Personal View site logo
GH2 - 2016
  • I can get a used GH2 for about 250$. Is a hacked GH2 today in 2016 still one of the best videocameras, if I don't want to use 4k?

• 65 Replies sorted by
  • Gh2 old footage never edited.....no cc at all...50mm f1.8 nikon ai and 14-42mm kit lens...in 720p still holds... and no hack at all ... does 4K 5K 6K and so on really matters? I mean c'mon vimeo and youtube compressions?how many 4k monitors and viewers are there?

• Gh2 still rocks for 2017

• Got a G7 / G70 yesterday. Send it back to the shop the same day. It was bought to replace the GH2, especially I saw a video where the G7 was copared tro a Canon D5 Mark IV. The G7 looked very good. But I sent the G7 back to the shop the same day. You have the ability to rise the blacks on the G7, but still the blacks were unnaturally crushed compared to a Gh2. Best I could get out was a look that reminded of pushed film out of the lab: Blacks crushed, the middtones somehow unnaturally evened out. Could be a Quicktime problen on the Mac (I doubt so) but the Image with the stock 12-42 lens had no texture. So I will keppp my GH2 for some longer time...

• Hello! This is the last video I made with this great camera. It is a test with an anamorphic lens. (Proskar16 2x + Canon FD 55 3.5 macro) Use the hack moon T7 but with this old objective hardly notice the quality. Thanks for all your work @Vitaliy_Kiselev

This is another video I made with the gh2 and the hack Flow Motion V2

• GH2 has the best filmic sensor on the market. Hands down. It can't be beaten. In the right lighting conditions it's incredible. The hacks are cherrys on top of an already great camera. With Neat Video 4 to clean up the noise in low light, GH2 competes on a higher level.

• Really nice! What lenses and camera stabilization are you using in this clip? @sebdrewett

• @sebdrewtt Excellent camera work. No grading and looks great. Which Hack and picture profile are you using on this video?

• Samsung should continue with their NX ... sighhhh

• Panasonic GH2 w/speedbooster sigmas 18-35 1.8 . I love this camera (:

• Vitaliy: I've integrated ClipWrap to my workflow to make it progressive, excellent qty.

• One thing bad about GH2 is recording 25p and 30p in interlaced container.

In the money shortage variant you can try NX30

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/15922/samsung-nx30-body-refurbished-279#Item_1

• Yeah, seems like a decent price; it's still a great HD cam, hard to beat for the price :D

• I still shoot most of my freelance work with this camera.

Am even considering to buy a second cam of it. What you guys think, is USD200 for the body too ex or a good deal? Think I can nego for a cheaper price?

• For me, the GH3, wasn't a big update, but the GH4 really is. For my needs, GH2 It's the best. As long as 24fps is a standard, the GH2 it's my company's best tool.

• @zcream could you link to this GH1 hack please? :)

• @zcream @IronFilm There's no Nikon hack for the D5300, but there are 40Mbps and 64Mbps hacks for the D5200, which is practically the same model (60i instead of 60p max frame rate). The hack cleans up practically all macroblock artifacts from the D5200 H.264 encoder and the advanced sensel binning used to produce 1080p video has virtually no aliasing or moire. In addition, Nikon's Custom Picture Control feature allows you to load and select among seven different tone curves. I developed a set of calibrated gamma curves to dial in the best gamma for each scene, just like using the Photoshop Level control while shooting. This combination of features makes the D5200 the best choice for my kind of indoor event shooting. The only limitation is the 4GB max file size for each clip. Biggest drawback is the lack of a histogram, but the zebra works well in practice.

Compared to the Sony A7s, the Nkon D5200 is not as clean at ISO higher than 3200. But I don't like the Sony's ISO quirks or its skin tones, and I can't use its lens mount. I have a collection of great Nikon, Tamron, and Rokinon lenses in Nikon F mount and a pair of Metabones normal and speedbooster Nikon adapters that work perfectly on my GH2 and LS300 MFT cameras. The MFT cameras have limited ISO ranges but can record long unattended takes.

The Nikon D5200 is also an excellent stills camera, with a 24Mpix sensor and 14-bit RAW color depth. That basically makes it an APS-C cropped-frame version of the 36Mpix D810, which would be overkill for my purposes. In stills mode, the D5200 is clean up to ISO 6400, which is plenty of range for me. I typically shoot in auto-focus Aperture-priority mode and let the camera pick the ISO for me. Nikon's auto-exposure tech is top notch, and captures shots much quicker than I could in manual mode. It's a drop dead bargain these days for about $350 on Ebay.

• Have you looked at the new GH1 hack ? 66mbps and no fpn..

• " Would the D5300 be the best low light 1080p camera ATM"

No of course not, you've got the obvious a7S to name just one example.

But is the D5300 the "best" ultra low budget 1080 low light camera? Arguably yes it might be perhaps.

Though I'd suggest instead a secondhand A6000/A5100 with a focal reducer or Panasonic G7 with a focal reducer.

• @LPowell you prefer the D5300 with hack to both the GH1 n GH2 ? Would the D5300 be the best low light 1080p camera ATM ?

• Regarding if one can see if it is hacked: If it is a PAL verdion of the GH2, put a n SD card in and see, if the remaining time to film is more that 29:59. If yes, it is hacked.

• The GH2 is still uniquely hackable in technical aspects that no other video camera offers at this time. Anyone concerned with post-production motion picture quality would do well to study how H.264 compression actually works, how its shortcomings can visibly degrade your footage, and under what circumstances it will fail. The devil in the details lurks within macroblock artifacts, deblocking filters, and matrix coefficients. These factors are poorly documented, frequently misinterpreted, and rarely accessible to end-users. Clean, artifact-free footage isn't always essential, but when it's crucial and H.264 is all you've got, the GH2 is the only camera that gives you the hacks needed to achieve it. But Mbps alone is no panacea, you have to know how to spot the flaws in your footage and what can realistically be done about it.

That said, the GH2's limited practical ISO range, lack of black-level pedestal adjustment, and its crappy chroma balance in shadow details are major limitations on its usefulness. In practice, the GH2 is excellent in moderate-contrast daylight settings, good for stark high-contrast lighting, and poor for dim indoor illumination. Its saving grace is the Metabones Speedbooster, which enables MFT cameras to defy the f2.8 limits of conventional zoom lenses. That plus the promise of LUT normalization will reserve a niche for the GH2 for as long as H.264 1080p video remains viable.

• Nice. Looks great. If you're interested in trying a more sharp look, maybe try Panasonic lenses with the Moon T7 or MoonT5 hack setting.