Personal View site logo
Canon EOS R5 - Overheating video failure
  • 250 Replies sorted by
  • @Sunscreen

But it is much better done, at least.

R5 issue is not only horrible heatsink, it is whole construction that is wrong and chip is made using wrong process.

All 100% camera companies have huge issues, as they need chips to be made using 5nm process, but they don't have funds for this. It is very expensive. And they can't join forces as each of Japanese top guys have enormous egos.

If 5nm process development and production costs had been same as 45-70nm ones we will already have 8K cameras for $250, huge number of superb compacts and overall camera market being around 5x from present one.

• Interview

About two years after the launch of the EOS R, the EOS R5 and R6, which deserve to be called the second generation, have appeared. It has been highly evaluated by users, and even if you make a reservation from now on, it is difficult to get it by the end of the year. What do you think based on this result?

While I am very happy, I am sorry that it took a long time to deliver the product to the customer due to the great response. Without the problem of the new coronavirus, 2020 was the year of the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics, and I thought that Japan's economy would improve. Therefore, Canon was preparing a new product, but starting with CP +, all domestic and international events were canceled, and I felt frustrated that I couldn't give a presentation as I expected. However, I was just trying not to delay this new product. We have been preparing for the simultaneous announcement on July 9th, but at the beginning of spring we couldn't see the future and were worried at first. As a result, thanks to the efforts of domestic and overseas stakeholders, we were able to announce and launch the product as originally planned when the market conditions were returning a little.

Is Mr. Tokura confident that you can answer what the user has been waiting for?

To be honest, it's as expected (laughs). Anyway, you can't fail. As you can understand from the thoughts put into the naming, since we are releasing the EOS number series, we will put more effort into all related departments, including not only the development team but also the business and production departments. I have the pride that I was. First of all, I am relieved that the result has come out.

As for the EOS R5, the development announcement was announced from a fairly early stage, and the specifications were gradually revealed, but it turned out that there was a secret ball or EOS R6 as a simultaneous announcement. Did you think about launching two models from a long time ago?

Actually, I was thinking from the planning stage, and that was exactly what I wanted to prepare for the customer.

https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/dcm/1277719.html

• Sounds like Kolari Vision will offer a DYI thermal pad & heatsink purchase option. This second test looks promising.

• @Sunscreen

It is just chink of copper, right?

By idea it must be special vapor chamber, as efficiency is much better.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Yes. A slab of precision cut copper, some thermal pads & thermal paste by the looks of it. It's hard to tell. The time lapse portion of the video flies by. I love the sounds of a special vapor chamber!

• More 8K RAW video from the overheating failure viewed on exploitative YouTube:

Shot both in 90-degree (F) bright sun, with no water cooling except for the user.

Edited in the faulty-designed, COVID-infected MacBook Air.

• Lovely color on the flutterbye.
    And the water looks like (drumroll.....) errrr water. Weird. Smooth. Watery. Liquid-like.

• Love the test chart results

• Canon EOS R5 and Sony α1 and IBIS performance comparison

We experienced a 1/3 – 2/3 stop advantage with the Canon camera. That difference is not dramatic, and the bottom line is that IBIS is valuable in both camera brands. This feature adds substantially to the versatility of non-stabilized lenses, such as the 50mm f/1.2 models tested here. IBIS is one more reason to love the latest mirrorless camera models

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=36140

• Canon releases v1.4.0 for the Canon EOS R5

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras/mirrorless/eos-r5?subtab=downloads-firmware

• Adds support for outputting 8K/30p/10-bit video signals for ProRes RAW recording to ATOMOS’s Ninja V+ recorder* via HDMI.
    • Adds support for movie recording when the camera is connected to the CN-E18-80mm T4.4 L IS KAS S or CN-E70-200mm T4.4 L IS KAS S EF cinema lenses.
    • Adds simultaneous movie recording capability on card 1 and card 2, however RAW movies and RAW(Light) movies cannot be recorded simultaneously on card 1 and card 2.
    • Adds support for the VPG 400 (Video Performance Guarantee Profile), a standard based on the CFexpress 2.0 specification.
    • Improves operation stability when using the RF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM and RF 600mm f/4L IS USM.
    • Fixes an issue in which, during HDMI connection, if the camera’s screen turns off, a zebra pattern is displayed via the HDMI output.
    • Fixes an issue in which sufficient image stabilization effects may not be attained immediately after the start of shooting stills

***Internal record temperature threshold increased?!?!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CSwoeVhlBoI/

• Kolari Vision DIY heatsink is available for pre-order purchase at the following link for $299.99 USD: https://kolarivision.com/product/diy-canon-r5-heatsink-overheating-kit/

• Testing the smallest 8K RAW rig - the R5 + Canon RF 50mm f1.8 lens.

• I would go for this cam if it didn't overheat. I wish they made a version with a fan or heatsink, As usual, markr041 is on the cutting edge.

• Firmware Version 1.5.0 incorporates the following fixes and enhancements:

1. Improves head detection performance to support helmets or goggles in winter sports.
    2. Adds [Vehicles] selection to [Subject to detect] selection in the [AF] tab to support the detection of automobiles and motorcycles in motorsports. Adds [Spot detection] when [Vehicles] is selected as the helmet of the driver or rider. Detection may not be possible for ordinary passenger cars or bicycles, or for motorcyclists performing stunts or kicking up dirt and dust.
    3. Improves detection performance for eye detection when:
      • there are shadows on the face.
      • hair is hanging over the eyes.
    4. Adds support for torso detection of a person. If the eyes, face or head are hidden or cannot be detected, a person's torso will be detected and tracked continuously.
    5. Adds the ability to import manual white balance (MWB) data from the Quick Control screen when capturing still images.
    6. Eliminates the center press operation of the multi-controller to prevent accidentally transferring images during FTP transfer.
    7. Adds the ability, when using EOS Utility or Browser Remote for remote shooting with two cards inserted, to set the recording method and to select which card to be recorded to.
    8. Adds [Suppress lower frame rate] to [Smooth] in [Disp. performance], enabling the shooting screen to be displayed with less drop frame rate even in dark locations.
    9. Adds support for the RF 5.2mm F2.8 L Dual Fisheye lens.
    10. Changes the default value of [FTP server] → [Passive mode] to [Enable].
    11. Improves operation stability during FTP transfer.
    12. Optimizes controls of In-Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) when using specific EF lenses not equipped with the image stabilization function.
    13. Fixes an issue, in which noise occurs along the edges of bright subjects when using Canon Log for movie recording.
    14. Firmware Version 1.5.0 is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.4.0. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.5.0, it is not necessary to update the firmware.
    15. The User Manual on our website has been updated accordingly. Please download the User Manual as well as the latest firmware. You can download it from the official website.

Download Firmware

• https://kolarivision.com/r5_cooling_mod-tutorial/

DIY R5 step-by-step cooling modification tutorial

• Well, the R5 actually does not overheat outside in cold temperatures. My pocket 8K RAW rig: the R5 + RF 35mm lens - fits in my parka pocket. And it is very versatile, indoors and outside: