Personal View site logo
Canon 5D Mark III topic
  • 240 Replies sorted by
  • It seems crazy to me that they're going to do away with FF in that model. I'll believe it when I see it.

• @010101

All this sounds too weird. As video quality can't be as C300 due to different sensors and overall different design.

• In an unofficial conversation with a Canon's sales guy I was told the next 5D will be a " 7D on steroids ". Yes, no more full frame chip and two digic-V processors instead of digic-IV. Same HDMI as 7D and same weather sealed body. Video quality will be the same as C300 and this would sum up the 2012 upgrade. Sorry for bringing the rain to this parade. Apparently they are doing what they can to boost the sales of C300 that has been " very soft " to this point. This sales guy is a HDSLR shooter and he is very unhappy with the news himself. He goes to the point of saying Canon decided to rush this out to put an end to all the false hopes there is out there for the NEXT-5D in order to raise the main attention to C300.

• I was at an Adobe event yesterday and the skinny I heard was that besides the 5DM3, Canon will release another body, maybe a baby C300, at NAB. If the 5DM3 doesn't have clean HDMI out, then this rumor probably has legs.

• I'll wager it will be $3,299. No big improvement at all. Mainly AF Oedipax.

• I doubt that we'll see big improvement.
    As I think that both Canon MKIII and D800 had been scheduled to release long time ago.

• So what advances will we see in the 5DmkIII image from a stills perspective since the resolution isn't increasing? Increased latitude, better low-light, fancier auto-focus? I'm happy they're not playing the megapixel game, by the way, just curious what areas in which we can expect a big improvement.

• Preliminary specs:

• 22mp sensor
    • 61pt AF
    • 100% VF
    • 3.2″ LCD (I think something in 1Mp region)
    • Dual CF/SD Card Slots
    • Around $3500 USD (I think, real announced price will be around $2799 fo body)
    • Announcement on February 27 or 28, 2012
  • @Griffin

This is not D800 vx Mark II topic, especially if no one saw D800 HDMI output footage.

• Nikon d800 + atomos ninja = flawless hassle free film making

• Of course 5D Mk III since Nikon just announced D800 :)

• Whatever is going to be people will love it. New shiny camera that I've been waiting for a long time.

• Interesting to see if any peaking or exposure aids end up in the firmware and also looking forward to proper sound monitoring - basically ML already built in :)

• So we'll have clean HDMI out feed. 1080p (I don't think they will go up for 2K or 4K). Improved compression. Intra-codec as an option. Most probably 60 progressive frames per second in 1080p. 20-22mpx sensor (I don't think it will go higher with MkIII like the new Nikon..). New and faster image processor. I guess 6-8fps stills. All for 2.800-3000 USD$.

.. or maybe not :-)

• Hopefully they have figured out the soft video issue after this amount of time. This camera needed to be released last year to get ahead of the game like the MKII was.