Personal View site logo
Dynamic range test between GH2 and 7D
  • 84 Replies sorted by
  • @danyyyel , I think people are very interested in what the dr really is. Good work.
  • @CineHackDW176 Thanks

@Kholi , Thanks I hope it helps, by the number of reply it does not seem that interesting for personalview viewers ;-) perhaps if I did some random test and my name was a bit famous, it would have gathered more interest. Joking aside, it is very important to me. I am gasping a bit more what is in the raw material of the gh2 and how you can use/push/manipulate it. I did further test last night to evaluate the actual DR value of the scene. Will post below.
  • Good stuff, @danyyyel and thanks for taking the time to do it and share.

Having been jumping between 5D, GH2 and RED recently I'd say this is pretty much about the same thing I've noticed. I dont' even like Cinestyle anymore, as grading it is a pain in the butt.

And man is the 7D soft... ugh.
  • You have the $ 50 5dtorgb batch but only for mac for now. So I can't use it as I am on PC.
  • is there a way to do multiple clips through 5DtoRGB?
  • its all good. Great Work!
  • Ah sorry forgot to say it was smooth and everything at -2.
  • what setting did you have the Gh2? I know Smooth and Nostalgic have a flatter more dynamic range. I use those.
  • So first impression is that the Canon 7d is flatter and so better Dr, but the Cinestyle more so is already quite noisy. But look at the highlight in the background!!! So I used a curve simulation from the orriginal mts to match the cinestyle (mainly in the shadows) because it is difficult to match the highlight because the two camera curve are very different. But to the eye they match very well for luminosity because colours are quite different.

Another thing to note, is that the cinestyle does raise the black level a lot. The Marvel does not or only a little. Is it a good or bad thing, so say that it put the shadow above the compression level so preserve them, others say that they compress the info in an already low 8bit tonal range and thus create more banding.

The highlight seems to better in the gh2 case, there are more gradiation it seems even a little bit more banding.
    orriginal driftwood mts curve simulation cinestyle.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    histogram gh2.jpg
    1300 x 791 - 314K
    histogram cynestyle 7d.jpg
    1300 x 791 - 266K