Personal View site logo
Panasonic upcoming fast zooms topic
  • 77 Replies sorted by
  • I guess constant f-number.

The photo has it. 12-35X has pretty big front glass.

• This is more like it. About time we had a bit of speed, 2.8 is a good start.

• I'm excited about the 12-35X f2.8. It's just the kind of lens I'd be looking for, for most of my general purpose stuff. Can't wait to see this hit the market.

• I don't get why it's only 2.8... personally.

Not with Olympus' two super zooms havin' been out for a while. 14-35/2 and 35-100/2 ...perhaps just for the size to quality ratio?

• If I'd consider buying a zoom, then 2.8 would propably not be fast enough IMO. For concerts and events, it would force me to crank up ISO too high..

So 2.8 is slightly underwhelming.

It's certainly more interesting than the 14-45 X lens though.

• I'm guessing these lenses won't have lever controls for zoom and focus? It's kind of a shame.

I was hoping for a lens like the 14-42X with a constant f-number.

• They have mega OIS so thats nice :-) Will get these lenses for sure!

• It should be thrown in with the body in future! The 14-140mm is overrated and is only useful for daylight.

• I guess the OIS is nice. 2.8 is horribly slow but could be useful with new sensors in the future.

And the size of the lenses will be good for remaining compact. I could see using bothn in daylight shooting often.

• I'm not too happy with the OIS from panasonic lenses so far.. When it gets a bit bumpy it has this wierd effect, almost like strobing movement, which I don't like. It doesn't work at all when walking around. IMO.

• Meh, I can work around the 2.8, but with a fixed barrel, I'll be tempted.

• @RRRR I experience the same issues with Panasonic OIS.

• For me the OIS function looks like it was designed for stills and not for video. When you start panning slowly it will first try to keep position and then suddenly realize that this move was intended and follow in a sudden manner. Not nice. But in fact you can still run a software stabilisation afterwards, so OIS takes care that you don´t induce motion blur by unintentional shaking and software makes sure your pans are smooth as butter. Will try to upload an example.

I also had the feeling that the OIS works better in the 14-140 than on the 14-42.

• I'm very happy with the OIS of the 14-140. If I need slow pans, I always turn it off. But for hand held stuff on the long end it is almost a tripod!

• Seriously 2.8 all the way through is not slow. You mad nutters.

Panny OIS is good, both for stills and video, but you do know when to have it in mode 1 or 2.

• Does this have a built in servo zoom or not?

I think I will stick to fully manual primes if not. Just like a zoom run and gun lens and a servo zoom when need be. (which isn't often).

• These are supposed to have manual zoom rings.

• Amazing, i will need to save for these new lenses ...

• It doesn't need to be anywhere near 77mm. The 17-69mm f/1.9 Meteor lens has a 77mm thread (16mm lens).

f/2.8 isn't fast for smaller formats, where the lens is a lot closer to the image plane, and much smaller circle of coverage than 35mm.

Focus by wire would be a deal breaker imho.

Manual zoom and focus capability, and then I'd be keen.

• The aperture itself isn’t the only factor that determines the amount of light that gets through to the sensor. The design, the glass quality, and the lens coating will each play a significant role, too.

All in all, ƒ2.8 all the way through is miles ahead of ƒ4–5.8 on the 14–140mm lens (which only stays at ƒ4 in the 14–18mm range, anyway).

• In layman's term, 2.8 lens gives same exposure reading regardless of crop factor... in theory. So they are as fast as Canon's 2.8 zooms. But they look kinda small. I was expecting at least 62mm filter thread. More lens distortion correction will require much edge sharpening. Let's wait and see.

• A zoom lens's light transmission is generally in the 70-90% range. The f-number is by far the largest factor determining the brightness of a lens's image.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1030&message=33785655

• Any chance it`s gonna be parfocal?

• @el3nd1l

Funny thing is that almost any lenses with electronic focusing can be made parfocal. But they'll keep breathing.

• any slight idea of when it will be finally released?