Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Canon 5D Mark III topic
  • 240 Replies sorted by
  • Hi my dears.... I step in. Sorry for my bad english, I'm Italian, I hope the message will arrive nonetheless. I was really waiting for the 5D3, like a lot of us. I'm an hybrid photographer, interaction, video and still. Together. I dedicated last 14 years to develop and push further panoramic interactive pictures, so my needs for a camera are peculiar and narrowed. So that my biggest blessing were always the HACKS, needed to transform a camera in a "special" tool. I own Nikon, Canon, FF and APSC, Sony, Panasonic and Olympus... I did serious paid jobs with hacked Canon compact cameras! In a FF hybrid I'd love to have as many GOOD pixel I can get, the best dynamic possible, the best results possible between iso 100 and 800, an usable 1600-3200, the best, cleanest and usable video out. On axis tripod socket, full tethering and small size are NOT an option. I will need to touch, try and stress 5D3 to know what it is good for, as well as D800 and D800E. From the paper the D800 wins, no match. But if it is true the moire in video is so bad, and if it is so even in the "clean" hdmi... well, no way. Today a 5D2 with magic lantern hack IS a a wonderful tool!!! Will it still be better than 5D3? And GH2 with hack is the right complement, being more videocamera and less moviecamera, filling different gaps and situations. So.. let's relax and WAIT for the results, for the v.1.1 firmwares, for the field tests we will do.

Knowing the video world, C300, Panny AF101, and Sony NEX V20 - CineAlta have their own place that will never be taken. they are thought to be video cameras only, they adress all video concern, they can be handheld and operated in a video-recording environment without all the rigs, addons and stuff, they have the right manual knobs in the right places. The main trigger shoots a video, and not a picture. Our Vdslr perfectly fit and match some specific needs and places, they develope their unique language, they have to be intended for what they are.

Peace&Love. Luca.

• @ Jason

no need for personal attacks like a 4yo, we´re simply talking about a camera.

As for me I use 5DII,D3X,GH2 (own those) all with removed AA filter, and ll the PhaseOne Backs (rental). The strategy Canon shows at this point is worse than what Panasonic did back then with the GH2. An image of a tool gets formed way before a product launch.If You screw up there, it´s way tougher to come back.

• @trayloader I plan to remove gh2 aa filter . can you tell me something about aliasing and moire in video . is there too much of them or is hd usable . can u post some snapshots from video . i saw pictures from gh1 with aa removed and they are magnificent . thanks

• @vladnik @trayloader

I suggest to make separate topic about Cameras with removed AA filter.

• sorry i didn't mean to hijack topic. all i need is one information.not enough to start new .

• The test I always make myself are high contrast setups, with large dark areas, and very fine detail and grain. Fruit and rouded objects, fine texturized textiles or wood. In one picture says it all. Unfortunately letsgodigital test is not the best they could set up... When noise looks like film grain it is really helping in printing larger files. When nosie kills dark areas it is BAD..

• Thanks for the new picture link Vitaly- this alone seals my decision to move on to Nikon. Dunno if those are JPGs straight outta cam (guess so) or developed raws (would be worst case scenario).

The pictures are blurry (look at the fisherman leaning on the pole-ISO 100) and totally lack microcontrast. My 8 year old EOS 1Ds has much better JPGs, so definitely a step backwards.

Either noise reduction in cam too high (scared of the pattern discussion of the 5DII), or brutal aliasing filter (for video optimized maybe?).

Flesh tones are also much too red.

opinions?

• @trayloader, I wouldn't put so much stock in a few random web test shots of unknown origin/processing to determine whether to change camera systems. If it's really a step back in image quality it will be a big story, but I'd say it's still too early to tell.

• RAW wise, I´m shure it will be a bit better than the current 5DII, but the JPGs are no progress. I saw more than 10 pictures, plus my eyes are trained, be sure of that.

• @Trayloader

It may be using a pre-production version, but I think you get a much better reference of the 5DMkII vs 5DMkIII by using the comparison earlier linked to for Imaging-Resource.

Same scene, same ISOs, etc.

5DMarkII http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E5D2/E5D2THMB.HTM

5DMarkIII http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-5d-mkiii/canon-5d-mkiiiTHMB.HTM

• thanks for the RAW links- that´s a 5% improvement, hi ISO maybe 10%.

Ridiculous. Either lazy/greedy, earthquake aftermath, or they hit severe technical wall....

• @trayloader - your negativity is becoming tiresome. We get it - you won't be buying one.

• @mrbill sorry but I'm too not so entranced about canons muddling along ( btw not only canon)...

• Eaven i love my GH2, Canon make one thing right. Body of canon cams like 7D and 5D is awesome. Well shield and not so palstic like in GH2.

• Anybody knows if the 5D mk3 has UHS-I support? hahahahahaha

• @Luc

First post, spec sheet, SDXC only. But UDMA capable CompactFlash can be very fast.

• I've had my EOS5 Mk III for 4 days now. Getting round to switching off all the automation and getting close to good results.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63040616@N03/sets/72157629645200453/

These were in very dull conditions -- have some better from this evening, will sort and get them up sometime.

Will be doing some video tests later this week.

• Hahahahaha have you got it too Vitaliyyyy :)

• It is comical seeing the Canon Pr in action lately. On one side the Fanboys convincing themself and others that the sharpness is better by using all type of sharpening vs not sharpen video from other cameras. An on the other, some well known blogger backtracking from there original thoughts. I would like to see those sharpness applied to the human face and beings, I can guarantee you that it will be ugly. It is easy to saturate or sharpen landscape, but try to do it to human beings.

• Bloom is pouring coolaid for the world on this. I wounder if he got a earfull from Canon and B&H with his first comments then BOOM He posts that the MK3 is great if you add sharpening in post. I pissed him off with my response in his vimeo post which I did not say he was sponsored to do the review on the MK3 but that he does have sponsors to keep happy and perhaps this was the reason for the great image you can now get if you sharpen it in post. Wow what a poor excuse. I was about to line up for a MK3 but not after what I have seen the last few days. Unless I can get a glass of that coolaid I'm stuck in the real world.

• @danyyyel @rigs

Let's not to make it into anti 5DMkIII topic :-) I am sure that it is very good camera. They have troubles with sensor reading and rescaling, but I doubt that this is an error. More probable is that full frame sensor still can't fully sustain full readout.
    Nikon seems better, so we hope that Sony will be also very good.

And in photo all this cameras are amazing.

• Yes, I am hopping getting my d800 next month for my photography. Everything in terms of video will be a plus for me. For now in terms of low light, jello (seems very good) and DR it seems a step above the gh2. Unfortunately you can still see some aliasing and moire, but it is still seem much better than the previous Canon. What is sad is that this camera beyond any fanboism etc. seems to be at least on par to the 5dmark3 and is receiving 1/4 the coverage. Lets hope the competition is high so that Panasonic won't be able just to sit on the gh3 spec.

• Full frame for video does have its fair share of goodness even tho its upscaled 720p. But buying it for video is absurd at the moment unless you simply shoot low light. I hope Canon would reconsider and release a magic firmware update that simply unleashes this beast, they cant be beaten by freaking Nikon that knows nothing about video. I'm still buying a 5D3 when i can get my hands on it since its a awesome stills camera. Changing to Nikon would have cost me too much. I'm sure i will be pleased.