Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Roland R26 portable audio recorder
  • 63 Replies sorted by
  • Any idea how to make this unit record when you hit the shutter button on the GH2, can it be triggered by some type of external signal. Would be nice to have a little circuit that could do this, especially if you're a one man band.

• Does anyone know if the headphone out can be used to feed the GH2? I do this with the Zoom and the Sescom cable. I'll do this when I have to have a quick turn around edit.

Also, is the quality leaps and bounds beyond the Zoom in terms of XLR mic inputs?

Thanks.

• I sold the Zoom and went for the R-26 and I am quite happy with it even hen it was a loss of more than 200€ Pre amps are way better http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3146/rode-ntg-2-with-zoom-h4n-problems-choosing-alternatives/p1

Leaps and bounds is a question of your point of view. XLR input quality is also depending on your mic. Having an expensive mic with high sensitivity and low noise it might save the Zoom and a budget mic with low sensitivity and high noise will bring dissapointment about the Roland. I was working with a wireless Sennheiser set plus lavalier on the Zoom and this was absolutely fine - but trying to record sound with a boom was a real dissapointment with the Røde NTG-2.

Regarding headphone out to GH2 in: I don't see a reason why this should not work but I haven't tried

• Thanks for the info. I have a hypercardioid that needs to be pushed. That's where the zoom is failing me. So, maybe this is a good investment.

• Is there anyone out there who has time to test the headphone out on the R26? I'm about ready to get one, but was hoping to confirm before I purchase it that feeding the headphone out into the GH2 line in will work. I would be using a sescom cable. Thanks!

• It's been a while since I used it, but from what I recall think that the headphone signal is a little more noicy than the actual recording on the R26. Might be something to keep in mind. I always recorded on the R26 and synced in post.

• @evero Thanks for the response. I was mostly concerned about other issues, like possibly distortion or really bad hiss, pops, crackle, etc... I feed the Zoom to my GH2 all the time and audio is more than sufficient. My hope is that the noise introduced via the headphone/line out is at least the same as it is ont he Zoom.

Here's a link to a short doc I did where audio fed the Zoom directly into the cam. It was mixed from the GH2 embedded audio (not the original Zoom recorded content).

My main purpose for getting the Roland is that I'm hoping the preamps are good enough so that I can use my hypercardioid indoors. The mic requires that it gets pushed to 80 or 90 on the Zoom, which just introduces lots and lots of noise.

• Got the R26 today. It's a great recorder. The headphone out is very noisy compared to the Zoom. I am keeping the unit as it does a much better job recording the hypercardioid mic. That mic really shines now.

So, I'm reading the manual and learning about the auto sensitivity settings in the unit. When you are setting up a particular XLR mic, do you let the Roland do it's auto sensitivity setting or do you manually set the sensitivity?

Last question - do mics have specific sensitivities that I should be aware of (in terms of db?) or is it necessary to set the mic sensitivity different based on any given situation?

• Never mind my last question. I watched this - great video about mic sensitivity on the R44 and pertains to the R26. Explained everything I needed. Great tip about not lowering output levels after setting mic sensitivity - only use it to increase levels.

• So wouldn't it be better to go with a cheapy recorder and a field mixer like the SD 302 than say this unit. Doing doc and run and gun I can't see how you can fuss around with the levels very easily with this unit?

• It has good large meters and large knobs. Why would you be fussing.
    If you mean you want auto modes, it has that.

• Is it possible to split one mono input to two different mono channels in order to have them at different levels for safety? Something like the dual mono feature in marantz pmd661 and tascam dr-60d?

• Just considering getting one. Does the limiter on this actually work, ie,. avoids clipping when the level is too hot? It's a digital limiter which usually sucks, you want to limit in analogue before hitting/clipping the AD converter. And once it kicks in, what is the release time, ie. how long before it fades up to the original volume again?