Personal View site logo
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • @Vesku

So, your plan of kidnapping Panasonic lead manager kids is going smooth?

:-)

P.S. I just do not know any more efficient way

• Tomorrow is the premier of GH5. The camera will be in stores later in spring. They are making final adjustments for FW. I hope the GH5 will have:

• auto iso in M with EC for photos and video
    • auto iso and shutter speed limit for photos and video
    • showing exposure values in all video modes
    • semi-auto exposure mode for video. Exposure, focus and AWB sets when starting the video and then stays unchanged. Canceled by pressing AE-lock.
    • separate AE-lock, AF-lock and WB-lock (FN-buttons)
    • all menu items for FN-buttons
    • during dialing iso should not block seeing other values
    • AF+MF should work all the time when ON. (not only with half press)
    • manual focus shift (focus pull) via FN-buttons with adjustable speed
    • EV comp and video buttons programmable for FN use.
    • adjustable EVF sharpness
    • EVF protecting cover
    • sensor zooming or different crops for 4k video
    • more accurate and wider histogram with better warnings (like in Olympus)
    • My menu for favorite menu items
    • symbol for idynamic and wind filter in displays
    • ability to save the whole camera setup with names like indoors, outdoors, etc
    • more range for bracketing (-2,0,+2)
    • play button to right side via FN-button
    • iso100 for video
    • no need for using everything in manual if using very slow shutter for video (less than 1/25s)

These are little things and mostly doable with FW programming.

• 4/3Rumors says 180fps maximum video frame rate. So probably 1080p 180, not bad at all!

• @theSUBVERSIVE

Specs are correct, as they are from press kit.

• "If the specs are correct, the GH5 seems to have the same sensor as the E-M1."

So it seems Panasonic used a off the shelf Sony sensor after all. No surprises there.

• DLSR territory... While the Canon 5D4 was a big disappointment for video this will not be. Heavy weight probably means effectiv heat management.

GH4 = Approx. 560g (body, card, battery)

GH5 = 725 g (SD card, including battery)

Almost 30 per cent more weight.

Battery (and card) seems to weight the same 80 grams.

• Wow, thats heavy for a 4/3 micro format... 725 grams, deep in DSLR territory.

• http://www.nokishita-camera.com/2017/01/blog-post.html

LUMIX DC-GH 5

• Number of effective pixels 20.3 million pixels (total number of pixels: 21.77 million pixels)
    • 3.68 million dot Organic EL EVF (0.76 times)
    • 1.62 million dots free angle monitor (touch panel)
    • Wi-Fi (802.11a / b / g / n / ac), Bluetooth (v4.2) installed
    • USB type-C (USB 3.1 GEN 1)
    • Dual SD card slot
    • 138.5 x 98.1 x 87.4 mm
    • 645 g (main body only), 725 g (SD card, including battery)

LEICA DG Vario-Elmarit 12 - 60 mm F 2.8 - 4 Power OIS

• Lens construction: 12 groups 14 pieces (4 aspherical lenses, 2 ED lenses)
    • Shortest shooting distance: 20 cm (wide angle), 24 cm (telephoto)
    • Maximum photographing magnification: 0.3 times (converted to 35 mm 0.6 times)
    • Shake correction: POWER OIS
    • Filter diameter: 62 mm
    • Size (maximum diameter × length): 68.4 mm × 86 mm
    • Weight: 320 g

LUMIX GX VARIO 12 - 35 mm F 2.8 II ASPH. POWER OIS
    LUMIX GX VARIO 35-100 mm F 2.8 II POWER OIS

If the specs are correct, the GH5 seems to have the same sensor as the E-M1. USB Type-C is very welcomed, fast charging through the camera would be nice, which can also help with all sort of stuff with a new GRIP, extra ports and possibilities.

Bluetooth can be interesting if Panasonic implements a solution like Nikon for remote mobile app. I've seen a lot of people praising it for its practicality.

Hopefully the changes in the 12-35 and 35-100 GX II lenses is more than just cosmetic like in some other "II" lenses from Panasonic.

The GH4 is 132.9 x 93.4 x 83.9 mm and 560g with battery, the GH5 is a little bit bigger but considerably heavier than the GH4 - and E-M1 II.

I wonder what made the GH5 this much heavier, was it the IBIS alone? Well, the E-M1 also has it and it's nowhere near 725g, what else?

• I already posted this on other topics, but it is worth discussing in GH5 topic also

This is Olympus MK II main motherboard. If my sources are right, GH5 motherboard will be very similar. For such price MB must not have SD slots directly mounted on it, as well as do not have any external connectors.

In short it means that it'll me least integrated and most complex MB for few years for Panasonic.

• Still no picture of the sensor. I'm dying to discover the aspect ratio of the sensor...

• Nikon has it, BT has low energy consumption.

• Looks like on the photo with LCD flipped out, it has the Bluetooth symbol, what will that do instead of wifi connection?

• AE-lock button seems to bee much closer to thumb in GH5 than in GH4. It is good because it is difficult to use back button focusing in GH4. It needs too much thumb movement and the video shakes easily. I hope is will be possible to program separate AF and AE lock and maybe even WB lock.

• What are the new drive modes?

I think 6k Photo and post focus?

• I bet the joystick is to move between PDAF points...

Time to get rid of such things. All it needs is one button and good eye tracker inside EVF for this.

• I bet the joystick is to move between PDAF points...

• [Photos added by VK]

GH5 photos:

From

http://www.nokishita-camera.com/2016/12/gh5.html

sample140.jpg
    800 x 592 - 44K
    sample142.jpg
    800 x 655 - 54K
    sample141.jpg
    800 x 569 - 48K
    sample144.jpg
    800 x 526 - 62K
    sample145.jpg
    800 x 654 - 63K
  • @theSUBVERSIVE Yes that's a good point, assuming there isn't some technical reason it couldn't be done, that would be the ideal solution for right now. And the GH6 or 7 could be h265 only, as by then everything would have caught up.

• @aldolega If Panasonic is going to offer H.265, why can't they also offer H.264? I mean, DJI just did that, they are offering H.265 but there is still H.264 for those that prefer it, Panasonic could simply do the same. It doesn't need to be a hassle with just H.265 like Samsung did.

• 1 - because the video is 4k @60. And 2 - because the host is a Panny ambassador now.

• I did not get it, why do you think this was shot on GH5? I skipped through video couldn't watch it really..

• Based on the clips inserted into the podcast, it looks like he shot his documentary in 4K 60P as well. Probably done purely for marketing reasons, as that is a standalone feature of this camera. If the cam can really do 180 fps HD (3x slow-mo in a 60P timeline), it could still add a nice dramatic effect to the final piece.

• first footage shot on the GH5?

The clips properties show it was shot at 4k 60p..on a panasonic lens....????

• Any chance the GH5 could have built-in waveform?

Why are you so pessimistic Vitaliy?...