Personal View site logo
Z-CAM E2 camera is coming with 4K at 120fps
  • 336 Replies sorted by
  • @theconformist "Thick" means deep rich colors, contrast, good skintones... Images that pop. Can't really judge by Bloom's footage, his color grading makes everything look the same, low contrast with muted colors. I have watched some stuff on the group, it's not bad, very detailed for sure, it's a technically great image. But if you told me it was shot with an a7iii I wouldn't doubt it.

• @theconformist I'm not sure what would really "wow" you or anybody else when it comes to a camera like this one, especially when you use meaningless terms like "thick" to describe the type of image that you like. It makes an excellent image with good dynamic range and 250 megabits of HEVC (or ProRes) is plenty for lots of detail.

Whether you generally like the stuff Philip Bloom shoots or not, some of his footage with the E2 looks very nice, I think. Here's his video:

Otherwise, spend some time actually reading the group history and looking at the footage which has been posted. Michael, James, and Tat have all posted some very nice stuff.

• @eatstoomuchjam Jeez... If you have samples that wow you, feel free to post them. Nothing I have seen so far really looks that great. I am super interested in the camera, I'm sure it can create great imagery, just haven't seen it. Whether the test is flawed, it is still comparing to other cameras using the same measurement tool. More DR than comparable cameras like GH5/BMPCC4K, Sony is still saying something, even if not a precise measurement.

• Thank you

• I have to admit, they got my attention more than kinefinity team. Im excited to see what they might do in the E3 version

• @theconformist That video is garbage and the authors blocked me from commenting on their channel because I posted a polite critique of it. They claim to be testing dynamic range across cameras, but their testing methodology includes Premiere scopes which are obviously clamped to 8-bit. You can actually feel yourself becoming dumber as you watch their video.
    If you're a member of the group and have seen all of the footage that people have posted and found none of it "impressive enough," then your expectations are insane. But by all means, please show some of your incredible footage with "thick" images and bright "non-Sony" colors. Or maybe stop using "bullshit" terms to describe images. :)

@flash There are no other cameras that shoot 120 fps 4k for less than $2,000.

• This guy tested DR, found a little more than GH5, Sony..

Camera seems great on paper, love form factor. Really like that you can plug iphone/ipad in directly for monitoring/camera control. Still waiting for some truly impressive footage though. So far, looks very "Sony", drab colors and not very "thick" image. Hopefully just hasn't been put in good hands yet.

I am member of the Facebook group and apparently they are imminently releasing the Z-Cam E2G with global shutter/less DR

• When I say "I don't see 16 stops", I mean the hilights are clipped, burned

I have a GH5s which is very powerful in all lighting conditions. But I need 120fps slow motion in 4K.

Is there other solution than E2 in same price range ?

• @eatstoomuchjam

It is always better read about DR in scientific papers :-)

m43 sensors now can rise DR at lower ISO only by cooling sensor and implementing similar tricks.

For higher ISOs dual amplifiers also help a little.

All cameras are still extremely dumb in their noise reduction capability as it required big buffers and calculation efforts. This is where big improvements can come (won't add anything in pixel capacity only in the random noise reduction).

• Z-Cam haven't been super forthcoming with how they're measuring DR to get to their claimed numbers. They're probably optimistic, just as pretty much every other vendor is optimistic.

There are two higher DR modes (with tradeoffs)
    - WDR mode which does two exposures and adds some more headroom in the highlights, but with the risk of artifacts if something is moving in the highlights - this one is only available at up to 30 fps if I recall correctly
    - Set the sensor to some sort of "high quality" mode which increases DR, but at the cost of reading much more slowly from the sensor (this increases rolling shutter quite a bit) - I can't remember, but I think that this one is also only available up to a certain FPS (maybe 30 or 60)

As far as saying you can't see 16 stops of DR in footage, bear in mind that in F stop terms, 14 stops is everything from f/1.4 to f/128 and 16 stops would be everything from f/1.4 to f/256. It's a lot. If you're intentionally lighting any scene, it's very unlikely that you'd have any realistic need for that many stops of DR - and no, your monitor almost certainly can't show that.

• @flash your comparing it to what camera ? I think everyone knows Alexa is king of dr and its rated at 14 stops by arri . Blackmagic 4.6k is rated 15 stops by blackmagic and its 2 to 2.5 stops below the Alexa. The E2 is right below the 4.6k sensor . Maybe a stop below . That makes it around 10.5 to 11 stops (compared to that Alexa 14)

• Who tested the camera ? I would like to know if the dynamic range is really 16 stops. Because I don't see 16 stops when I look the E2 video WDR demo on zcam website (Do I need an HDR monitor to see 16stops ?) t

• Nice looking vid quality.

• Firmware 0.84 released with lots of improvements including that the test_prores file is no longer needed to enable ProRes.

Firmware 0.84

• Add: Apple ProRes Proxy/ProRes LT/ProRes 422/ProRes 422 HQ are supported
    • Add: H.264 proxy file is supported while recording ProRes.
      If you want to playback the ProRes file in E2, please turn it on.
      It requires more CFAST/SSD bandwidth.
    • Add: Center Mark & Frame Line
    • Add: 4K/C4K Low Noise resolution.
      With 4K/C4K Low Noise mode, it would get better noise performance and DR.
      With normal 4K/C4K 30/25/24 fps, it would get less jello effect.
    • Add: Magnify the HDMI preview while recording
    • Add: Z-Log2/Rec709/FLAT use seperated image settings(Luminance Level, Sharpness, etc)
    • Add: External LTC module is supported, the hardware will be ready soon.
    • Update: Optimize the writing speed of CFAST/SS0D
    • Update: High bitrate for 4K/C4K P120 is changed to 300Mbps
    • Update: [GUI] Use Resolution & Project FPS instead of Movie Format
    • Update: [GUI] Move Video System item to Record menu
    • Update: [GUI] Move Flicker Reduction item to Exposure menu
    • Update: LANC command support AF and playback
    • Fixed: Greenish under Z-Log2 in some low light environment
    • Fixed: WDR C4K image artifact
    • Fixed: ISO 640 bad noise performace under Z-Log2
    • Fixed: Timelapse interval > 1s under 50/60 fps doesn't work
    • Other minor bug fixed.
      Note:
    1. After install this version of firmware, the E2 can NOT be rollback to previous version.
    2. To get better writing performance, the CFAST/SSD must be formated by E2.
    3. While using ProRes, the Luminace Level must be Limited.
  • As far as I remember from looking at the firmware, the E2 is using IMX299. BMPCC4K is also using it (as far as I know), as is GH5s. I dunno who in the group is saying that it's not, but I'd be surprised if it's a Z-Cam employee. :)

• @eatstoomuchjam thanks. Really want a B and C cam to the Alexa mini that is compact and can cut with the mini on a couple shots when needed. Funny you say the pocket and z cam 2 have same sensor,as they them self on Facebook group said its not (or dont want to admit it haha ) . I got also an ursa 4.6k ..its good . Just too big compared to alexa mini and can not use it for B cam stuff as much as I want to .

• I mean 24p on the PV edition :) not likely since the budget version is 30p only?

• @sammy I haven't done scientific tests, but the DR looks better than my Sonys (A7r III and A7s II). Color looks nice. IQ is nice with newer firmware (they added a minimal/no sharpening option finally).

The primary significant differentiators between it and the pocket4k (they use the same sensor and unbiased tests have found the image quality to be very similar, with a slight edge to raw from the bmpcc4k):
    - bmpcc 4k: shoots raw, built-in touchscreen with a nice gui (does not rotate, though, which is annoying), has a built-in shoe, various reports of instability/crashing, poor battery life with lp-e6 batteries (30-50 minutes? I'm not sure - I don't have one), janky autofocus (or no autofocus)
    - e2: 4kp120, all shooting modes/speeds are full frame/non-windows, smaller more attractive body, better battery life (uses np-f batteries natively, I get about 90 minutes on a third-party 550 and about 210 minutes on a third-party 970), 8 1/4" mounting holes so you can add shoes if you want them or other accessories if you prefer, mine has been rock solid since firmware 0.82, janky autofocus which has basic human tracking

tl;dr - If you have the bmpcc4k, like it, and it is serving your needs, I wouldn't even consider the e2. If I were going to choose one, I'd choose the e2.

• @eatstoomuchjam may I ask what other cams have you used in past and how the image (my main concern is IQ ,DR and color ) compare? Nothing has convinced me yet that it has better image than the Fujifilm xt3 or pocket 4k (again in terms of color ,DR and IQ mainly )

• @jleo 24p is available and has been for some time. I'm using it for my current project.

• Like sammy said - announcement here with instructions on how to enable it (aka the "hack" I found a while back)...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/zcame2/permalink/351309028933382/

• no 24p. no sale :)

• @DrDave

Well, I want PV edition for $499 with all the features except some unnecessary hardware interfaces change.