Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • EVF Waveform / Vectorscope sounds fine for me. We'll see if it goes externally or not. I've got a Ninja Assassin, and it will be very nice to see how close the internal codec can get to the pro-res externally.

• GH5 sensor compared to GH4 from photos:

gh4-gh5s.jpg
    665 x 503 - 102K
  • Keep on dreaming.

• EVF Waveform / Vectorscope sounds very nice but the big question is will the GH5 show aperture, shutter speed and iso in video modes. It would help judging exposure even more than scopes.

• What the hell are you talking about? How do you judge exposure by looking at apertue or iso value? "Oh I see F5.6 so the exposure is OK!" Its time for you to take a basic video course.

• @liork

Take it easy. It's better for everyone that way.

• It's better not to spread bullshit in a pro forum.

• Waveform is excellent. But for V-log L it would be really useful to have a built-in REC709 LUT so one can see better what the resulting video might look like. Is that an ok request for a "pro" forum?

• If my info is right, you will get this LUT. We will see in just few hours...

• @liork

I want to know what aperture or iso the camera is using. What is wrong with it?

• According to the most recent specs it will roll up to 4K @ 40fps in 10 bit 4:2:2, which is .6 playback speed in 24P timeline. That should be really nice for a mild slow-mo effect without any quality loss. If true, nice job Panny!

VK, can you confirm that isn't a typo in your spec list?

• 225-points of CDAF is good but no PDAF may be a bit concerning for tracking AF since everybody that has improved it has adopted PDAF.

Along with Waveform and Vectorscope, False Color would had been nice as well.

I wonder what Panasonic will say about taking 2 firmware updates to deliver All-I flavor of 10-bit 422 instead of having it right away.

Paid V-log... At this price point for this target audience it doesn't make any sense, basically all people wanting the feats that makes the GH5 stand out will want V-log, this is not some niche thing like anamorphic that just a select few can take advantage of. V-log should come with the camera.

As for the rest, it's a matter of waiting for more explanation.

Nick Driftwood will be doing a Live on Panasonic UK Twitter, I think. After the announcement people can flood him with these questions.

• Nick Driftwood will be doing a Live on Panasonic UK Twitter, I think. After the announcement people can flood him with these questions.

Huh. For more than 2 years I do not understand who is responsible for media relations in Panasonic UK. They have lot of good people, including Nick. But their usage and organization most of the time sucks.

• Is that anamorphic mode back on gh5?

• It should be.

• This really could be ideal cam for doing things on run with minimum tools now having this 5 axsis stibalization ,really a solid monopod could do magic with this camera

• "One man video team"... I hope they will not need to fix ibis firmware like with the G80.

• @liork Why do you hope they will need to fix it? Shouldn't you hope it works properly when released?

• Sorry, forgot to put "not" befoe "need"... fixed it now.

• New Advanced DFD AF technology for moving object.

• No details on the 6K photo mode? Will it shoot 10-bit in 6K, bitrate, what's the chromatic subsampling, all that important stuff.

• Press releases is not out until 10:45 Vegas time (19:45 Berlin time).

• Looking forward to seeing the press release!