Personal View site logo
Sony Alpha 1, 8K top model with record margins
  • 87 Replies sorted by
  • Some A1 internal private talks info

• A1 is not considered Sony flagship yet by all top management
    • Camera had been conceived by old management part and supported by old time influencers and photo guys
    • Input from video guys existed buy had been minimized as old management does not consider video much important to sales in this segment
    • It had been conflict inside Sony because worst heat performance, smallest and up-down tilted screen prototype had been chosen by top guys. Only reason of choices had been for Sony to again beat their record margin. Best prototype had been around 35-45% more expensive to make, much better copper cooling inside, larger with bigger and fully tiltable screen.
    • Camera can be sold in retail for $1999 and Sony will still get more than 30% margin, now consider the real margin
    • In all major camera companies we have conflict between engineering and software from one side and horrible performing marketing, finance and top management from other side. Second side is not bothered much with falling sales and all they want is to fit small elite niches, because most of them already have nice parachutes and backup warm government jobs waiting for them.
  • I just want to know if it overheats. All the new "watch me in cool place" or "my fake movie" stuff is just BS.

• it is the same old story:

first a new resolution with poor codec and poor subsampling and low fps, then a better codec, then a better subsampling, then more fps, then a new resolution with poor codec and poor subsampling and low fps, then a better codec, then a better subsampling, then more fps, then a new resolution with poor codec and poor subsampling and low fps, then a better codec, then a better subsampling, then more fps, ...

and a new camera for each new step...

how to deal with this old story?

if you have clients for 8k and can make money right now, so buy the camera, if you cannot make money with it right now so wait for a better 8k camera.

if you are a rich and eccentric person who likes to enjoy new technology so buy the camera and a very big 8k tv. you will see the reality much better than it realy is...

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

You may also be right. :)

Anyway, I've watched most FF 4K filmed in the camera with this A1 and it looks very soft IMO (I mean the 30p, not the 120fps). I really don't like the video quality out of this advertises "that can do “everything” camera" especially at it's exorbitant launch price!

• @Eno

Actually LSI most probably never make 422 or 444, as it all it needs is YCbCr and this is that being made, with Cb and Cr planes being kept at the resolution matching the actual sensor color resolution.

It is lot of optimizations of photo and video LSI chips, this one significantly saves energy.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

"This one has some point due to resolution and fact that we have Bayer sensor here."

The A7S3 also features an almost pixel per pixel 4K Bayer sensor and it still offers 4:4:2 chroma sampling. It doesn't matter if it is a pixel per pixel output from a Bayer sensor course the information is demoisaiced thus it has full RGB chroma sampling before encoding, so it can be outputted even in 4:4:4 if the processor or the top management allows it. :)

• @Eno

The internal 8K video is 4:2:0 only

This one has some point due to resolution and fact that we have Bayer sensor here.

• Sony advertises this camera that can do “everything”, BUT:

• It features a small and uncomfortable body that feels even more uncomfortable with bigger lenses,
    • It has small, very poor and low resolution LCD like in 2008,
    • It doesn't over RAW 8K video neither internally or externally,
    • The internal 8K video is 4:2:0 only,
    • Although A1 features downsampling from 8,6K to 8K, Sony didn't offer oversampled 4K (without APSC crop) and FHD (although it could have been easier to process and record vs the 8K, and infinity more useful for videographers). This is a big minus IMO and truly not as advertised: the camera that can do “everything”. Apparently it can't do what most videographers what, very good oversampled 4K and FHD without a crop.

IMO those are some serious limitations especially for the 6500$/7300eu very high price tag.

I could have accepted those compromises in a camera under 4000$, but at 6500$ definitely NOT!

• She looks like a winner - Shout out to Curtis Morgan & his team

• @Jazzroy. Lack of uniformity

• @eno everyone sees things differently (I notice different colour perception between my left and right eyes), but here it is a matter of RGB values: three fram grabs, same environment, same actress, three skin colours ranging from yellow to pink, and none of them seems natural to me. And regarding the dynamic range: two daylight shots with almost black areas, for sure not the best way to showcase it!

skin.jpg
    2559 x 1079 - 458K
    DR.jpg
    2559 x 1079 - 558K
  • Every footage i see, comes with heavy noise on shadows, beware of such high resolution if not propper prossesed.

• Unlimited: on web it says unlimited, in video it say 30 minutes

at 14:08

• 4.3K 16-Bit Raw Video Output, S-Cinetone