Personal View site logo
GH2 - 2016
  • 65 Replies sorted by
  • I bought a used Lumix GH2 if somebody wonder. I paid 200$ for the GH2 and Lumix lens 014045

• If you not a Pro

GH2 still OK

as camera

and video cam

• There are obviously better choices now, but anyone who says you can't still shoot very competitive video with a GH2 in 2016 is either full of shit, or they suck.

• At this point GH2 will remain a legend ;)

• I have heard a rumor that Leica X1 or is it X2 and Lumix GH2 use same type of sensor, a Philip sensor. Is that true?

I have used my new used Lumix GH2 to shoot photos for the last couple of days. I must say, I realy like the result of GH2. I have a GM1 and a GX7 they give sharper result but I prefer to the softer GH2. Somebody else choose GH2 before GM1 and GX7 to shoot photo?

• I have heard a rumor that Leica X1 or is it X2 and Lumix GH2 use same type of sensor, a Philip sensor. Is that true?

I have used my new used Lumix GH2 to shoot photos for the last couple of days. I must say, I realy like the result of GH2. I have a GM1 and a GX7 they give sharper result but I prefer to the softer GH2. Somebody else choose GH2 before GM1 and GX7 to shoot photo?

• I have multiple GH2s and and a G6 and and a GX7, I prefer the G6 and GX7 for photos but hacked GH2 for videos.

• I use the GH4 almost exclusively now, with my GH2 as a B cam, but honestly, if the GH2 had focus peaking, I'd use it a lot more. But as someone else mentioned, the screen and EVF (which weren't bad at the time, but were never great) is hard to judge critical focus on if you're manually focusing. I end up building it up with a monitor when I use it as my B cam.

• Bought a GH2 a month ago, 240€ with Kit lenses in mind condition and I don't regret a single cent. ^^Love this camera vibe.

• Gh2 still rocks for 2016.

• I made this video using GH2 in 2016.GH2 is still enough for me.

• All shots on GH2 except one with the GF6 (2016, no budget). Thinking about a G7, presently.

• One of the Rode 2016 finalists used a Panasonic GH2:

http://www.rode.com/myrodereel/watch/entry/2564

• I'm still using my GH2, I love its rugged look. I'm using Driftwood Cluster v6_6GOP "Nebular". I actually would love to hear about another hack if you guys think is better. Here are some work I shot with the GH2 with voigtlander 25mm f0.95:

• Nice. Looks great. If you're interested in trying a more sharp look, maybe try Panasonic lenses with the Moon T7 or MoonT5 hack setting.

• The GH2 is still uniquely hackable in technical aspects that no other video camera offers at this time. Anyone concerned with post-production motion picture quality would do well to study how H.264 compression actually works, how its shortcomings can visibly degrade your footage, and under what circumstances it will fail. The devil in the details lurks within macroblock artifacts, deblocking filters, and matrix coefficients. These factors are poorly documented, frequently misinterpreted, and rarely accessible to end-users. Clean, artifact-free footage isn't always essential, but when it's crucial and H.264 is all you've got, the GH2 is the only camera that gives you the hacks needed to achieve it. But Mbps alone is no panacea, you have to know how to spot the flaws in your footage and what can realistically be done about it.

That said, the GH2's limited practical ISO range, lack of black-level pedestal adjustment, and its crappy chroma balance in shadow details are major limitations on its usefulness. In practice, the GH2 is excellent in moderate-contrast daylight settings, good for stark high-contrast lighting, and poor for dim indoor illumination. Its saving grace is the Metabones Speedbooster, which enables MFT cameras to defy the f2.8 limits of conventional zoom lenses. That plus the promise of LUT normalization will reserve a niche for the GH2 for as long as H.264 1080p video remains viable.

• Regarding if one can see if it is hacked: If it is a PAL verdion of the GH2, put a n SD card in and see, if the remaining time to film is more that 29:59. If yes, it is hacked.

• @LPowell you prefer the D5300 with hack to both the GH1 n GH2 ? Would the D5300 be the best low light 1080p camera ATM ?

• " Would the D5300 be the best low light 1080p camera ATM"

No of course not, you've got the obvious a7S to name just one example.

But is the D5300 the "best" ultra low budget 1080 low light camera? Arguably yes it might be perhaps.

Though I'd suggest instead a secondhand A6000/A5100 with a focal reducer or Panasonic G7 with a focal reducer.

• Have you looked at the new GH1 hack ? 66mbps and no fpn..

• @zcream @IronFilm There's no Nikon hack for the D5300, but there are 40Mbps and 64Mbps hacks for the D5200, which is practically the same model (60i instead of 60p max frame rate). The hack cleans up practically all macroblock artifacts from the D5200 H.264 encoder and the advanced sensel binning used to produce 1080p video has virtually no aliasing or moire. In addition, Nikon's Custom Picture Control feature allows you to load and select among seven different tone curves. I developed a set of calibrated gamma curves to dial in the best gamma for each scene, just like using the Photoshop Level control while shooting. This combination of features makes the D5200 the best choice for my kind of indoor event shooting. The only limitation is the 4GB max file size for each clip. Biggest drawback is the lack of a histogram, but the zebra works well in practice.

Compared to the Sony A7s, the Nkon D5200 is not as clean at ISO higher than 3200. But I don't like the Sony's ISO quirks or its skin tones, and I can't use its lens mount. I have a collection of great Nikon, Tamron, and Rokinon lenses in Nikon F mount and a pair of Metabones normal and speedbooster Nikon adapters that work perfectly on my GH2 and LS300 MFT cameras. The MFT cameras have limited ISO ranges but can record long unattended takes.

The Nikon D5200 is also an excellent stills camera, with a 24Mpix sensor and 14-bit RAW color depth. That basically makes it an APS-C cropped-frame version of the 36Mpix D810, which would be overkill for my purposes. In stills mode, the D5200 is clean up to ISO 6400, which is plenty of range for me. I typically shoot in auto-focus Aperture-priority mode and let the camera pick the ISO for me. Nikon's auto-exposure tech is top notch, and captures shots much quicker than I could in manual mode. It's a drop dead bargain these days for about $350 on Ebay.

• @zcream could you link to this GH1 hack please? :)

• For me, the GH3, wasn't a big update, but the GH4 really is. For my needs, GH2 It's the best. As long as 24fps is a standard, the GH2 it's my company's best tool.