Personal View site logo
Sony A6300 4K 100mbit 14 stops DR little monster, official topic
  • 507 Replies sorted by
  • Does the fact that there are more phase detect pixels in this camera than in the a6000 affect its potential for noise performance? If this cam had the same number of PD pixels as the a6000 for instance, would it potentially have a little cleaner output, or does it really not make a difference in practice?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Yes, i know :). Although I'm very happy with my sony A7S. And when I saw the specs of the A6300, I was really enthusiast. 4k, 120fps in 1080p, fasted AF ever (and usable with adapter and other lenses), slog 3,..

So I ordered one immediately. I never thought that the rolling shutter would be worse then with the A7S. Or that the 1080 would be so soft :D. But I don't going to cancel the order. This will be my little photo camera, handy to take with me (with the small 17-50mm) like compact cam (ok, a big compact cam :) ) Next year I or the year after that I will buy an upgrade for my A7s for video.

• It's pretty clear that Sony set out to create a future-proof camera in the a6300, one who's specs will likely look impressive, even two years down the road. The camera has a lot of fire power, both in the AF and video departments, and initial impressions indicate that everything works as it should. Which is to say, the a6300 is a really impressive little camera.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/7832469254/keeping-up-with-the-action-shooting-the-sony-a6300-in-miami

• @conscius

Always remember three words - "Its a Sony!". Sony makes some wonderful cameras and most of them have some strange shortcomings or some unusual omissions.

• Well, I'm not gonne sell my A7S yet :p. But The a6300 will be my still picture camera.

@Tscheckoff thanks. Cool that 25p also scales 6k to 4k (i'm from europe and 25p is my most used framerate).

It's pitty that de 1080p100 is soft. And weird that the rolling shutter is so bad, this will not be my hand hand filmcam. But hell, we can't have everything. I keep my A7S en will buy a new cam for video in de next 2 years or so.

• wow...the g7 is looking like a steal !

• @Tscheckoff About the noise, Slog3 is just too much for these 8 bit "low" bitrate cams. While slog3 can still be usable, the slog2 clips look better to me. The noise levels are really pretty good for what it is, Im pretty happy with them. Images look excellent.

• Yes. And it´s also scaling 6K to 4K in 25P (in PAL mode).

/EDIT:/ Wow - Just read the Cinema5D article (A6300 vs. A7s II): The rolling shutter is even worse than on the Samsung NX1. According their measurements: GH4 - 14ms, A7s - 24ms (full frame mode), Samsung NX1 - 30ms, A6300 - 34ms. Plus it has noticeably higher base noise levels with S-LOG because of the smaller sensor (compared to the full frame models for example) -> It´s also there in the sampe clips btw.

Sure - Nice AF, acceptable price, good stills camera and it´s coming with good image quality.
    But the cons are REALLY annoying - It seems the GH4 is staying for quite a while ^^.

• Is it only downsizing 6k in 24p?

• They (in video above) mentioned that the noise performance is excellent in 4k 24p, but in 4k 30p it is about a stop worse because it is not downsizing 6k. I didnt even consider this, kind of a bummer, but it is still decent at 30p. 1080 will be fairly noisy too, and my God it is soft at 120 fps.

• So don't use S-Log3 then. Of course S-Log3 is way too spread out for 8 bits. Even S-Log2 is a stretch. Cine1 (HyperGamma 4) is much better suited for 8-bit recording, with no compromise in the usable dynamic range.

• Saw this earlier, such a shame. I wish they would have used a tighter crop in order to get less pixels to be able fully supersample the image instead of line skipping 20mp. Id rather deal with a crop than with mushy footage.

• 1080p is another point where the Sony a6300 fails. The camera can shoot in full HD resolution, but the image is very soft and dirty in terms of aliasing. The Sony a7S II is much closer to the quality of the original a7S.

The Sony a6300 can shoot slow motion up to 120fps in full HD. A crop of about 80% of the sensor is used in this mode. Unfortunately, the quality is almost identical to the one observed in HD mode at normal recording speeds—and in both modes, low light performance isn’t great.

https://www.cinema5d.com/sony-a6300-vs-sony-a7s-ii-how-good-is-it-really/

• I did a look in the waveform monitor, the slog images use a range from 40 to 230, aproximately a 192 range, 7,5bit. Can be enough for a good quality final image. If someday it records to 10bit it will be 160 to 920 range.

• A6300 with Beholder DS-1 (3-axis gimbal)

• Very impressive, amazing what a jump in sensor tech and resolution can do for noise levels in just one generation.

• Leica/Panny are already doing it, for a price. If you need that, just wait.

But that little Sony is still a very capable camera, remember that we are talking about a photo camera doing some video too. DR is real for photography in RAW.

Like peaceonearth arguments, I'm normally not using Log even with my A7S, the Cine profiles are much better in most cases. The rule is simple: with 8 bit, what you see should be very close to what you want to get!