Personal View site logo
Roland R26 portable audio recorder
  • This is going to be the audio recorder I am going to buy most likely. Looks proper spec-ed, and the pricing is about right and indicates a higher quality then Zoom/Tascam offerings.

R-26: Portable Recorder

Discover True Multi-Dimensional Sound
    Superior detail, depth, and unparalleled flexibility—welcome to a new world of portable recording.
    The R-26 captures audio with high-definition direct sound, as well as the rich natural ambience of the recording environment. With dual stereo mics, six channels of simultaneous recording, and much more, this portable recorder offers true professional quality and flexibility, opening the door to limitless creative possibilities.

- Two types of built-in stereo microphones (omnidirectional and directional) that can be used in various combinations
    - Two XLR/TRS combo inputs with 48 V phantom power, plus an input for a stereo plug-in powered mic
    - Supports up to six channels (three stereo channels) of simultaneous recording
    - Large LCD touchscreen display for intuitive navigation
    - Large input-level knobs for fine adjustment
    - Built-in Hi-Speed USB interface for use as an audio interface or external storage
    - Loop-Back function; combine this with the built-in or external mics for the optimum live video streaming setup (only with Audio Interface function)
    - Bundled with SONAR LE software (PC)

More info: http://www.rolandsystemsgroup.com/products/100093

Pricing: around $500-$550

Available at:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=Roland%20R26&_sacat=0&_clu=2&_fcid=168&_localstpos&_stpos&gbr=1

http://www.amazon.com/Roland-r-26-R-26/dp/B005P4OPDO/

• 63 Replies sorted by
  • Seems interesting.
    Tascam is going to make things like Z4n, and Roland try to make things like TR-100 :-)
  • Hopefully it will be cheaper than $550. I'd be interested just for the volume knobs alone. Trying to quickly adjust the DR-100's volume is not the easiest thing in the world.
  • Fostex FR-2LE and Roland R-44 earned good appraisal. A far better than H4n and DR-100. But the built-in mics of H4n and DR-100 are nice match with a shot gun mic where the cardioid mics can record ambiant sound. R-44 looks great... except touchscreen. R302 has much simpler screen but no built-in mic.
  • This could be the recorder for most of the indie crowd. If it has some very good preamps from the r-44 for the price of $ 500 it will be a very good choice. Until now we had the h4n and dr100 but the preamps where not that good and above that some much more costly solution in the $ 800 up version for a field recorder.
  • Looking at specs, one of the advantages is that you can record XLR mikes, external input and cardioid mikes at the same time.
  • Looking at the spec it seems to be a very versatile recorder, but I hope they did not trade sound quality because of that. I would prefer just 2 high quality preamps to anything else. They can add everything they want over and above it but the base use should be the sound recording quality. I hope we don't have two wait too much for some reviews.
  • Impressive features...
  • Mine is arriving tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Finally proper sound recording to go with my mics and GH2.

• @sohus Nice. If possible, would be great if you can report the battery time (and overall impressions and sound quality ofcourse :)
  • 399 EURO (in The Netherlands). I guess that's about $499. I missed the postmen today.
  • Definitely curious to about your experience. I've actually been a little disappointed with my H4n and would love to hear that the noise floor is substantially lower. The fact that they've stated specific design concerns regarding separating the analog and digital signal paths, it seems this may be the case. Here's to hoping :)
  • I have received it but I need to test it. First impression: a bit big, a bit too much plastic but great touch screen and menu system and plenty of choices. They say the battery lasts 10 hours without phantom power. The combinations you can make with the different inputs (X/Y+Omni+Analog 1/2+Mic Input) are awesome. Going to see if I can do some testing tonight or tomorrow.
  • @sohus

We'll be waiting :-)
    Especially interesting how it behaves with low sensitive shotgun mikes.
  • Also the built-in speakers performance. Thanks.
  • I have upload some test files:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/626671/Roland%20R26%20Sohus%20for%20Personal-View.com.zip

Mics used:
    ATW-1821 wireless
    Rode NTG2 shotgun
    On-board (X+Y & Omni)
    The .txt file in the folder gives info on the input type.
  • @sohus
    what's your opinion so far?
  • Thanks sohus! Seems to have potential so far! It's hard to tell without being there of course and knowing your gain settings/distance from mic/etc, but it appears to be much more quiet than the H4n. I've been checking out the noise tests on Wingfield audio ( http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/portable-recorder-noise.html#samples ). Not sure where it sits relative to those but can't wait to hear more about the recorder.
  • @sohus

Thanks for files.

Can you make systematic test with NTG2 (it is not very sensitive mike).
    I mean speaking loud initially in low gain and go to highest gain and almost whisper (but trying to maintain level peaks on same level).
  • @vitaliy_kiselev
    I will do such a test later on. Planning a more thorough test with all my microphones and whispering ;)
  • It is important to have at least 10 sec of silence to judge the noise level of the preamp with the microphone.
  • Thanks sohus!
    From the test files it seems that the internal mikes are rather nosiy.
    Can you let us know what gain settings did you use?
    Waiting for further tests! :)
  • Could you record some ambient sounds with the internal mikes?
  • @sohus thanks for testing. would be great to read some of yours (and others) opinions after some use aswell. have you used more it after the first tests?