Personal View site logo
Panasonic GX8 camera official topic
  • 265 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood, thanks. About the profiles, are good for grade? The GX7 its a little limited.

• @Manu4Vendetta Yep Live clean HDMI - see the video linked to the Shogun.

• Really like ISO 3200, got a feeling this is native ISO at the other end of 200/400. Normally on a GH4 this would be very noisy. It was pitch black outside apart from the mobile cam light.

Nice sensor (it feels like a MFT A7S !!!)

driftwood-dark-3200iso-gx8.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 665K
  • Cinelike D. :-)

screenshot GX8.png
    1280 x 720 - 696K
  • Really nice looking camera, but no video IBIS, no dice.

• Now that sounds like a nice camera that serves my desires for 2016...

Companies issue is that sales fall faster then they rise prices for new models to compensate :-)

Plus they cut people at fast rate making it hard to develop complex products, this is why we see so many Sony sensors. In a year or so we will see much more LSI sharing.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev "Next iterations will have 10 bit HEVC video and at 60fps. But companies need money now"

Now that sounds like a nice camera that serves my desires for 2016...

• Next iterations will have 10 bit HEVC video and at 60fps. But companies need money now.

• Maybe I am off base, but I don't think this camera offers more value than a 20MP Sony RX10 II, $999 RX100 IV or the $500 lower street price LX100 and G7, and priced way too close to a GH4...

http://reviews.gizmodo.com/sony-rx100-mark-iv-review-a-great-camera-for-a-ridicul-1717804368

I guess it's now a 4K crowded market, and there are tons of good options...

While I find this camera interesting, at it's heart, is it effectively a first beta pricepoint for what may come for the GH5 at around 2K later this year?

$1195 for GX8, $1499 for GH4 ... and $1999 for next GH5 with possible 4K at 60fps / 1080p at 120fps?

• Panasonic_Lumix_Gx8_review_21.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 470K
    Panasonic_Lumix_Gx8_review_11.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 609K
    Panasonic_Lumix_Gx8_review_18.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 495K
  • With Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 25mm f/1.4 ISO 12800 f/4.0 1/60

Panasonic_Lumix_Gx8_review_15.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 535K
  • Very expensive. I hope the GX8 have improvement for recording video, with the GX7 sometimes you see a color (and WB) in the screen and when you record is another. And the profiles for video with with cinematic intentions arent very balanced as the GH2.

• @sgreszcz I believe IBIS still works with the Olympus non-stabilized lenses, though not sure how many stabilization axis this amounts to. ETA - I see you were referring to video now.

• I wonder how bad the GX8 images are at ISO 25,600? And what the really clean max ISO is?

I am really hoping they use a 12MP s35 Sensor on the GH5 that is optimized for high ISO Video.

• By the way, does anyone know if this is a world camera (PAL/NTSC) like the GH4 (and unlike the G7)?

• @ MarcioK, it would be interesting if the 5-axis Hybrid fixes some of the jitter problems with their OIS lenses when shooting video. Sucks though that it doesn't work with any adapted or other micro4/3 lenses like Olympus.

• And with this, I guess that the GH5 will not have IBIS too.

• Other lenses = N.A.

Number 1 micro 4/3 bummer of 2015.

• Thanks @MarcioK - so effectively 2.5x in 35mm equivalent. That's moving in the wrong direction IMO. The GH5 will need to either oversample and downscale to 4K, or revert to a 12Mp sensor to get back to a 2x crop.

• @Tron Gordon Laing of Cameralabs (http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_GX8/) calculed in aprox. 1,25x the crop, against 1,1x in the g7 and 1,2 in GH4 - it means the crop is slightly bigger than the GH4.

• IBIS in GX8, as in http://photobyrichard.com/reviewbyrichard/panasonic-lumix-gx8-review/

When Taking Photos with: Compatible Panasonic lens with image stabiliser = Lens I.S. + Body I.S. (Dual I.S.) Other micro four third lenses with image stabiliser function = Lens I.S. Other lenses = Body I.S.

When Taking Videos with: Compatible Panasonic lens with image stabiliser = Lens I.S. or 5 Axis Hybrid (when E-Stabilisation is turned on) Other micro four third lenses with image stabiliser function = Lens I.S. or 5 Axis Hybrid (when E-Stabilisation is turned on) Other lenses = N.A.

• I wish they'd include the 4K video crop in the specs.