Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Dynamic range test between GH2 and 7D
  • 84 Replies sorted by
  • @bwhitz - a camera with three 1920x1080 sensors can easily resolve a 1000 tvl picture when shooting HD format. That's why the XF300 can do it, as well as the EX3, HPX250, PMW350, HPX3100, and a bunch of other full-raster 1080p camcorders. The GH2 cannot. I posted a sample in the other thread that clearly demonstrated that the XF300 can resolve more detail than the GH2. If you can't see the difference, it's because you're choosing not to; it's very clear. I estimated the GH2 at approx 800 TVL based on how it compared to the XF300 and what i know about that camera's resolving power - i.e. over 1000 TVL. Contrary to what you might believe you know about me, I would love for the GH2 to be able to resolve 1000 TVL. But it doesn't. You're the only person i've ever come across that says that it does. But your claims aren't supported by any other available test here or any other forum or website, and it's not supported by my own test. This isn't a conspiracy, it's just quantifiable data. If you're in LA, i'd be happy to meet up and test with you so you don't keep going on about every forum member on every camera site being a bunch of old sour grapes trying to protect old camcorder investments. You know that's not the case, and if you really believe it... Well, there's no sense in trying to convince you otherwise. But here's an idea - if you want to prove everyone wrong, then just shoot a test chart! Show us that HD video from a GH2 can resolve more than 1000 TVL! I want to believe, i really do - but the funny thing about faith is that it doesn't make facts any less true.
  • Have you seen the recent EX3 and GH2 comparison? I don't care about resolution, but since i saw much more detail in the GH2 footage than in the EX3, regardless of how you calculate the resolution, i need to tell you that something in your test is probably flawed. Unless that comparison used one very soft lens for the EX3 footage.
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1769/gh2-vs-ex3-stills...-#Item_15
  • @johnnym - yes i saw that. That's what got me curious, and that's where i posted my own results. I had good light, low iso, excellent lenses set to sharpest apertures, and a subject with extremely fine detail. I posted my center crop samples along with settings data. Why would you think my test was faulty and not bwhitz's, which was done in bad light, on a scene where there wasn't a lot of very fine detail, and we don't know what the settings were?
  • I haven't seen your test. (Where's the link?) But I'm neither implying bwhitz's test is flawed. I also don't care about resolution, but if you say bwhitz's test didn't have much fine detail, look at the numberplates.
  • @johnnym - My comparison is in the same thread as bwhitz's, a little further down. 1:1 center crop shots of a US $20 bill.

I'm not trying to put an emphasis on resolution here. I just wanted to know how the gh2 performed. I don't care what the numbers are, i'm still dp'ing a feature in January with 2 gh2's. It gives fantastic images regardless of measurements. I just don't think incorrect data should be presented as fact, i.e. that the GH2 is a 1000 TVL camcorder, when the overwhelming majority of independent test results show otherwise.
  • This is why proper test are important and thus what I tried with what I had for the gh2 Dynamic range. I see endless debate about the gh2 resolution. I saw these example below

http://philipbloom.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/4.jpg

http://philipbloom.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/9.jpg

http://philipbloom.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/7.jpg

From the pb test. If people say the C300 is 1000 line so how much would you give the gh2. Factoring the smaller head because of the fOV, I would say very very close. But then all this is subjective. I hope someday somebody does a proper test on a chart. Perhaps one or both of you. Or just try to put both of them in good lighting condition where you can close the shutter and use some sharp lens. For the Gh2 its 14-140 is already very sharp and see the result and publish them with all the details.
  • @danyyyel - i'll have a resolution chart after the holidays, i'll run another test then.
  • This I think is the only test on a chart of the gh2 in a german magazine. I don't know how to interpret the result. If someone can please do.

http://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Test/Panasonic-GH2---der-kompakte-Ueberflieger--Aus-dem-Messlabor.html
  • @cowpunk52 ok, it will settle the argument.
  • @cowpunk52 I can't remember which lens you used, but later in the thread, you posted a comparison between it, and the panasonic 14-45lens, which proved to be a bit sharper.

By the looks of the things, with your test at least, the xf300 would still be sharper, but the gap would've been closed somewhat, had you directly compared the panny lens to the xf300. Hard to say how much, though.
  • Also, was the landscape shot filmed at 1080p on Philip Bloom's page? Because in that instance, the C300 is clearly resolving more detail.
  • @dbp - yes, on the dvxuser thread i did post a camparison between an fd lens and a m4/3 lens. Their was a difference in perceived sharpness going toward the m4/3 lens, but it gave no more resolved detail than the fd lens. Sharpness and resolution are two different qualities, though. The fd lens, having far less contrast, appears less sharp. When a contrast curve is applied to match the m4/3 lens, you see that there's actually no difference in resolved detail. This is all in 1080p24 video mode, of course.
  • bla bla bla
  • @cowpunk52 " I just don't think incorrect data should be presented as fact, i.e. that the GH2 is a 1000 TVL camcorder, when the overwhelming majority of independent test results show otherwise."

What overwhelming test results?

The EX3 is a known and confirmed 1000 line camera... I use it and the GH2 allot. GH2 out resolves it in every situation I've seen. I posted a few. I can post more. EX3 is native 1080p while the GH2 starts at 5k worth of pixels... therefore, more detail ends up making it to the final 1080p image. Oversampling is very common knowledge in the video and audio worlds. Are you just saying that it now only resolves 800 lines when compared to a XF300 or something now? I don't get it? And your also not justifying why the GH2 would not be a 1000 line camera... you're just saying it's not... for no reason. Because it's not shaped like a real "video camera" or something? The Canon DSLRs have a good reason for not making a full 1080p image... like skipping and fast downscaling. But the GH2 doesn't do this. It's a real downscale from a 5k image. It's logical that it would be able to out resolve any native chip.

And your dollar bill test really doesn't show much. Like I said, you need to post some native 1920x1080 stills (not crops) of something like tree's or grass... as boring as it may be. Or something where there is objective detail that can't be argued with... that's why I shot the alley scene... you can either read (to a degree) the license plates, or not. There's no interpretation needed besides that. When you shoot a close up of something, like your dollar bill, the degree of variable change is too high. Even if it did show definitive results, you need to include a few different examples, or maybe something like longer shot of a pile of dollar bills or something.
  • @bwhitz I think you just need to do some side by side test by just shooting some high detail scene, better in low iso because we want to see them at their best (if else someone wouldsay that the iso noise is higher in one or the other. post the result in full 1080p png files. As the chinesse say a picture says more than a thousand words.
  • @cowpunk52

Gotcha, makes sense.
  • "a camera with three 1920x1080 sensors can easily resolve a 1000 tvl picture when shooting HD format. That's why the XF300 can do it, as well as the EX3, HPX250, PMW350, HPX3100, and a bunch of other full-raster 1080p camcorders. "

@cowpunk52 Um....I don't think you are explaining this correctly. None of these cameras have 3 sensors. They have one 3CCD sensor that takes separate readings of red, green, and blue values for each pixel as opposed to a single CCD camera. And...just because a camera is 3CCD does not necessarily mean it can resolve 1000 lines. But...I do believe the EX-1 is rated at 1000 lines. I've read some testemonials in the past (I forgot where) that it resolves better than the EX-3.

As far as the GH-2's resolving power.....I believe it's very close to the Sonys (on paper) but not quite as much. BUT in real world shooting it shows a bit different. I think it all depends on the shooting situation.

I agree with @bwhitz about viewing these DSLRs as like different film stocks. I mean...film is film....but not all film stocks resolve the same...or even look the same. So, why is it that we all get so worked up about DSLRs vs....whatever?

Also, I've seen examples of EX-1/3 footage showing some form of aliasing in the past. So it's not just a CMOS thing (though I understand where it comes from with CMOS cameras). And yeah....even the more expensive CMOS cameras like the Red, F3 etc. all have aliasing. I only bring this up because it seems like people who like to put DLSRs down always use that issue as a way to seperate DSLRs from the "big boys." I also found it funny that those same people never use the GH-Xs in their argument. Fact is these Panasonic cameras do an excellent job in controling that issue.

......what were we talking about again..... Oh yeah....Dynamic Range between GH-2 and 7D. How did we end up here?

• EX3 is a cmos camera and its guts are the same as the EX1 so I don't see how it can be outresolved by the EX1. 800-900 lines was the figure they gave me when I had the EX3.
  • @Ian_T - actually, i am explaining this correctly. All of those cameras have three sensors, and each of those sensors have 1920x1080 photosites. Which is why they are known as 3 chip camcorders with 3 chip sensor blocks. It's really super easy to confirm this: just go to the B&H product page for the Canon XF300. Notice the part in the description where it says that the camera has three native 1920x1080 sensors? Yeah, there ya go. But how can this be? How does such voodoo work? Very simply - In 3CCD or 3MOS camcorders, a beam splitter separates a signal into three different versions of the same image - one showing the level of red light, one showing the level of green light and one showing the level of blue light. Each of these images is captured by its own chip - but each measures the intensity of only one color of light. The camera then overlays these three images and the intensities of the different primary colors blend to produce a full-color image. A camcorder that uses this method is referred to as a three-chip camcorder, and because it doesn't need to do a bayer interpolation like a single sensor has to do, it's typically able to resolve extremely close to it's native resolution. The RED and F3 have aliasing and moire because they are single cmos sensors that have to do a bayer interpolation of their red, green and blue pixels on the sensor. It's impossible for those cameras to produce an image that resolves the sensors native resolution, and so some information is made up, and that's why aliasing is sometimes referred to as 'false detail.' The GH2 has to do a bayer interpolation too (which is why it will also alias and moire given the right detail frequency), then downsample that to a 1080 video signal. However, perhaps due to processor horsepower or encoding algorithm or some other reason, the video resolution is not as good as a proper downsample from the "5k sensor." Anyone can test this very very easily: take a 16MP raw still and a 1080p video of the same high detail subject or scene. Downrez your GH2 raw still image to 1920x1080, then compare it to a video frame grab from the same scene. Post your results.

Also, we ended up here because a question was raised regarding the validity of a resolution chart shot with a GH2 and posted on another forum. One poster here stated that it was not accurate because the chart poster was just trying to protect his $40,000 2/3" camcorder investment. I stated that it was accurate given my similar findings with the GH2's ability to resolve detail in HD video.
  • @Cowpunk52 Yeah, I pretty much understand all of that. I guess I always just looked at it as still one sensor and 3CCD as just a descriptor (differentiating it from Single sensor because of the different way it captures light). But sure... technically it's 3 sensors.

So let me ask you this... can a camera like the Red One...with its higher resolution than even the Alexa etc. resolve more than a "3 Chip" full raster camera? It's a single chip CMOS camera that debayers its image just like any other single chip CMOS camera which tells me it should not be able to do as good as the cameras you mentioned earlier. As a 4K etc. camera I can image it spits out much larger images.....but I'm asking about resolvable detail.

EDIT: I might be able to answer my own question. I'm guessing because it (A Red) spits out a much larger image that alone should give it an advantage. But if we are comparing just a 1920x1080 final image then my original statement could still stand?

Oh and remember I'm not arguing againts your understanding of GH-2 resolving 800+ lines. I've seen that result (or description) elsewhere. It was said to be "close" to the EX-1 but not better or "quite there."
  • @Ian_T yeah, the trick is the downscale. A bayer chip can usually resolve at max about 80% of it's native resolution. If the downscale is done with the proper processing from a suitably oversampled sensor, then it should be able to resolve as much as a native 1080p 3-chip camcorder. But it's very difficult to resolve more than 1000 TVL in the HD format, because there are only 1080 vertical pixels in the frame. Also, downscaling is no simple task - just try and do a straight conversion from HD to SD and see how much aliasing you get! I'm thinking a fair amount of anti-aliasing or blur is applied during the encode process of the GH2's video which results in it's softer than native resolution, but that's pure speculation. In a perfect world we could get a 3-chip S35 sensor block at HD or higher resolution, but that would probably result in a very large camera!
  • Hi, I am very curious about a calculation of DR for gh2. So do we know DR from gh2? It is a pitty zacuto didnt include gh2 in their shootout...Can we reproduce their tests for calculation of DR for gh2?
  • DR for video of course.
  • Assuming you're getting the maximum available range, 7D is measured at 0.4 stops more than the GH2. Both are over 11. Even in RAW still photography, I do not find that it is anywhere near that much 'useful' DR.
  • @magnifico - i'm going to try hard to get a hold of a backlit stoufer chart before i start shooting a feature in January. I would very much like to know this information as well before i get neck deep into production.