Personal View site logo
How to remove problems in recorded sound
  • 34 Replies sorted by
  • @Mr_Moore if you don't mind sharing part of your work flow I would be interested in how you warmed the vocal up, since that's something we all have to do from time to time.

• @DrDave I’m for hire, if anyone’s interested. ;)

Here’s what I did. (The following pertains to the original audio of the entire interview that Ed sent me—not the snipped I uploaded earlier—although the approach was essentially the same).

First, I manually removed mic handling noises as well as some other intermittent sounds along with some low frequency bursts after plosives. I mostly worked with the spectrogram using the waveform only for reference.

Finally, I EQed the cleaned up audio: cut everything below 50 Hz, made a boost around 125 Hz to compensate for the lost lows, and made a dip at around 1.1 kHz. Then I made a few more surgical adjustments enhancing some frequencies for clarity and attenuating the most annoying ones.

I didn’t apply any compression, as that is something Ed should do according to his taste (and production requirements).

Don’t take this particular workflow as a template, though. Every cleanup job is unique and requires slightly (and, occasionally, drastically) different approaches.

• Vitaly's online audio service I like it :)

Been removing massive crunchy machines all day in the mix Im doing, as basically it's all about, well big noisy machines - challenging but fun :)

The reductions of productin budgets do mean more and more audio comes back into post recorded by anyone who happened to be there lol, so the results are varying! Of course we have no extra time to mix, but the tools mentioned above do help.

• I will try the two EQ notches--I did the roll off only. Tx. I would not have guessed 125 Hz since female voice only extends to 220 (unless you are a "tenor") but the results sound good and that is what matters!

• Indeed sir and as Ted Fletcher said - if it sounds nice it is - paraphrased!

• @DrDave The 125 Hz point is the approximate peak of a rather broad boost I gave to that general region. Again, this makes sense only in the context of this particular recording. By boosting that area I also boosted the lower frequencies of the ambient noises. That increased the overall impression of the woman’s voice having more fullness.

In a sense this is pure trickery—I’m tricking the ear and brain of the listener into perceiving the spectrum of the sound in such a way that the voice of the woman being interviewed sounds—if not “normal”—than at least pleasant, and not causing listening fatigue.

Both you and @soundgh2 are right—the idea was to make it sound good (or at least better), and I’m glad that you and Ed (I hope) liked it.

• Yes, I tried it both ways and the lower notch was better, a good example that the ear has the final say as opposed to theory.

• Top notch people in here.

• @griplimited Word! Does anybody want me to post a comparison vid comparing my shabby unprofessionalism and Mr Moore's audio magic? The girl is cute after all