Personal View site logo
How to remove problems in recorded sound
  • Forgive me if this is the wrong category (or forum) to ask but I'm looking for a sound engineer to fix an audio track I have. I can't really explain it but there was a problem with my microphone while recording from GH2 (no monitoring). It's audible but I suppose the frequency is way off, so it sounds like there's a lot of reverb? So I'm seeking for someone who is familiar with audio software to help me fix it or at least mask the problem. The problem is consistent throughout the interview (about 3:30 mins) so one solution will do. I really have no clue about fixing audio and there's no one to help me where I am. If you're interested please PM me and we can negotiate. Thanks!

• 34 Replies sorted by
  • Moved to marketplace.

I also strongly advise to describe problem in title. Like "help me fix ... "

• Yup, I'm actually a sound guy (location and studio) first, and relatively got into this stuff recently.

I don't really follow what you said though, the frequency is off so there's a lot of reverb?

If there's a lot of reverb, there's not much you can do and still have it sound natural. You can maybe try a noise gate with a good ambience track, or you may be able to try automating the volume level ("riding the fader" as they used to say). But it's hard to say without having heard it.

If it's an Frequency problem, then there may be a way to EQ those particular frequncies out, or use some kind of RX plug-in solution.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev cheers

@kingmixer OK I think I bullshitted with the reverb :) It's likely a frequency problem. I have been actually dabbling with the EQ in FCP but I'm just randomly pushing knobs. I'll keep experimenting thanks

• post a short, raw (pcm or wav pcm) sample that we can download on dropbox or something similar. If it is "in cam" audio" do not convert it to to wav, just upload a piece of the compressed audio. Do not render the audio in any way with gain, EQ, etc. Ideally, use a file chopper or wav splitter to split off a chunk OF THE ORIGINAL (save the original, DOH!) and upload that. If it is an annoying noise it can be removed using spectral analysis like Renovator or Cedar. You are probably looking at one to two hours of DAW time if it is removable, and it takes two minutes to see if it can be removed. In fact, it might be fun to post a short sample and have different ppl take a whack at it using the different programs available. I volunteer one whack.

• @DrDave

Good MP3 is always enough to indicate main problems.

• Of course, but if I take the time to run a sample through Spectral I don't want a sample that has been gooped up.

• Quite a booming business now in the cell phone ring tone removal specialty. I have not been to concert or even that did not have phones ringing in the last two years. Cell phone has now moved right on by "bus" "honk" and "ambulance". Interestingly, the honk is usually removable, because those who honk are not moving fast enough, ergo, no doppler.

• Throw it over Ed I have CEDAR and Revcon etc - will prob be able to help

• @ed_lee83 I reccomend taking @SoundGH2 and @DrDave up on their offers. From their contributions in earlier discussion it's been easy to infer that they have the tools, ears and experience to know how to handle this professionally in a way that would go beyond the "extended trial and error" approach it sounds like you'll have to take.

It should also go without saying that will go much further than downloading any plug-in alone could do. :)

• I've asked Ed enough questions about Lomos to do him a free rinse and polish :)

• Thanks all, I'm liaising with a few peeps here now. Thanks again for the interest and feedback!

• I have no objection to someone else doing this, but I think it would be cool to have four or five people upload different samples so ppl could see how the different techniques work. OTOH I'm wayyyyy behind on Grey's Anatomy......I think CEDAR would come out on top, so I would be happy to try Spectral Analysis

• @DrDave Oh right right, sorry, I forgot about that. Of course that would be cool. Here's a sample footage I uploaded:

Pass: audio

It's in Chinese but you don't need to understand it. Of course I'd be very grateful for anyone willing to spend time to listen to it. I use FCP 7.0 and Soundtrack Pro. So I don't know if it's more feasible to actually send the entire audio track or someone show me what to do with FCP or Soundtrack Pro. Thanks in advance!

• @ed_lee83 The biggest problem is the reversed phase in one of the channels. Effectively, it cancels out the signal from the other channel when played back in stereo. Looks like mic cable wasn’t plugged in all the way. As a result, you lost a great deal of mids and lows.

I weaved a little bit of my magic over it. Take a listen and tell me if the result sounds satisfactory.

sample_fixed.zip
  • Ive got a few goodies to denoise that work with varying results - CEDAR, Waves WNS Z Noise X Noise etc, Izotope Rx, Sonic NoNoise, Sonnox among others - they all have their uses in different areas, RX is a good all rounder if you want a fairly cheap bundle that does most things adequately - or get it right at source. :) much cheaper hehe The Soundtrack denoiser is actually not bad as its free and simple to use.

• @Mr_Moore Good stuff!! That is very acceptable! I'll have some background music so it'll mask it a bit.

• Mr Moore is indeed correct - sounds like a cable problem affecting the phase of the stereo (and the clunking from the handling) Try a neoprene type cable if your talent is going to be handling the mic - helps a bit - looks v nice tho :)

• @soundgh2 It's entirely my fault. I shouldn't have used that cable in the first place. It was actually a shutter release extension cable that I thought would do the same job for audio. I mean, the levels on the GH2 screen were responding so I thought it was good to go (and I was in a rush). But now I've ordered that SESCOM cable that will allow me to monitor my audio from now on. Lesson learned... thanks again everybody.

• So what I am hearing is ambient noise from the room and handling noise--someone touching the mic. Since the sound is one source with no bass the phase does not bother me. I'll take one whack. Back in a few. Edit: Phase does make a difference--I guess because the background voices are so strong and different side to side.

• Changed phase and de-clunked, removed one big spike and some frizz. Password is audio I prefer the sound of @Mr_Moore--it is warmer! Some of the noise is now "lower", but it is still warmer. Excellent work! I did take the spike out, but I'm sure he could do that.

• Hi all, I had a go too. I agree about the phase etc. I did the phase reverse / expand / EQ thing and it sounds a bit better and I'm sure if someone has time and it's important, I'm sure it's rescuable. I'm sure we've all done the thing where the sound "looks" OK on a meter and it turns out not to have been - and not always easy in noisy environments if you don't have good monitoring that's isolated from the surroundings. Like ed_lee83 says, will be fab once you have a better cable and less handling noise, as these things are a lot easier to get right than to correct afterwards. Still - fun to have a challenge!

• I recommend running a few passes so that in places where the noise overlaps--clunk+spike+frizz, you can fine tune the results. However, I recommend you go with @Mr_Moore unless something better turns up. I boosted the contrast slightly in the Vid as well just for fun. The big difference for me is taking out the handling noise. And here, unfortunately a lot of that noise is in the speech band. But you can see that most of it can be disappeared. I also tried deleting one channel and going with dual mono--which solves the phase problem as well--and I thought that sounded OK. The version above is the stereo version.

• Nice job @DrDave - you're more patient than I am. I like your music recordings by the way.

• THANKS ALL! @DrDave @Mark_the_Harp @soundgh2 I really appreciate you've given the time and effort. This generous help (and offers to help) has renewed my faith in online humanity :) I have indeed went with @Mr_Moore 's attempt and he's transferred me the whole track I needed to work with. So thanks again.