Personal View site logo
How to remove problems in recorded sound
  • Forgive me if this is the wrong category (or forum) to ask but I'm looking for a sound engineer to fix an audio track I have. I can't really explain it but there was a problem with my microphone while recording from GH2 (no monitoring). It's audible but I suppose the frequency is way off, so it sounds like there's a lot of reverb? So I'm seeking for someone who is familiar with audio software to help me fix it or at least mask the problem. The problem is consistent throughout the interview (about 3:30 mins) so one solution will do. I really have no clue about fixing audio and there's no one to help me where I am. If you're interested please PM me and we can negotiate. Thanks!

• 34 Replies sorted by
  • @griplimited Word! Does anybody want me to post a comparison vid comparing my shabby unprofessionalism and Mr Moore's audio magic? The girl is cute after all

• Top notch people in here.

• Yes, I tried it both ways and the lower notch was better, a good example that the ear has the final say as opposed to theory.

• @DrDave The 125 Hz point is the approximate peak of a rather broad boost I gave to that general region. Again, this makes sense only in the context of this particular recording. By boosting that area I also boosted the lower frequencies of the ambient noises. That increased the overall impression of the woman’s voice having more fullness.

In a sense this is pure trickery—I’m tricking the ear and brain of the listener into perceiving the spectrum of the sound in such a way that the voice of the woman being interviewed sounds—if not “normal”—than at least pleasant, and not causing listening fatigue.

Both you and @soundgh2 are right—the idea was to make it sound good (or at least better), and I’m glad that you and Ed (I hope) liked it.

• Indeed sir and as Ted Fletcher said - if it sounds nice it is - paraphrased!

• I will try the two EQ notches--I did the roll off only. Tx. I would not have guessed 125 Hz since female voice only extends to 220 (unless you are a "tenor") but the results sound good and that is what matters!

• Vitaly's online audio service I like it :)

Been removing massive crunchy machines all day in the mix Im doing, as basically it's all about, well big noisy machines - challenging but fun :)

The reductions of productin budgets do mean more and more audio comes back into post recorded by anyone who happened to be there lol, so the results are varying! Of course we have no extra time to mix, but the tools mentioned above do help.

• @DrDave I’m for hire, if anyone’s interested. ;)

Here’s what I did. (The following pertains to the original audio of the entire interview that Ed sent me—not the snipped I uploaded earlier—although the approach was essentially the same).

First, I manually removed mic handling noises as well as some other intermittent sounds along with some low frequency bursts after plosives. I mostly worked with the spectrogram using the waveform only for reference.

Finally, I EQed the cleaned up audio: cut everything below 50 Hz, made a boost around 125 Hz to compensate for the lost lows, and made a dip at around 1.1 kHz. Then I made a few more surgical adjustments enhancing some frequencies for clarity and attenuating the most annoying ones.

I didn’t apply any compression, as that is something Ed should do according to his taste (and production requirements).

Don’t take this particular workflow as a template, though. Every cleanup job is unique and requires slightly (and, occasionally, drastically) different approaches.

• @Mr_Moore if you don't mind sharing part of your work flow I would be interested in how you warmed the vocal up, since that's something we all have to do from time to time.

• THANKS ALL! @DrDave @Mark_the_Harp @soundgh2 I really appreciate you've given the time and effort. This generous help (and offers to help) has renewed my faith in online humanity :) I have indeed went with @Mr_Moore 's attempt and he's transferred me the whole track I needed to work with. So thanks again.

• Nice job @DrDave - you're more patient than I am. I like your music recordings by the way.

• I recommend running a few passes so that in places where the noise overlaps--clunk+spike+frizz, you can fine tune the results. However, I recommend you go with @Mr_Moore unless something better turns up. I boosted the contrast slightly in the Vid as well just for fun. The big difference for me is taking out the handling noise. And here, unfortunately a lot of that noise is in the speech band. But you can see that most of it can be disappeared. I also tried deleting one channel and going with dual mono--which solves the phase problem as well--and I thought that sounded OK. The version above is the stereo version.

• Hi all, I had a go too. I agree about the phase etc. I did the phase reverse / expand / EQ thing and it sounds a bit better and I'm sure if someone has time and it's important, I'm sure it's rescuable. I'm sure we've all done the thing where the sound "looks" OK on a meter and it turns out not to have been - and not always easy in noisy environments if you don't have good monitoring that's isolated from the surroundings. Like ed_lee83 says, will be fab once you have a better cable and less handling noise, as these things are a lot easier to get right than to correct afterwards. Still - fun to have a challenge!

• Changed phase and de-clunked, removed one big spike and some frizz. Password is audio I prefer the sound of @Mr_Moore--it is warmer! Some of the noise is now "lower", but it is still warmer. Excellent work! I did take the spike out, but I'm sure he could do that.

• So what I am hearing is ambient noise from the room and handling noise--someone touching the mic. Since the sound is one source with no bass the phase does not bother me. I'll take one whack. Back in a few. Edit: Phase does make a difference--I guess because the background voices are so strong and different side to side.

• @soundgh2 It's entirely my fault. I shouldn't have used that cable in the first place. It was actually a shutter release extension cable that I thought would do the same job for audio. I mean, the levels on the GH2 screen were responding so I thought it was good to go (and I was in a rush). But now I've ordered that SESCOM cable that will allow me to monitor my audio from now on. Lesson learned... thanks again everybody.

• Mr Moore is indeed correct - sounds like a cable problem affecting the phase of the stereo (and the clunking from the handling) Try a neoprene type cable if your talent is going to be handling the mic - helps a bit - looks v nice tho :)

• @Mr_Moore Good stuff!! That is very acceptable! I'll have some background music so it'll mask it a bit.

• Ive got a few goodies to denoise that work with varying results - CEDAR, Waves WNS Z Noise X Noise etc, Izotope Rx, Sonic NoNoise, Sonnox among others - they all have their uses in different areas, RX is a good all rounder if you want a fairly cheap bundle that does most things adequately - or get it right at source. :) much cheaper hehe The Soundtrack denoiser is actually not bad as its free and simple to use.

• @ed_lee83 The biggest problem is the reversed phase in one of the channels. Effectively, it cancels out the signal from the other channel when played back in stereo. Looks like mic cable wasn’t plugged in all the way. As a result, you lost a great deal of mids and lows.

I weaved a little bit of my magic over it. Take a listen and tell me if the result sounds satisfactory.

sample_fixed.zip
  • @DrDave Oh right right, sorry, I forgot about that. Of course that would be cool. Here's a sample footage I uploaded:

Pass: audio

It's in Chinese but you don't need to understand it. Of course I'd be very grateful for anyone willing to spend time to listen to it. I use FCP 7.0 and Soundtrack Pro. So I don't know if it's more feasible to actually send the entire audio track or someone show me what to do with FCP or Soundtrack Pro. Thanks in advance!

• I have no objection to someone else doing this, but I think it would be cool to have four or five people upload different samples so ppl could see how the different techniques work. OTOH I'm wayyyyy behind on Grey's Anatomy......I think CEDAR would come out on top, so I would be happy to try Spectral Analysis

• Thanks all, I'm liaising with a few peeps here now. Thanks again for the interest and feedback!

• I've asked Ed enough questions about Lomos to do him a free rinse and polish :)

• @ed_lee83 I reccomend taking @SoundGH2 and @DrDave up on their offers. From their contributions in earlier discussion it's been easy to infer that they have the tools, ears and experience to know how to handle this professionally in a way that would go beyond the "extended trial and error" approach it sounds like you'll have to take.

It should also go without saying that will go much further than downloading any plug-in alone could do. :)