Personal View site logo
GH4 - Best Video Settings
  • 753 Replies sorted by
  • @azo I have the lumix 14-140 3.5-5.6 and the Voigtlander 25mm F0.95. Obviously the Voigltander is manual lens but would not class it as a classic old soft lens...

Ideally I want the right balance, I don't want to lose clarity and detail in the image but I don't want it to be too sharp and digital. I also dont have the time to mess around with sharpness in post so i need to go with the image out of the camera. I was thinking maybe -5 sharpness for the lumix and -3 for the voigtlander ?

• @Imackreath

Since you do not have the time to do things in post I would suggest using -3 sharpness for the Lumix 14-140 and set the sharpness to 0 with the Voigtlander. Do a test shot on what you plan to shoot or something similar and see how it looks on the Voigtlander. Being that you want a nice sharp image and don't have time to edit in post you might consider stopping the voigtlander down to F/2. This way you have a nice sharp image with good contrast throughout the frame.

• I am having an issue with 4k footage that I need a bit of guidance with. It seems if I put 4k footage into a 4k timeline in fcpx and then render out to 1080p the final output seems strangly sharp, sharper than the raw files on the sd card?. I dont have the same issue if I render to 1080p from a 1080p timeline so I wonder what fcp x is doing in the 4k timeline that is different?

It also takes an AGE to render anything when using a 4k timeline, even if rendering down to 1080p, rendering from a 1080p timleine takes no time at all?

• 4k does have 4 times the pixels of an HD image. This could be a clue!

• @caveport a clue to what?...the slow render time or the sharper image?

• Both really!

4K timelines will look very sharp when scaled to HD on output because they are rendered at 4k before scaling. 4k in an HD timeline is scaled before rendering, which is why there is a difference.

Rendering time is usually determined by the timeline resolution as that determines how many pixels are in each frame that must be rendered. More pixels = slower.

• @Caveport: And how would the result compare if rendered and exported out in 4K from a 4K timeline and then using Apple compressor for example create a New HD 1080p version? I like the idea of this workflow because you have a master 4K version for sort of future proofing and from which can be created any number of versions....of course there a difference between sharpness and resolution right... With the GH4 then, Setting the sharpness to - 5 for ex. should take care of sharpness issues while the 4K resolution shines.. Regardless of final output.. What do you think?

• @crowbar @caveport To try and understand why my hd footage was coming out so sharp from a 4k timeline I then rendered a 4k file from the 4k timeline instead, and the result came out a lot softer, and close to the original footage on the sd card. (on my 27 inch 2.5k mac screen that is...)

Based on these findings what are the correct/preffered methods of downscaling 4k to hd then?...to use a 4k timeline or a hd timeline? Are we saying using a 4k timeline gives a real downscale of the pixels into hd, hence the long render time and the sharper footage? or is using a hd timeline the preferred method? Before these findings i didnt think there would be a difference in the outputting video file, i just was aware that it took a lot longer to render in a 4k timeline. In Dave Duggales guide on how to downscale he didnt notice any difference in the footage he examined?...i will post examples of both in a bit...

• Ok here is the first example..this is the 4k footage, in a 4k timeline rendered out to HD...which has come out a lot sharper than the original footage on the sd card when viewed on my mac

• And here is the 2nd. This one is the same 4k footage, this time edited in a 1080p timeline and then exported as before in 1080p using the same export settings as the previous video.

Make sure your youtube quality settings are at 1080p to get the full quality video.

Can people see the difference?

• I don't have a 4K camera, (still just the GH3), but, this sounds like an interesting question. I tried to view the YouTube videos but they are blocked in the USA.

NA_usa.jpg
    657 x 400 - 125K
  • My fault using licensed music!!.. Works in uk

• @crowbar Sounds like you should try your own suggestions and use the method that produces the most pleasing result. I don't have any standard workflows as I create workflows for each project based on the requirements of the finished product. My most common setup is 4k shoot with Panasonic GH4, edit on HD timeline in FCPX, round trip to Resolve (grading only) and back to FCPX for final output with audio mix added. This preserves my 4k footage resolution at each stage and future-proofs my project without having to render at 4k. If I need 4k in future, I can change the FCPX timeline resolution make a few adjustments and create a new output. If I'm working in Avid I stay HD at every stage and let Avid create new media on import. Premiere Pro works a bit differently and I'm quite new to it, so I'm still developing suitable workflows.

• The question still remains.. Is true downscaling of 4K footage only when it is put into a 4K timeline, rendered in 4K and the scaled to 1080p on export?

• I use the GH4 downscaling out of camera to 10bit 422 prores recorded to a ninja blade - it's still downscaling, but the camera makes a better job of it than my avid editing software. Plus it's another process in post I don't have to worry about

• My confusion is around what the difference is by putting the footage in a 4K timeline and a hd timeline and what fcp x is doing to the files. This sharpened output of the hd file born out of a 4K timeline... Is this the product of true downscaling where all the extra resolution has been squeezed into the hd file and hence the extras detail and sharpness?. Why does this not occur with 4K footage from a 1080p timeline?.. Is the rendered video never using the extra resolution of the 4K file as its in a 1080p timeline , hence the softer outputted video?.. Is this not really downscaling then?

• @caveport: Thanks, that makes total sense, I had not thought of changing the resolution of the timeline within the same project without having to start a new one. So then with 4K in a 1080p timeline, everything will work smoother, faster rendering etc. and then should one need a 4K output, the timeline resolution can be changed to 4K in that same project and re-rendered. I think I got it by George! I guess I have been exporting out mostly 4K projects just to enjoy that resolution on the 5K iMac retina but the fact is that rendering with lots of grading in a 4K timeline is just very tedious even with a fully upgraded machine.

• @ Imackreath, In my own projects, regarding softness/sharpness, I have not noticed a difference in the two workflows you mention, both of which I use yet I have never done A/B comparisons.... Sorry but I am not so technical that I can answer your questions on downscaling.

• @lmackreath I just tested your workflow and cannot replicate the sharpness issue you describe and is visible in your Youtube clips. You might need to check each step to be sure something has not caused the sharpness change in your video.

• Hi everybody. I just wanted to contribute to this thread as I've seen a lot of tutorials about how to get the best low light settings for the GH4. I'm not sure if you are aware of this, as many people here speak about 400, 800, 1600 ISO but never 1000 or 1250. I discovered this little trick by accident and it comes in handy when you need to adjust the ISO above 800 but don't want the obvious jump up to 1600, especially during a live shoot like a wedding. It's not really a hack as such, more of a hidden feature that can only be implemented in the photo sub menu but will still work in video mode nonetheless.

• @simo777 This is not a hidden feature. It's there since gh4 was released

• @simo777 This is just one of many menu options. How on earth could anyone be confused by this, or consider it a hack?

• Geez people. Someone tries to help others, and you are all over him. @paglez If something has been available on a camera since its release, it can still be a "hidden feature". (Some less hidden than others). @joethepro Many peolple get confused by menus. Also, how does "not really a hack" translate in him saying it is a hack?

Someone will come across his video and find something new they had never explored.

• Ditto @fredfred27 Thanks for posting @simo777. I've had the GH4 for almost 2 years and I'm STILL finding "new stuff" about this camera's capabilities every time I use it.

Primarily shot with the GH4. Little help from the GH2 (hacked) and GH3

• @fredfred27 I was more referring to the title of the video saying its a hack. I just hate how that word is used for everything now, especially something as trivial as a shooting option thats plainly available from the menu. No offense intended.