague is clearly not good with their friction ball system.
    Steadytracker is similar in concept to $5 stabilizer project from steel pipe :-) Just more advanched.
    Look for gymbal based stabilizers.
  • Okay it looks like the consensus here is you can't go cheap on stabilizers. I don't want to get into a situation where I'm eating up time trying to balance it. That's seems to be an big issue.

EDIT: the Hague also has a really lousy system of ordering for US based customers. You can't even find out the cost until you start filling out invoices. They take your credit card then tell you how much they just charged you? No thanks Hague.
  • >I don't want to get into a situation where I'm eating up time trying to balance it. That's seems to be an big issue.

This is why I suggested stabilizers with good top platform.
    Indian models are badly lacking in this aspect.
  • And the Lensse MidX? Does it also suck?
  • >And the Lensse MidX? Does it also suck

It uses same friction based concept :-)
  • How about the stabilizer you had once mentioned that's made by the teacher in Ankara? Is he still making stabilizers? I
  • I'm using a Steadicam Merlin with my GH1 - it works well, but as has been said you have to pay attention to the tutorial video to set it up correctly, and also practice a lot!

There are some starter settings posted at http://www.merlincookbook.com/user.php for the GH1 / GH2.

The rig is very light of course but this means you don't get so tired holding it. The Merlin is more expensive than competing products but you get what you pay for - this one was designed by Garrett Brown who created and developed the original arm-and-vest-Steadicam, and his experience shows in the product.

The Steadicam Operator's Handbook (published by Amherst Media) is worth reading too - it mostly talks about the big Steadicam rigs, but it helps you understand all the principle involved, and many of the techniques apply to the Merlin as well.

On the subject of software stabilizers - no, they are no substitute for getting steady footage in-camera, but they can help with removing small wobbles.

The best one I have found is Lock'N'Load from http://www.coremelt.com/ - works with Final Cut Pro, Motion, or After Effects.
  • The flycam for the GH2 seems like it produces some great results.

Just got my GH2 and have been practicing handheld shots, seems very hard to avoid jittery/shaky footage.

What's the cheapest stabiliser you guys would recommend for the GH2?

p.s. It seems in built stabiliser doesn't work - maybe because I'm using Nikon lenses with a mount.
  • I use wondlan ares:

works great
  • @Vitaly - Pretty good price, do you have any results using that steadicam in conjunction with GH2?

@feha - How much was Wondlan Ares 2? Anymore than $200, then it's out of the budget for me
  • I bought a Glidecam HD1000 for my GH2 and it works great. The GH2 is almost too light for it. (Even with the 7-14mm lens!)
  • >Pretty good price, do you have any results using that steadicam in conjunction with GH2?

Nope, all I see is good construction and good adjustable base plate.
    My steadicams have not good base plates, so I use slider usually, and they use offset design that strain your hand quite fast, so this is why I offered this link.
  • @APXmusic
    You mean Glidecam :-)
  • @Donnie88
    Wondlan Ares2 costs about $310 USD ...
  • @Vitaly - Ah right, will look into your recommendation, cheers.

@feha - Damn, that's out of the question for me. The flycam Nano seems to be really good for it's price.
  • @Donnie88
    I had flycam nano and got tired spending every time a 30 minutes (8 bolts) on balancing (sold ...)
    than bought W Ares, it takes max 5 minutes to balance ...
  • I have been playing with a merlin and steadicam pilot. Taking me a long time to get them working. I can use the pilot, but the merlin is still hit and miss. I'm guessing it's because it's much harder to get proper balance. I"m probably going to sell the merlin and look at something else for a hand held. I had an old glidecam before they had the better macro adjustment and will probably tgry them again for hand held.

With the pilot, I added a 3 lb platter under my quick realease to add weight for the gh2. Works nice now.
  • Yes Vitaliy. Sorry. It was very late and i had too much vodka. heh.