Personal View site logo
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • http://www.nokishita-camera.com/2017/01/blog-post.html

LUMIX DC-GH 5

• Number of effective pixels 20.3 million pixels (total number of pixels: 21.77 million pixels)
    • 3.68 million dot Organic EL EVF (0.76 times)
    • 1.62 million dots free angle monitor (touch panel)
    • Wi-Fi (802.11a / b / g / n / ac), Bluetooth (v4.2) installed
    • USB type-C (USB 3.1 GEN 1)
    • Dual SD card slot
    • 138.5 x 98.1 x 87.4 mm
    • 645 g (main body only), 725 g (SD card, including battery)

LEICA DG Vario-Elmarit 12 - 60 mm F 2.8 - 4 Power OIS

• Lens construction: 12 groups 14 pieces (4 aspherical lenses, 2 ED lenses)
    • Shortest shooting distance: 20 cm (wide angle), 24 cm (telephoto)
    • Maximum photographing magnification: 0.3 times (converted to 35 mm 0.6 times)
    • Shake correction: POWER OIS
    • Filter diameter: 62 mm
    • Size (maximum diameter × length): 68.4 mm × 86 mm
    • Weight: 320 g

LUMIX GX VARIO 12 - 35 mm F 2.8 II ASPH. POWER OIS
    LUMIX GX VARIO 35-100 mm F 2.8 II POWER OIS

If the specs are correct, the GH5 seems to have the same sensor as the E-M1. USB Type-C is very welcomed, fast charging through the camera would be nice, which can also help with all sort of stuff with a new GRIP, extra ports and possibilities.

Bluetooth can be interesting if Panasonic implements a solution like Nikon for remote mobile app. I've seen a lot of people praising it for its practicality.

Hopefully the changes in the 12-35 and 35-100 GX II lenses is more than just cosmetic like in some other "II" lenses from Panasonic.

The GH4 is 132.9 x 93.4 x 83.9 mm and 560g with battery, the GH5 is a little bit bigger but considerably heavier than the GH4 - and E-M1 II.

I wonder what made the GH5 this much heavier, was it the IBIS alone? Well, the E-M1 also has it and it's nowhere near 725g, what else?

• Wow, thats heavy for a 4/3 micro format... 725 grams, deep in DSLR territory.

• DLSR territory... While the Canon 5D4 was a big disappointment for video this will not be. Heavy weight probably means effectiv heat management.

GH4 = Approx. 560g (body, card, battery)

GH5 = 725 g (SD card, including battery)

Almost 30 per cent more weight.

Battery (and card) seems to weight the same 80 grams.

• "If the specs are correct, the GH5 seems to have the same sensor as the E-M1."

So it seems Panasonic used a off the shelf Sony sensor after all. No surprises there.

• @theSUBVERSIVE

Specs are correct, as they are from press kit.

• 4/3Rumors says 180fps maximum video frame rate. So probably 1080p 180, not bad at all!

• Tomorrow is the premier of GH5. The camera will be in stores later in spring. They are making final adjustments for FW. I hope the GH5 will have:

• auto iso in M with EC for photos and video
    • auto iso and shutter speed limit for photos and video
    • showing exposure values in all video modes
    • semi-auto exposure mode for video. Exposure, focus and AWB sets when starting the video and then stays unchanged. Canceled by pressing AE-lock.
    • separate AE-lock, AF-lock and WB-lock (FN-buttons)
    • all menu items for FN-buttons
    • during dialing iso should not block seeing other values
    • AF+MF should work all the time when ON. (not only with half press)
    • manual focus shift (focus pull) via FN-buttons with adjustable speed
    • EV comp and video buttons programmable for FN use.
    • adjustable EVF sharpness
    • EVF protecting cover
    • sensor zooming or different crops for 4k video
    • more accurate and wider histogram with better warnings (like in Olympus)
    • My menu for favorite menu items
    • symbol for idynamic and wind filter in displays
    • ability to save the whole camera setup with names like indoors, outdoors, etc
    • more range for bracketing (-2,0,+2)
    • play button to right side via FN-button
    • iso100 for video
    • no need for using everything in manual if using very slow shutter for video (less than 1/25s)

These are little things and mostly doable with FW programming.

• @Vesku

So, your plan of kidnapping Panasonic lead manager kids is going smooth?

:-)

P.S. I just do not know any more efficient way

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Thanks for editing my list for better viewing.

I prefer the non-violent way.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

So why can't they actually leak the important specs from the press kit. ;-)

Seriously, the weight is not one of my key interest points.

• What about dynamic range ,and any log or hdr for video mode ,any info on that compared to gh4?

• @EspenB

It can be that Panasonic made such kit so it lacks this specs.

• Perhaps Panasonic will really surprise us with the actual specs. ;-)

• Hoping for 2.5K 120 fps mode. Center crop would be an acceptable trade-off. @Vesku How many boxes do they have to tick on your list to avoid a hostage crisis?

• Looking forward to it

• "Its now confirmed, the GH5 will offer maximum bit rate of 400Mbps in 4K video! The 400Mbps will come as a firmware update on the second half of 2017. Right now, the the camera will be launched with 150Mbps."

• ""Its now confirmed, the GH5 will offer maximum bit rate of 400Mbps in 4K video! The 400Mbps will come as a firmware update on the second half of 2017. Right now, the the camera will be launched with 150Mbps.""

I don't know where this quote is from, but giving the bitrate without the codec is meaningless. Some Canon cameras do over 500 Mbps. Sounds good, right? But it is MJpeg compression. 150 Mbps, for H265, would be quite good.

• Panasonic does not use motion JPEG so that is really no question.

• "Panasonic does not use motion JPEG so that is really no question." No kidding (actually Panasonic did use MJpeg in its early cameras for video)? The issue is what compression the GH5 does use. Do you know (and understand the question and its relevance), or do you just copy and paste from web sites?

• Panasonic had a good codec in latest models, why do you think it will be different this time?

• Panasonic current 4k 60P camcorders use 150Mbs h.264 codec.

400Mbs codec may be all-i 4k like GH4 200Mbs all-i. In practice it is the same as MJPG.

• What is "same in practice" between H.264 and MJpeg?

• @markr041 - You did seem to suggest that Panasonic would suddenly take a "5D4" approach in the GH5. Which will only happen when hell freezes over. What Panasonic did in the past before codec technology matured to todays standards are not a good example.

• @vesku We can be sure that Panasonic will not offer just a "all-I" codec which at this point is all we need to know. ;-)

• New details: GH5 list for USD 1999. Battery grip is updated (not the same as GH3/4). Grip lists for USD 350 and XLR unit for USD 400. (43rumors)